Suns-Mavs Round 2 News Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Sunsfan4life

Re: Suns-Mavs Round 2 News Thread

Post by Sunsfan4life »

iLLmatic wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 7:08 am
Superbone wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 11:11 pm
Book can’t let Doncic win in Phoenix. He just can’t. Either can Ayton for that matter.
You know he's going to come out amped.
Hopefully not to amped...We can do without a key piece in foul trouble for once

If it's a close game in the 4th advantage Mavs.

You know thats what Kidds preaching...stay within 5 or 6 in the last 5 mins....
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Sunsfan4life wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 8:42 am
iLLmatic wrote:
Superbone wrote:
Book can’t let Doncic win in Phoenix. He just can’t. Either can Ayton for that matter.

Scott Foster.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Anyone think that if Ayton under performs here that he signs for less than the max?

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Sunsfan4life wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 8:42 am
iLLmatic wrote:
Superbone wrote:

You’re kidding with this right? This is the best clutch team in the league. And it’s not even close.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I know what I’d do if we lose, but I’ll wait to see if we actually lose before sharing my plan

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 9:54 am
I know what I’d do if we lose, but I’ll wait to see if we actually lose before sharing my plan
Hopefully we'll never hear what you have to say about that.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 11:09 am
Split T wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 9:54 am
Hopefully we'll never hear what you have to say about that.
I hope so too haha

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Guys can we clamp down on the reckless optimism a little? I just don't want to get our hopes up too sky-high here...

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 12:20 pm
Guys can we clamp down on the reckless optimism a little? I just don't want to get our hopes up too sky-high here...
Book is gonna cook on the next game. Monty has to keep him and CP3 from getting walled off by two wings during a defensive switch.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Think we need to save CP3 as much as possible…stop switching him onto Luka. I’d also have Crowder bring the ball up if they are going to press full court. If CP3 isn’t hurt, he’s being worn out.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 1:41 pm
Think we need to save CP3 as much as possible…stop switching him onto Luka. I’d also have Crowder bring the ball up if they are going to press full court. If CP3 isn’t hurt, he’s being worn out.
Totally agree with all of that. One question. How do we prevent their switching him onto Luka? Whoever is closest switches places with him as soon as the screen is set if the defender can't get over it? So some scrambling required? Or does the defender go under the screen? Do you have any video examples of strategies?
"Be Legendary."

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Superbone wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 1:30 pm
Yeah I guess we'll see. I'm not feeling to hopeful based on the 3 games they lost in this series. Paul looks old and tired and Booker hasn't had a breakout game this series yet.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 2:53 pm
Split T wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 1:41 pm
Totally agree with all of that. One question. How do we prevent their switching him onto Luka? Whoever is closest switches places with him as soon as the screen is set if the defender can't get over it? So some scrambling required? Or does the defender go under the screen? Do you have any video examples of strategies?
I think any screen 2-4 you just switch…so Book, Cam, Crowder, Mikal, Craig….any of those guys defending the screener should just switch. Maybe even Shamet. I’m fine with Ayton/Biyombo switching too, but staying in a drop has worked ok there too and can hopefully keep Mikal on Luka.

I’d blitz Luka if CP3’s man sets the screen. He’s usually on Bullock…so force Luka to give up the ball(most likely to Bullock) we’d have to do some scrambling, but we’d force guys like Bullock and Finney-Smith to make plays and I don’t think they will. It’s honestly similar to what Dallas has done to us. We’ll get turnovers. They might get a few more open looks, but I’ll take my chances with Bullock trying to beat us.

Also if Bullock tries to guard Booker, just spread it out and let Booker take him 1on1…I don’t think he can stay in front and Mavs have no rim protection.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Sunsfan4life wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 8:40 am
Theres a very good chance this is the last run for the current core. Like others have said if the suns lose tomorrow or in the WCF You'll likely see a major piece change. Also, It's apparent CP3 is on the downside of his career and teams like the Grizz and Mavs will only get better with their young pieces. If the suns remain status quo they'll be passed up and you'll prob be looking at a team that is battling for the 4/5 seed next yr.

So this is it...defining game and possibly a defining 2 weeks for this crew...Will it be similar to what happened in 95? The suns have to seize this opportunity. I don't think you'll see many people picking them to beat the warriors so if they win tomorrow, in a game where 100% of the pressure is on them, you may see a team playing more freely in the next round.

Tomorrow is it for this group IMO...Booker's window is still wide open, but much like the 2007 Suns and 95 Suns, I think you'll see a big move going into next year that will see our team look drastically different if this doesn't wound up in a finals appearance. In a lot of ways 7 seconds or less died in 2007 (yes we had that great season in 2010 but that was lightning in a bottle) thanks to David Stern and a corner Bruce Bowen 3 and The KJ/Barkley era Suns died in 95 thanks to Mario Ellie...will be RIP the Chris Paul era after tomorrow?

Seize the moment Book....
I was thinking about all of this Friday night and came here to post basically the same thing (except I would say Chuck killed the Barkley era all by himself).

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 3:43 pm
Sunsfan4life wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 8:40 am
Theres a very good chance this is the last run for the current core. Like others have said if the suns lose tomorrow or in the WCF You'll likely see a major piece change. Also, It's apparent CP3 is on the downside of his career and teams like the Grizz and Mavs will only get better with their young pieces. If the suns remain status quo they'll be passed up and you'll prob be looking at a team that is battling for the 4/5 seed next yr.

So this is it...defining game and possibly a defining 2 weeks for this crew...Will it be similar to what happened in 95? The suns have to seize this opportunity. I don't think you'll see many people picking them to beat the warriors so if they win tomorrow, in a game where 100% of the pressure is on them, you may see a team playing more freely in the next round.

Tomorrow is it for this group IMO...Booker's window is still wide open, but much like the 2007 Suns and 95 Suns, I think you'll see a big move going into next year that will see our team look drastically different if this doesn't wound up in a finals appearance. In a lot of ways 7 seconds or less died in 2007 (yes we had that great season in 2010 but that was lightning in a bottle) thanks to David Stern and a corner Bruce Bowen 3 and The KJ/Barkley era Suns died in 95 thanks to Mario Ellie...will be RIP the Chris Paul era after tomorrow?

Seize the moment Book....
I was thinking about all of this Friday night and came here to post basically the same thing (except I would say Chuck killed the Barkley era all by himself).
Chuck only became unhappy here because Colangelo traded Majerle after the 1995 playoff debacle. If you mean that Chuck was largely responsible for the 1995 playoff debacle, then I would agree.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.