Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Post by ShelC »

Thread for general offseason news around the league.

bajanguy008

Re: Around the League News - 2022 Offseason Edition

Post by bajanguy008 »

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 5:28 am
Thanks for posting that one, forgot to throw it on there. Good to see CamJ get votes, good enough for 3rd. He might have snuck up to 2 if not for the injury. Hadn't realized KLove had a solid year off the bench.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

LMAO @ Montrezl Harrell getting a 2nd-place vote.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

A look back at :07 Seconds or Less, a wonderful walk through the '05-06 Suns season:

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 7:28 am
LMAO @ Montrezl Harrell getting a 2nd-place vote.
This is an example of what I was talking about last month. Voters who do dumb shit like that should lose their privileges'.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

7SOL was a great read, YSMF!
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

They're going to see if they can find his spine while they're in there.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

I don’t know who that other guy is JJ is talking to, but every clip I’ve seen of him he’s got absolute garbage takes

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Chris "Mad Dog" Russo was a huge sports radio personality for like 25 years in NYC on the Mike and the Mad Dog Show with Mike Francesa. They split up, Russo went to SiriusXM for a few years. Surprised he's been on ESPN lately.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I really hate that kind of rhetoric. We've seen it in many forms whether it was the NBA dress code, NFL players kneeling during the anthem, or now NIL in college football. It has some really ugly undertones and it seems that most of the people on the angry side all look the same.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 5:40 pm
I really hate that kind of rhetoric. We've seen it in many forms whether it was the NBA dress code, NFL players kneeling during the anthem, or now NIL in college football. It has some really ugly undertones and it seems that most of the people on the angry side all look the same.
I have a problem with how Draymond acted after his ejection. Respect the game and get off the court. He chose to dance around and make a mockery of the situation. Patrick Beverly did the same thing when he undercut Chris Paul in the playoffs last year. Did you have a problem with that?

I usually like JJ’s takes, but I think he is wrong here. He says he doesn’t care about the older generation of fans, the fans that have supported their teams for decades. That’s a problem.

And you say the people that are angry about what happened all look the same. According to JJ they all have gray hair. Is that what you meant too? I think Bobster, Superbone, Lazarus Long, me and many more of us have a problem with that.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

SunsRIt wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 6:56 pm
I have a problem with how Draymond acted after his ejection. Respect the game and get off the court. He chose to dance around and make a mockery of the situation. Patrick Beverly did the same thing when he undercut Chris Paul in the playoffs last year. Did you have a problem with that?
Draymond running around like a buffoon was just dumb, but that's not "disrespecting the game" to me. Undercutting guys, knocking them out of the air, or cheating in general is where I draw the respect line. The highest level of the game has a fair serving of the dark arts of embellishing contact or baiting the officials. That's more gamesmanship than cheating, but the line can get blurry.
SunsRIt wrote:
I usually like JJ’s takes, but I think he is wrong here. He says he doesn’t care about the older generation of fans, the fans that have supported their teams for decades. That’s a problem.

And you say the people that are angry about what happened all look the same. According to JJ they all have gray hair. Is that what you meant too? I think Bobster, Superbone, Lazarus Long, me and many more of us have a problem with that.
I simply don't appreciate the aversion to change. Culture changes, society changes, the game changes. So the general kind of "get off my lawn, back in my day" attitude is obnoxious to me. I think that's what JJ was saying. He appreciates the older fans life long enthusiasm for the game, but some of them need to accept that all of this stuff is constantly evolving. If they don't like what it's become then don't watch, and if they don't watch then no one wants to hear about why it was "better" in the past because the past isn't returning.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I can appreciate this convo

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

SunsRIt wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

This is going to make me sound like a bitter old man, but I think the respect for the game gave way to the constant need for attention that a lot of people have nowadays. You see it on social media with all the attempts to grab your "15 minutes of fame" and stretch it out as long as possible.

There has to be a middle ground between Bob Gibson or Don Drysdale knocking down a batter who gets a good swing on him and players celebrating routine plays like they just went out and cured cancer.

Respect the game and your opponents, life isn't all about you even if people are willing to pay you an ungodly amount of money because you're good at throwing a ball through a metal ring.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Indy

Post by Indy »

The Bobster wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 7:17 am
SunsRIt wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

This is going to make me sound like a bitter old man, but I think the respect for the game gave way to the constant need for attention that a lot of people have nowadays. You see it on social media with all the attempts to grab your "15 minutes of fame" and stretch it out as long as possible.

There has to be a middle ground between Bob Gibson or Don Drysdale knocking down a batter who gets a good swing on him and players celebrating routine plays like they just went out and cured cancer.

Respect the game and your opponents, life isn't all about you even if people are willing to pay you an ungodly amount of money because you're good at throwing a ball through a metal ring.
It is just a game. Would you say "respect the game" if you were talking about marbles or Uno? And one way these guys make their money is how they play to the crowd. They are not just athletes. That isn't very lucrative. They are entertainers. They should entertain.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Indy wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 7:33 am
The Bobster wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 7:17 am
SunsRIt wrote:
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

It is just a game. Would you say "respect the game" if you were talking about marbles or Uno? And one way these guys make their money is how they play to the crowd. They are not just athletes. That isn't very lucrative. They are entertainers. They should entertain.
Yeah, I think "Respect the Game" applies to all kinds of competition and includes having some respect for your competition. Some of us aren't here to see someone shimmy after a basket or beat on his chest after getting a hit, or signal "first down" when your team's down by three touchdowns in the 4th quarter.

Like I said, I'm an old fart.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Gonna leave this here because it's mainly Rookie to Rockets years but yea....
Baller