Around the League: Week 5 (11/14 - 11/20)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Around the League: Week 5 (11/14 - 11/20)

Post by Shabazz »

National TV Schedule (ET):

Monday, November 15
8:00p Nuggets – Mavericks NBA TV
10:30p Bulls – Lakers NBA TV

Tuesday, November 16
7:30p Warriors – Nets TNT
10:00p Sixers – Jazz TNT

Wednesday, November 17
7:30p Lakers – Bucks ESPN
10:00p Mavericks – Suns ESPN

Thursday, November 18*
9:00p Sixers – Nuggets NBA TV

Friday, November 19
7:30p Lakers – Celtics ESPN
10:00p Mavericks – Suns ESPN

Saturday, November 20
7:30p Hornets – Hawks NBA TV

*Interesting note from Marc Stein recently. The NBA has basically punted on NBA on TNT Thursdays until January because Thursday football is crushing it so badly.

Links

Nikola Jokic Has Serious, All-Time-Great Potential to Repeat As MVP

How the Heat Got Their Bubble Groove Back

Minnesota Timberwolves fined $250,000 for player activities in Miami area this September

The Scottie Barnes Revolution Is Under Way in Toronto

Carmelo Anthony’s New Shot Selection Is Working. Trae Young’s Is Not. (Interesting bit here about Chris Paul)

Tyrese Maxey has taken the Sixer reins in rapid fashion

Superbone

Re: Around the League: Week 5 (11/14 - 11/20)

Post by Superbone »

*Interesting note from Marc Stein recently. The NBA has basically punted on NBA on TNT Thursdays until January because Thursday football is crushing it so badly.
Interesting. I wonder if they'll keep doing the Lefko Tuesday show.
"Be Legendary."

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Amazing! He (Paul) has had NO shots at the rim this season and 71% of his overall attempts in the mid range. Middy King. I think they are grossly exaggerating his downward trend scoring and shot selection as being an overall decline to watch out for in his game. They clearly aren't looking at his steal and defensive numbers, best assist to turnover ratio and leading the league in assists with enough weight or value.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

pickle

Post by pickle »

Bulls are laying waste to the Lakers right now. I kind of want to hate watch this game.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The Bulls are playing well and they're definitely one of the best teams, but they have a size problem. Much like the rest of the league, how are they going to stop Giannis or KD in a series? Not to mention other guys like Adebayo, Embiid or other skilled front court players in their conference.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Yeah, I don't think they are there yet... Bulls fans are just happy to be winning games, kind of like how we felt last year after game 16 and things started looking up. Their issue is that their lone center is Vucevic, but I guess at least half of the pundits had them outside the top 6 and in the play-in, so their fans will take this.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Also, totally random, but I was looking at box scores and saw that there's an A. Wiggins and a T. Mann on the OKC roster.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

It looks like the Rockets really made a mistake by "mutually agreeing" to bench John Wall. They're clearly trying to develop the young guys/tank, but this is is the kind of thing that could destroy some confidence. They would have lost plenty of games with Wall playing too, but he's a good enough player that he could have put their youth in a position to thrive a little more.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm not so sure, 'bazz. John Wall's effort is inconsistent and I'd be suspicious of him sitting out games for any little injury, which would add more difficulty and uncertainty to the rotation. I suppose he'd at least help their issue of not having a point guard at all.

They still have other large problems like playing Kevin Porter Jr. too much and Alpren Sengun not enough. Malachi Flynn is a guy I think could work his way into becoming an average starting PG and would fit their roster timeline, but I think Toronto values him quite a bit.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

pickle wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:52 pm
Yeah, I don't think they are there yet... Bulls fans are just happy to be winning games, kind of like how we felt last year after game 16 and things started looking up. Their issue is that their lone center is Vucevic, but I guess at least half of the pundits had them outside the top 6 and in the play-in, so their fans will take this.
I love the additions of Lonzo Ball and Caruso. Gives them a nasty pair of defensive guards to anchor their perimeter defense. As for size, I agree that it'll be hard for them to stop the likes of Giannis and Embiid, but if they're already up at that level, that is a huge accomplishment for them.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I'll admit I was suspicious how a team built around LaVine DeRozan and Vucevic will fare on the defensive end, and now Pat Williams is out for the season, but all credit to their team, starting Jevonte Green in place of Williams and continuing to chug along. DeRozan is reminding everyone that he still matters.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:50 pm
The Bulls are playing well and they're definitely one of the best teams, but they have a size problem. Much like the rest of the league, how are they going to stop Giannis or KD in a series? Not to mention other guys like Adebayo, Embiid or other skilled front court players in their conference.
That was actually my biggest takeaway
Their small ball defense was nuts last night. Their double team schemes were on point and the rotations were 🔥🔥
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

Question, where does Steph rank on the all time list? To make it easier, let’s just compare to anyone post Jordan. LeBron is 1, but who comes next? Is there a chance Steph is next?

I think I currently go:

1. LeBron
2. Duncan
3. Shaq
4. Curry
5. Kobe

I think there’s a world where Curry passes those other 2 not named LeBron. Another mvp/title and a few more years as the best guard in the league and he starts entering the top 5 all time conversation.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Lebron
Durant
Duncan
Curry
Kobe

(that's right, no Shaq. Duncan can be center. He was a hybrid center, anyway ...)
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Split T

Post by Split T »

LazarusLong wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:09 pm
Lebron
Durant
Duncan
Curry
Kobe

(that's right, no Shaq. Duncan can be center. He was a hybrid center, anyway ...)
He’d 100% be a C today…only even was a PF when he played because the Spurs had David Robinson already.

Durant is definitely next on my list as well. He’s got real opportunity to move up too.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'd still put Kobe above Curry. Kobe was an assassin and won a whole bunch of titles. Curry is having an exceptional career but is still short of Kobe unless he wins a few more.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:17 am
I'd still put Kobe above Curry. Kobe was an assassin and won a whole bunch of titles. Curry is having an exceptional career but is still short of Kobe unless he wins a few more.
Kobe has a more complete career for sure. I just think Curry had a higher peak.

Curry is 4 All-NBA 1st teams, 2 MVP, 3 titles
Kobe is 11 All-NBA 1st teams, 1 MVP, 5 titles

Curry won’t ever catch Kobe in all-nba, but say he gets to 7 and adds another mvp and title? He’s ahead for sure I think

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Things I didn't expect to read

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Split T

Post by Split T »

That screams small sample size and regression to the mean to me. He can hit a corner 3, but the other stuff won’t last.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I like PJ Tucker a lot, but he's getting old, and he has really struggled offensively the last few seasons. I want to see how he does in March or in the playoffs before I declare him to be back.