2022 Trade Deadline Talk

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
pickle

Re: 2022 Trade Deadline Talk

Post by pickle »

The guys coming in are nice but I’m not sending out a first for Batum. If it’s a second I would do that deal.

Split T

Post by Split T »

pickle wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:34 pm
The guys coming in are nice but I’m not sending out a first for Batum. If it’s a second I would do that deal.
What if it’s a protected 1st that most likely ends up as 2 2nd’s?

Batum may not be worth a 1st but at this point I’d just go all the way in. This would give us a 12 deep roster of playable guys in the post season. Maybe 13-14 depending on Frank and the buyout market. I think the title is wide open this year and this is absolutely our best shot at it. I’ll sacrifice the future a bit for that.

Also I don’t think the Clippers would trade with us unless we made it worth their while. We could probably go get Craig, but I think Batum is an absolute perfect fit and I’d sacrifice a 1st for that. He defends, shoots, moves the ball, and can play small ball 5 if we need a different look.

Indy

Post by Indy »

You don't give up picks for a guy to be your 8-9th man that has a player option after this year.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I mean we gave up a pick for Shamet who is our 9th man currently.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:06 pm
I mean we gave up a pick for Shamet who is our 9th man currently.
He is 7th in minutes played. You could argue that Cam Payne should be beating him out for minutes, so maybe he is our 8th man. And clearly JJ and Monty saw him as more than a partial season rental. Maybe if they see Batum as someone they want to keep around then it might make sense.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:47 pm
Here’s my dream scenario:

Give Houston and LAC each a first and I’d still do this:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ycmpsv79

We’d still have 2 roster spots. Go grab a 3rd string pg in the buyout market and maybe sign Justin Jackson to a real contract.

Paul/Payne/Buyout FA
Booker/Gordon/Shamet
Bridges/Johnson/Jackson
Crowder/Batum/Wainright
Ayton/McGee/Biyombo/Kaminsky

We’d be title favorites and far and away the deepest team in the league.
Nice one, now, given that we are dreaming, I would tweak it a little.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y8t5lafe

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

(I screwed up and meant to post this here the first time.)

That's a pretty good deal for Philly considering how this ordeal has gone so far.

---

I agree that Grant doesn't make sense for Philly if they have Tobias Harris. He's not going to be happy in that situation.

Philly: Haliburton, Hield, Bey
Sacramento: Grant, Olynyk, future Philly 1st
Detroit: Simmons, Bagley

Philly does it because Embiid is an MVP candidate and Morey is holding an ace up his sleeve that I think he needs to play. Making this trade while Embiid is healthy makes them a contender. Also adds a different young guy to attach to Harris in a trade for Dame.

Kings don't do it because they're getting killed in this trade. I still think Grant is a good fit there because he wants the ball and he'll have plenty of it Sacramento. He might even re-sign there if they don't low ball him and it's not a disaster with Fox. Maybe they use Barnes to get a better SG for Fox.

Detroit does it because they should be open to acquiring a guy like Ben Simmons with their current roster. (I'm not sold on this. Simmons still terrifies me.)
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I came across this looking up future draft picks. This protection is ridiculous. Detroit would have to re-work that with OKC to trade a pick in a deal involving Simmons.
Detroit Pistons 2022 first round draft pick to Oklahoma City
Detroit's 1st round pick to Oklahoma City (via Houston) protected for selections 1-16 in 2022, 1-18 in 2023, 1-18 in 2024, 1-13 in 2025, 1-11 in 2026 and 1-9 in 2027; if Detroit has not conveyed a 1st round pick to Oklahoma City by 2027, then Detroit will instead convey its 2027 2nd round pick to Oklahoma City [Detroit-Houston, 11/24/2020; Houston-Oklahoma City, 7/30/2021]
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Split T

Post by Split T »

So Boston is trying to get under the luxury tax, would you trade Saric for Josh Richardson? Adds about 3 million this year and next year to our cap number. He’s shooting 41% from 3 and has some ability to get to the rim.

I liked him a lot in Miami when he showed some on ball creation ability…that’s kinda faded, but maybe in the .5 system he makes some sense?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Josh Richardson is a poor allocation of resources at his salary for the 2022-23 season, but he fills a hole in the rotation for this season.

I view him similar to Bob Cov. He's a vet, but I don't really trust playing him in a big spot. There should be less costly guys available who fit a similar profile.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya that is true…12 million for a 9th man is too much…if he didn’t have another year on the contract he’d make a lot more sense.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I don't know how you guys are getting the links to the trade machine to work, so I'm posting it this way...

Sacramento: Tobias Harris, Domantas Sabonis, Jeremy Lamb
Philly: Harrison Barnes, Buddy Hield, Torrey Craig
Indy: De'Aaron Fox, Marvin Bagley, Matisse Thybulle

Doesn't do much for Philly besides get off of Harris' money a bit sooner, and it doesn't address their biggest problem, Ben Simmons.

Split T

Post by Split T »

You have to save the trade on the trade machine before linking it…Took me a bit to figure it out

Split T

Post by Split T »

Question, I saw this on an ESPN article:
The Suns do have two things working for them in potential trades, beyond the players on their roster: They are allowed to trade up to three first-round picks in any deal (if the protection is lifted off the 2022 first owed to Oklahoma City), and they are $8.2 million below the luxury tax.
Can we just lift the protection without OKC’s approval? They would surely ask for something if we tried to do that, right?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:34 pm
Question, I saw this on an ESPN article:
The Suns do have two things working for them in potential trades, beyond the players on their roster: They are allowed to trade up to three first-round picks in any deal (if the protection is lifted off the 2022 first owed to Oklahoma City), and they are $8.2 million below the luxury tax.
Can we just lift the protection without OKC’s approval? They would surely ask for something if we tried to do that, right?
The protection would definitely need to be renegotiated.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I wonder what OKC would ask for…I mean they’re clearly getting the pick this year so they shouldn’t have too much leverage. Would a 2nd do it? I’m sure it would just be future draft stuff. Maybe OKC prefers not to have the pick next year and just takes a 2024 or 2026 protected pick instead.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Might even just be Sarver parting with his favorite player, Cash Considerations.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:49 pm
Might even just be Sarver parting with his favorite player, Cash Considerations.
Ya that’s probably more likely

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:47 pm
I wonder what OKC would ask for…I mean they’re clearly getting the pick this year so they shouldn’t have too much leverage. Would a 2nd do it? I’m sure it would just be future draft stuff. Maybe OKC prefers not to have the pick next year and just takes a 2024 or 2026 protected pick instead.
I liked David Nash’s suggestion, when he proposed a Kenrich Williams trade, of OKC giving us back this year’s pick and us giving them a protected 2024 pick instead.

This years pick will likely be 28-30. OKC may prefer to roll that to a future year when we may not be as good and move up 10 or so spots.

A move like that also allows us to trade this year’s pick if the right player became available.