Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Furlanfufi

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by Furlanfufi »

Well, I studied journalism in college, and here we have a saying: If your not bothering someone with your questions, then you're not doing journalism, you're doing marketing.

Indy

Re: Allegations of racism and misogyny within the Phoenix Suns: Inside Robert Sarver's 17-year tenure as owner

Post by Indy »

Furlanfufi wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:30 pm
Well, I studied journalism in college, and here we have a saying: If your not bothering someone with your questions, then you're not doing journalism, you're doing marketing.
I can't like this enough.

jonh

Post by jonh »

Indy wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:37 pm
Furlanfufi wrote:
I wish this was played in front of every interview on CNN, Fox News, and Jimmy Fallon.

Indy

Post by Indy »

jonh wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:22 am
Indy wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:37 pm
Furlanfufi wrote:
I wish this was played in front of every interview on CNN, Fox News, and Jimmy Fallon.
Well Fallon (and basically any other show like that) is marketing. You show up to promote your stuff.

But yes, your other points are valid. I wish there wasn't so much money to be made promoting bullshit and marketing people.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Much of what is alleged to be journalism now is "infotainment."
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Sports writing is not highly regarded as great journalism. Which is why it’s great when something critical comes along to crack open what’s going on behind the scenes. I hope this turns on its head that billionaires can’t just be team owners for their own sand boxes to run amok.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Sports Illustrated Daily Cover article today by Howard Beck: https://www.si.com/nba/2021/11/24/rober ... aily-cover

Robert Sarver and the NBA's Toughest Test Yet
What will the progressive sports league do about the Suns owner?
“This did not surprise me one bit,” Hall of Famer Paul Pierce said last week on The Crossover podcast. “If you go ask older players of my generation, this wouldn’t surprise them one bit.”

Although Pierce said he had not personally heard Sarver say anything racist, “This is something that’s been talked [about] amongst players. … The whispers get out. People talk about what type of owners, what type of people they are, and that’s something that’s been mentioned about Robert Sarver.”
Further down the list was Sarver, who contributed $179,000 to Republicans during the five-year period.
“The message has to be clear that this is not acceptable,” [Etan] Thomas says. “And I think, me personally, that Sarver should be removed.” Anything short of that, he says, would render the NBA’s social-justice efforts “null and void.”

Thomas adds, “You got to take a clear position and that will determine and affect Adam Silver’s legacy.”
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:22 pm
Sports Illustrated Daily Cover article today by Howard Beck: https://www.si.com/nba/2021/11/24/rober ... aily-cover

Robert Sarver and the NBA's Toughest Test Yet
What will the progressive sports league do about the Suns owner?
“This did not surprise me one bit,” Hall of Famer Paul Pierce said last week on The Crossover podcast. “If you go ask older players of my generation, this wouldn’t surprise them one bit.”

Although Pierce said he had not personally heard Sarver say anything racist, “This is something that’s been talked [about] amongst players. … The whispers get out. People talk about what type of owners, what type of people they are, and that’s something that’s been mentioned about Robert Sarver.”
Further down the list was Sarver, who contributed $179,000 to Republicans during the five-year period.
“The message has to be clear that this is not acceptable,” [Etan] Thomas says. “And I think, me personally, that Sarver should be removed.” Anything short of that, he says, would render the NBA’s social-justice efforts “null and void.”

Thomas adds, “You got to take a clear position and that will determine and affect Adam Silver’s legacy.”
What exactly does the little blurb about donations to the Republican Party have to do with this?

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I think the BLM movement was embraced by pro sports in general and especially the NBA. I could be wrong but, it seems to me the BLM was definitely not embraced by the GOP. Sarver donating that much money to the GOP might indicate to some his feelings on this topic.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Nodack wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:01 am
I think the BLM movement was embraced by pro sports in general and especially the NBA. I could be wrong but, it seems to me the BLM was definitely not embraced by the GOP. Sarver donating that much money to the GOP might indicate to some his feelings on this topic.
Being a Republican does not mean you’re racist, it means you report your support the Republican platform. And if you don’t know what that means do some research. I’m so sick of this shit.

There’s a reason I stay out of the politics section. Stop bringing it here.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I only included that part in the quotes because I thought it was a piece of information that some might have been unaware of and might find interesting. It wasn’t meant to start a political debate.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

I actually took a look at the FERC website and Sarver actually has a long history of donating to Democrats. For some reason, I could not get data on more recent years but it is quite possible and likely that he gave more money to Democrats than Republicans. How rich folks do political donations is that they give money to people they know regardless of party, and to get around campaign finance laws they will donate to a friend's candidate in return for getting the friend to donate to your candidate.

What worries me is that the more recent data is no longer available. And that the article did not provide a ratio of donations to Democratic vs. Republican candidates. One points to the erosion of US institutions The other points to the erosion of the media and journalistic integrity.

Back to sports...

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Let's be careful talking about political parties in this area. If you have strong thoughts about Republicans and Democrats, we have a Politics area for it. It is fine to note Sarver's political donations but beyond that we should talk about it over in the other section.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

What exactly does the little blurb about donations to the Republican Party have to do with this?
This is a political question. I didn’t ask it. You did. Don’t ask the question if you don’t want it answered. I answered it in as mellow of a way I could think of and was as honest as I could be in my answer.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Nodack wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:13 pm
This is a political question. I didn’t ask it. You did. Don’t ask the question if you don’t want it answered. I answered it in as mellow of a way I could think of and was as honest as I could be in my answer.
The blurb had nothing to do with basketball and did not need to be included. I’m so sick of you guys and your little jabs. I’m done with this topic.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Interesting…

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Executive Chairman of Disney, which owns ESPN that broke the story on Robert Sarver. Nothing to see here...
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

No thank you. He has absolutely no ties to Arizona.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Folks wanting Sarver gone should be careful what they wish for. I loathe the man, but it could be even worse, such as an owner who wants to move us to Vegas or Seattle or St Louis or wherever else.