Game Day: Suns (35-9) vs Pacers (17-29), Saturday 1/22/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Game Day: Suns (35-9) vs Pacers (17-29), Saturday 1/22/22

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

My bad.

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

(Editors note: This Pacers team is really bad right now. This wasn't really a fair match of basketball talent.)

That was the first time I've seen Chris Paul play in person. What a clinic. His ballhandling and passing are incredible. He had a pass in the 2Q to Mikal that looked to be 70mph in person, and it was on a dime. (https://go.nba.com/0cvoq) He was well worth the price of admission alone and on par with all elite athletic performances around the world. It honestly reminds me of watching MSN in person at Barca some years back.

This game was everything I ever wanted to see from Mikal. He really takes up like 25% of the court with his arms extended on the defensive weakside, and he was just so efficient tonight. I think he's due to have a good run of form after suffering the finger injury a little while back.

I already knew this from watching on TV, but seeing it in person was different. Biyombo and McGee set amazing screens. The baseline court perspective from my seat had a really nice view from the ball handler's angle and both guys were constantly creating space in the paint on great screens. Biyombo's box score looks otherworldly for him, but all he really did was play hard in the 8-foot space around the rim. He got to the right spots and made some nice catch and conversions. The Pacers G-League front court also wasn't putting up much resistance.

Besides being bigger in person, Cam Johnson took a while to be noticed in this one. Seeing him out there makes me a believer though. The Suns can't let him get away. His skill development is a little slow and he's on the older side relative to NBA experience, but his size is really going to keep him in the league for a long time and I think some people will be surprised at the salary figures on his next deal.

OK, the unfortunate parts. Injuries to Crowder and Cam Payne were rough. Essentially the same play in both situations and both guys appeared to injure their off-hands. Seeing Crowder get up and run to the locker room was worrying, but the arena replay didn't show an angle of when the injury happened. Cam Payne's injury looked a bit rough, but it was his right wrist. Best believe I fired off a good couple jokes about it not being a big deal since he never uses his right hand. I laugh when I'm nervous.

Booker, what a bummer. The first thing I noticed on the court when I walked into the arena was Booker doing some weird one-legged hop exercises while lifting something that resembled a punching bag over his head. Given the his box score performance in this game, that warm up routine might've been the most impressive thing I saw from him. I'm only kidding. He worked his ass off all game and he had several shots hit one side of the rim and roll out the other side. Just an off night. It happens. If I'm being honest it only makes me want to go the Utah game on Monday to see him play against Donovan Mitchell.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Do it! (Utah game.)
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:50 am
It happens. If I'm being honest it only makes me want to go the Utah game on Monday to see him play against Donovan Mitchell.
Mitchell is out for Monday’s game.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:44 pm
Were you there, Dack? Did you wish them luck? And then add, “You’re going to need it!”
I was loading in for a gig and noticed the busses, entourage wearing Pacers shirts. Did say good luck to one guy. I didn’t say it sarcastically though even though I was thinking it.

Suns win again with a horrible Booker night. He’s going to get goaded by his teammates for that windmill almost dunk.

Biyombo, wow. We are stacked. Keep it going.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:42 pm
bajanguy008 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:18 pm
But despite our bad luck tonight yet Monty leaves in the guys too late again

I just don't understand
I’m not sure what you’re talking about tonight. The Pacers made it close. Who did he leave in too late? And when?
Sorry man
Might seem like an over reaction :oops: as it was only 40secs but we go up 10 with Book shaking his head that the ball finally dropped. Timeout
Usually that's a sub the other four guys, fifth person waits at scorer's table and checks in after Book scores free throw. So yea was only 40secs and two trips up the court but only takes one possession for something to happen.... :oops:
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Cool Recap "FF" 👍 8-)

I would have caught the shooting routine he does so actually looked for it on YouTube last year. This the latest one I watched the other day cause as you said it's interesting to see all the little things that go into getting right for the game.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Biz been here for 10 games and he has 2 DNPs
In the other games I think he probably deserved the game ball in like 4 of them smh. Crazy how well he has fit in
Even the free throws is also good right now :o 8-)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Here's where it looks like Payne hurt his right hand - maybe on the landing as he grabs it right away

