2022 Trade Deadline Talk

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: 2022 Trade Deadline Talk

Post by ShelC »

I think you have to do that trade.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Rotation would be:

Paul/Booker/Mikal/Crowder/Ayton with
Payne/Gordon/Cam/Craig/McGee off the bench…we’d spend a fortune next year but I think we’d be title favorites this year and have a shot to repeat.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Hell, yeah ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

We would do that trade 10 times out of 10. Not clear if the other teams would do it, though. Seems like we get the best end of it.

pickle

Post by pickle »

There’s no way that trade happens for multiple reasons. Pacers are very high on Jackson and they won’t trade him for what they are getting. We also aren’t going into the luxury tax this year, as the payout this season from the tax teams will be well over ten million.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I’ve also not lost faith on Shamet.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I would much rather go with who we have, but that's too much talent/depth to pass up. I haven't given up on Shamet, or Payne for that matter, but Gordon can give you 30 on any given night and that's a huge boost.

I wonder if CP's had any input or insight into EG or Schroder having played with both.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Gordon is a good player and I’m not saying I prefer shamet to him. I meant that 1. No way we take on that much additional salary and go into the tax with Sarver at the helm; and 2. Shamet trade value isn’t high and he can do more for us than he can fetch back in a trade. I see him as more than the salary filler he seems to be right now.

pickle

Post by pickle »

I’m still somewhat intrigued by the Schroeder for Stix deal if it’s very clear that we won’t be keeping Stix and he can’t be a solution at the 4 as a deep backup once Cam J is back. In this scenario I’d move Payton and still keep Payne.

Split T

Post by Split T »

pickle wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:09 pm
There’s no way that trade happens for multiple reasons. Pacers are very high on Jackson and they won’t trade him for what they are getting. We also aren’t going into the luxury tax this year, as the payout this season from the tax teams will be well over ten million.
I just threw Jackson in as salary filler, can switch him out for another contract.

How far under the luxury tax are we? Would this push us over this year?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Just checked, we add 4.3 million in salary this year with that trade and from what I can tell we are 5 million under the tax line, so I think we’d still be under the tax if I’m reading it correctly.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:05 pm
Just checked, we add 4.3 million in salary this year with that trade and from what I can tell we are 5 million under the tax line, so I think we’d still be under the tax if I’m reading it correctly.
Ok then I guess I don’t get that trade machine interface at all as it had suns at - 7 mil luxury…

Split T

Post by Split T »

pickle wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:17 pm
Split T wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:05 pm
Ok then I guess I don’t get that trade machine interface at all as it had suns at - 7 mil luxury…
Ya I’m not sure what that was saying. The luxury tax is 136 million and we are at 131 million right now from what I can tell. We’d add like 6 million to next years cap number before re-signing Ayton. We’d be pushing 170 million before luxury tax payments.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I just discovered Eric Gordon’s final year on his deal is non-guaranteed. So he’s really an expiring contract next season. That’s not as tough a pill to swallow.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:54 pm
I just discovered Eric Gordon’s final year on his deal is non-guaranteed. So he’s really an expiring contract next season. That’s not as tough a pill to swallow.
I think it is the year after that is non-guaranteed. Still on the hook for the 18.2M this year and the 19.6M next year.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:30 pm
Split T wrote:
I think it is the year after that is non-guaranteed. Still on the hook for the 18.2M this year and the 19.6M next year.
Correct, that’s what I meant. I thought we’d have two years left after this one. Next year will be expensive, but if we were to make a move for him he could come off the books before Cam J’s extension(potentially) kicks in. We’d also be getting rid of Dario’s deal next year, so we’d be adding 10 million in salary to our books. Not sure that’s palatable for Sarver as it would be even more with luxury tax payments, but Payne/Shamet would also probably be movable contracts next year and expendable if Gordon is healthy.

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

I think that whatever the Suns pull off, it's going to come out of left field and no one will see it coming.

Sort of like acquiring Torrey Craig last year.

Sort of like calling in Bismack Biyombo this year (Does he remind anyone else of Mark West a la 1989?)

Jones has a good eye for league role-players, and I think this will be no different.

That said....

Thaddeus Young hasn't played in 3 weeks, and was one of only 2 Spurs players to log a DNP-CD last night. I suspect he's begging the Spurs for a buy out or a trade. If he's bought out,, Suns can offer up to $4.5 Million. He's be a solid addition. So would Christian Wood, or Larry Nance Jr.

Even more than that, though, we need an upgrade at back-up SG/SF: Shamet is terrible, Cam is big for a SF and is also our back up PF. Need a 6-5 200 lb 3-and-D type player to back up Bridges and Booker more than anything else, and another PF is our second biggest need.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:40 pm
Indy wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:30 pm
Split T wrote:
Correct, that’s what I meant. I thought we’d have two years left after this one. Next year will be expensive, but if we were to make a move for him he could come off the books before Cam J’s extension(potentially) kicks in. We’d also be getting rid of Dario’s deal next year, so we’d be adding 10 million in salary to our books. Not sure that’s palatable for Sarver as it would be even more with luxury tax payments, but Payne/Shamet would also probably be movable contracts next year and expendable if Gordon is healthy.
Well listening to the timeline podcast, apparently there is a trigger in Gordon’s contract that guarantees the final year if he’s on the team that wins the championship…I think we’d take that trade off.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Yes please!

Split T

Post by Split T »

Here’s my dream scenario:

Give Houston and LAC each a first and I’d still do this:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ycmpsv79

We’d still have 2 roster spots. Go grab a 3rd string pg in the buyout market and maybe sign Justin Jackson to a real contract.

Paul/Payne/Buyout FA
Booker/Gordon/Shamet
Bridges/Johnson/Jackson
Crowder/Batum/Wainright
Ayton/McGee/Biyombo/Kaminsky

We’d be title favorites and far and away the deepest team in the league.