2022 Trade Deadline Talk

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: 2022 Trade Deadline Talk

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

(unzips)
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

At this point I don’t think Thad has any trade value. Has t shown a whole lot in the limited times he’s played. I’d be interested in him as a buyout but wouldn’t trade anything more than a conditional second rounder for him
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Thad Young? I am not sure he's really what we need. Hope the Suns have a plan to get a guard. I would have liked Schroder actually, but I think we'll get outbid. Hope the Bucks don't get him.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

I think the most likely outcome from this trade season is:

* Pick up Thad off of waivers. San Antonio has a good enough reputation with players they wouldn't mess it up by letting Thad rot for the rest of the season. Suns know it, and will wait it out. I like this: Thad's a legit PF, and his efficiency numbers are still good. Suns are weak at PF depth, with a reliable SF/PF rotation that only includes Mikal, Jae, and Cam, all of whom are natural SFs, or combo forwards. Thad's got something left in the tank, and he's a good passer.

* Stix is gone. For what, I don't know, but he's gone. Get it out of your head that we might re-sign him over the summer. He's going to be a part of whatever deal we make.

* There will be a deal for some sort of PG/SG/SF. A player like Booker who can play multiple positions would be ideal, but that's a stretch. Payne, when healthy, is still a good offensive initiator, but Payton is a terrible shooter, Shamet's been bad, and who plays behind Mikal? Book's our starting SG. Payne's our primary back up PG. I could see Gordon, Holiday, Shroeder, KCP, Justin Champagnie, Goran Dragic, Kenrich Williams, and Corey Joseph all being targets.

Anyone watching the 4th quarter at the Wizards game could see the Suns offense was just DOA with Payton running it. Yes, we've got a bunch of reserves injured (Payne, Nader, Kaminsky, Saric) but it shouldn't be THAT bad.
Last edited by Wormwood on Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Wormwood wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:47 am
I think the most likely outcome from this trade season is:

* Pick up Thad off of waivers. San Antonio has a good enough reputation with players they wouldn't mess it up by letting Thad rot for the rest of the season. Suns know it, and will wait it out. I like this: Thad's a legit PF, and his efficiency numbers are still good. Suns are weak at PF depth, with a reliable SF/PF rotation that only includes Mikal, Jae, and Cam, all of whom are natural SFs, or combo forwards. Thad's got something left in the tank, and he's a good passer.

* Stix is gone. For what, I don't know, but he's gone. Get it out of your head that we might re-sign him over the summer. He's going to be a part of whatever deal we make.

* There will be a deal for some sort of PG/SG/SF. A player like Booker who can play multiple positions would be ideal, but that's a stretch. Payne, when healthy, is still a good offensive initiator, but Payton is a terrible shooter, Shamet's been bad, and who plays behind Mikal? Book's our starting SG. Payne's our primary back up PF. I could see Gordon, Holiday, Shroeder, KCP, Justin Champagnie, Goran Dragic, Kenrich Williams, and Corey Joseph all being targets.

Anyone watching the 4th quarter at the Wizards game could see the Suns offense was just DOA with Payton running it. Yes, we've got a bunch of reserves injured (Payne, Nader, Kaminsky, Saric) but it shouldn't be THAT bad.
Good post, agree with a lot of it. Not sure what the Spurs will do, but it's very unlikely they keep Thad. I like him as a 3/4/5, a bit bigger and stronger than Cam, taller than Jae and can matchup with a lot of different forwards and smaller 5s.

I'm still holding out hope for Stix but it seems we've made up our minds on him.

I would like a 6-6/6-7 SG/SF with passing skills over a pure backup PG or a pure SG, unless it's someone too talented to pass up like EG. Even if Shamet were shooting better, we need a bigger, physical defender at that 2 spot.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:05 am

Good post, agree with a lot of it. Not sure what the Spurs will do, but it's very unlikely they keep Thad. I like him as a 3/4/5, a bit bigger and stronger than Cam, taller than Jae and can matchup with a lot of different forwards and smaller 5s.

I'm still holding out hope for Stix but it seems we've made up our minds on him.

I would like a 6-6/6-7 SG/SF with passing skills over a pure backup PG or a pure SG, unless it's someone too talented to pass up like EG. Even if Shamet were shooting better, we need a bigger, physical defender at that 2 spot.
The guy who fits that description (and is available) almost PERFECTLY is Tomas Satoransky, a 6-7, 210 lb PG/SG/SF who can do a little of everything. He's having a miserable shooting year, and is on the trade block. Salary matches Saric's, and could be had for cheap (relatively) given he's more or less benched, and has no future on the team. Unless we think we can get him on buy out, I think this might be the surprise kind of trade Jones loves springing on us.

BTW: Thad Young has a rep as a great defender on Giannis.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm happy to have Thad Young as long as we don't have to give up anything important to get him. Sign him after a buyout, or maybe give them Stix, or whatever.