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:42 am
Superbone wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:42 pm
bajanguy008 wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:18 pm
But despite our bad luck tonight yet Monty leaves in the guys too late again

I just don't understand
I’m not sure what you’re talking about tonight. The Pacers made it close. Who did he leave in too late? And when?
Sorry man
Might seem like an over reaction :oops: as it was only 40secs but we go up 10 with Book shaking his head that the ball finally dropped. Timeout
Usually that's a sub the other four guys, fifth person waits at scorer's table and checks in after Book scores free throw. So yea was only 40secs and two trips up the court but only takes one possession for something to happen.... :oops:
Yeah, I never thought about it in this game to be honest with you. I just rewatched the end of the game on the Pacers broadcast this time. After the timeout with 40 seconds remaining, neither team changed its personnel. I have noticed that, and I don’t know if it’s a sign of respect for the other team or what, but Monty doesn’t sub out his players until the other team gives up and subs out theirs.
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Good team win with everyone contributing. This looked like Book's night to be off/flat, as he was 5-23 and didn't look like he had his legs - might've been the effects of the road trip and carrying the scoring load the past few games. Still, he's a threat whenever he touches the ball and his defense held up so he was still impactful.

CP had it working early with his jumper, almost knowing Book was cold and deciding it was his turn to score the points in this one. Super efficient going 8-11 (he was 7-7 at one point) with 18 assists and 4 steals. He's just got it all figured out and now seems like he's chasing his own perfect game because he knows he's got everything else down (passing, shooting, defense, running the team). His chemistry with Bismack is off the charts and it's surprising to see it form so quick. CP is great with DA and JaVale, but he and Bismack just seem to click best. Both guys make each other's jobs a lot easier.

I still think Bismack might be better as a starter but he's effective nonetheless. It looked like his energy was getting the better of him at times, trying too hard to guard on the perimeter and getting beat and just jumping around everywhere on defense - sometimes less is more. Great motor tho and is only getting better for us. Also noticed Bismack making the kickout pass to the perimeter a few times after getting the pass on the PnR which is a nice development.

Stix is buried again (unless minutes open up if Jae is out) and I think it's just a comfort level with the group and with Monty coaching. He's shown he can play and he'd be playing if we didn't have this depth at center. We just have two really, really good options ahead of him.

Mikal was everywhere - only a few set plays which he typically scores on and then the rest come in the flow of the game. These are the Matrix type of games I'd like to see more of. Cam Johnson is still finding his shot but he does everything else well enough to offset his misses.

Really unfortunate about Payne and Jae. Injuries are the only thing that can set us back this year and both guys are so important to us. Similar fall and injury for both - those kinds of injuries could be anything from a sprain to needing surgery, so just need to hope for the best. If Jae is out, interested to see if Stix gets those backup minutes. If either or both miss extended time, wonder if we seek out a trade or look to pick up a vet if there's one out there.

Also sucks we let the Pacers hang around but 13-15pt leads midway thru the 4th just don't hold up with the way offenses are now. You can't bring your bench in and rest your starters with 6-7 minutes left because the other team can easily make a run.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Is Bismack’s play bringing Ayton’s value down?

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

There’s pretty much 3 guys Ayton needs to defend to keep his Value. Giannis, Embid, Jokic. Biz and Javale will look great against most teams. But I still think they’ll look like chumps against those 3. Ayton, had very good results against Jokic. And was ok against Giannis.

pickle

Post by pickle »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:32 am
Good team win with everyone contributing. This looked like Book's night to be off/flat, as he was 5-23 and didn't look like he had his legs - might've been the effects of the road trip and carrying the scoring load the past few games. Still, he's a threat whenever he touches the ball and his defense held up so he was still impactful.
I feel like that first shot of the game really threw him off. It was a mid-air adjustment that he totally ad-libbed that went in and at the time when he missed several more I felt like he was remembering that shot too much with every subsequent attempt.

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

He lost his mojo for a game. He’ll get it back.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:56 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:50 am
It happens. If I'm being honest it only makes me want to go the Utah game on Monday to see him play against Donovan Mitchell.
Mitchell is out for Monday’s game.
Do it!..anyway.
"Be Legendary."