I wonder if Bismack Biyombo is disappointed with his role now that the rotation is settling a bit. He was so great for us for a handful of games, but now he's stuck behind Ayton and McGee and not getting very many minutes.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I just hope Jones sees how dreadful our bench backcourt is. We really need help. Shamet is a disaster, Payne is very inconsistent this year, Payton is a large net negative overall, and we don't have anybody else who can even be put out on the court consistently (Jackson?).

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wormwood wrote:
Payne's our primary back up PF.
I was with you Worm until this. ;)
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:33 am
I just hope Jones sees how dreadful our bench backcourt is. We really need help. Shamet is a disaster, Payne is very inconsistent this year, Payton is a large net negative overall, and we don't have anybody else who can even be put out on the court consistently (Jackson?).
I do not agree that Shamet "is a disaster". He could be a lot better but he hasn't been horrible. He's no EP for example.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I feel great about 6 guys in the postseason.(Paul, Book, Mikal, Jae, Ayton, Cam J) I’m comfortable with McGee or Biyombo in the right situation. I’m halfway comfortable with Payne, he’s been playing better lately, before the injury, but I want to see more. I feel ok about Shamet for maybe 4 minutes a half, but I’d prefer to replace his minutes and would not want to count on him for extended run.

To me, adding another player to the group of 6 we can feel great about is the ideal scenario(without losing someone in the top 6 of course). If we can’t do that, adding a player or two we feel comfortable with and can push the Payton/Nader/Wainright group to the deep bench and allow us to push the Shamet/Kaminsky group out of the regular rotation as well.

I’m still very much Team Gordon, but if we can add say Thad Young as a buyout and like Terrence Ross(or someone similar), I’d feel pretty good.

Paul/Payne/Payton
Booker/Ross/Shamet
Bridges/Johnson/Nader
Crowder/Young/Kaminsky
Ayton/McGee/Biyombo

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Wonder if we could talk Sacramento into a do-over and trade Jalen for Haliburton straight up? :D

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Vladimir_Taltos wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:47 am
Wonder if we could talk Sacramento into a do-over and trade Jalen for Haliburton straight up? :D
Maybe we can get Boston to agree on backsies on the DJ / Rick Robey trade, too.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Split T wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:03 am
I feel great about 6 guys in the postseason.(Paul, Book, Mikal, Jae, Ayton, Cam J) I’m comfortable with McGee or Biyombo in the right situation. I’m halfway comfortable with Payne, he’s been playing better lately, before the injury, but I want to see more. I feel ok about Shamet for maybe 4 minutes a half, but I’d prefer to replace his minutes and would not want to count on him for extended run.

To me, adding another player to the group of 6 we can feel great about is the ideal scenario(without losing someone in the top 6 of course). If we can’t do that, adding a player or two we feel comfortable with and can push the Payton/Nader/Wainright group to the deep bench and allow us to push the Shamet/Kaminsky group out of the regular rotation as well.

I’m still very much Team Gordon, but if we can add say Thad Young as a buyout and like Terrence Ross(or someone similar), I’d feel pretty good.

Paul/Payne/Payton
Booker/Ross/Shamet
Bridges/Johnson/Nader
Crowder/Young/Kaminsky
Ayton/McGee/Biyombo
I think Cam Payne needs another scorer to play with to free himself up. Mcgee is def solid in playoffs. Suns def need to add another player improve their chances here. Gordon or Ross I think should do it.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I don’t have any concerns about McGee…just that there might be some situations where he doesn’t make as much sense and you’d rather deploy more of a small ball backup 5.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'm also on Team Gordon.

"Be Legendary."

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:13 pm
I swear I made my comment about LeVert before seeing this. :lol:

Off subject kinda...but living in Indianapolis there are all kinds of trade rumors swirling on just about every Pacer player, but it lead me to checking up on the ghost of TJ Warren since fans were drooling to see LeVert and TJ play together before the recent trade. I can't for the life of me figure out what the hell is going on with TJ Warren. Dude has missed 15 months with a stress fracture in his foot. That is insane. He's officially missed more time than Victor Oladipo did with a ruptured quad.

There's a recent video of him shooting freethrows in practice but still no news on any sort of timetable for his return. Pacers need bodies with all the injuries so there's no reason that they are purposely sitting him out.

Last report came in January when Carlisle said since TJ had Covid he's been isolating away from the team but has made progress on his foot during that time. Anyone else think that sounds like a load of BS?

I rooted for TJ when he was here, certainly during some dark times, but man it feels like he's fleecing people at this point.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Split T

Post by Split T »

There’s definitely something else going on with TJ…not sure what, but I doubt it’s just a stress fracture.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:48 am
Wormwood wrote:
Payne's our primary back up PF.
I was with you Worm until this. ;)
I meant PG. Too many Cams.