Deandre Ayton's future with the Suns?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

What do you think Deandre Ayton's immediate future is with the Suns?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:47 am

Suns keep him for the duration of the 2022-2023 season
31%
He's on the roster to start the season but is traded mid-season
8%
Suns trade him before the season starts
62%

Total votes: 26

JeremyG

Re: Deandre Ayton's future with the Suns?

Post by JeremyG »

"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:02 am
Maybe we don’t want to take any salary back, just picks to send to Brooklyn so waiting for Indy to have the space.

We can make it work salary wise without Ayton, but we’d need to include at least 3 players. 4 if Mikal isn’t one of them.
Then it’s just another money-saving move by Sarver. It means you have to give up more players for KD and you have no players back from Indiana. In other words, it makes you worse than if you took back salary but saves Sarver money.

So I guess that means you’re probably right. :lol:

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Gambo already making the excuse that the Suns “can’t afford” both DA and KD. Of course, that excuse makes no sense, all you have to do is give the Nets the exact amount of salary that KD is making, and your luxury taxes go up by zero.

carey

Post by carey »

Who exactly does Jones want playing C if they don't want Turner? They aren't actually going to roll out with Landale and Bizzy?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Remember those quotes from NBA insiders about how the Suns think CP3 can turn Biyombo into just as good of a player as Ayton? :lol: Yeah that may be what they're doing...

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:37 am
Split T wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:02 am
Maybe we don’t want to take any salary back, just picks to send to Brooklyn so waiting for Indy to have the space.

We can make it work salary wise without Ayton, but we’d need to include at least 3 players. 4 if Mikal isn’t one of them.
Then it’s just another money-saving move by Sarver. It means you have to give up more players for KD and you have no players back from Indiana. In other words, it makes you worse than if you took back salary but saves Sarver money.

So I guess that means you’re probably right. :lol:
Terrible if so

Wormwood

Post by Wormwood »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:40 am
Suns can always match the Ayton contract, and trade him next summer. Easy to forget that the Suns have like $38M coming off the books next year, plus they can trade Ayton at $30M for multiple warm bodies to fill holes.

Indy

Post by Indy »

Indy

Post by Indy »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:44 am
Gambo already making the excuse that the Suns “can’t afford” both DA and KD. Of course, that excuse makes no sense, all you have to do is give the Nets the exact amount of salary that KD is making, and your luxury taxes go up by zero.
We don't have enough to match KD's full value of 44.12M without giving up 5 of our top 8 players in minutes (that you obviously have to replace at some cost). And then you add another +20M for Ayton's on top of what he made this year. I don't see how you offset 64M even with the contracts we currently have.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I feel like there's some kind of misconception that letting Ayton leave is somehow part of us getting KD. But it sounds like it is completely unrelated. To me this smells like another penny-pinching Bobby Saver move. Trade Ayton for bantha fodder and a pick, then try to get KD with ... what? Mikal and Cam and a million picks? And basically we'll have no starting center because we were too cheap to keep the one we had?

I really do not want to show up for training camp with a team of CP3 + Book + KD + 12 minimum-contract scrubs, with a decade's worth of picks forfeited to get there. But that's what I am expecting at this point.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

This!

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Indy wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:09 am
JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:44 am
We don't have enough to match KD's full value of 44.12M without giving up 5 of our top 8 players in minutes (that you obviously have to replace at some cost). And then you add another +20M for Ayton's on top of what he made this year. I don't see how you offset 64M even with the contracts we currently have.
Not true. You can trade Bridges, Saric, Shamet, and Payne. That’s $44.84M. Bridges is upgraded to KD, Saric played zero minutes, and Payne/Shamet can be replaced by min. contracts.

We’re talking about whether your luxury taxes are higher if you get KD and match DA than if you just matched DA without KD being an option. The KD salary is just a smokescreen/excuse. It doesn’t have to increase your luxury taxes by much or at all. Throw in Craig and your tax bill goes DOWN by getting KD and adding min. contracts.

Paul/Booker/Durant/Crowder/Ayton with Johnson, Biyombo and others off the bench and you save more money than if you didn’t trade for KD. So the KD trade cannot be an excuse for not matching Ayton.
Last edited by JeremyG on Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:12 am
I feel like there's some kind of misconception that letting Ayton leave is somehow part of us getting KD. But it sounds like it is completely unrelated. To me this smells like another penny-pinching Bobby Saver move. Trade Ayton for bantha fodder and a pick, then try to get KD with ... what? Mikal and Cam and a million picks? And basically we'll have no starting center because we were too cheap to keep the one we had?

I really do not want to show up for training camp with a team of CP3 + Book + KD + 12 minimum-contract scrubs, with a decade's worth of picks forfeited to get there. But that's what I am expecting at this point.
The Dbacks mortgaged their future to win a World Series. They've been below average ever since. 20 years of average baseball.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

DBacks ineptitude is owed to bad management and shortsighted ownership of Ken Kendrick.
Trade Goldschmidt (who continues at an All-Star level) but then acquire Bumgarner, whose best years were behind him ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:12 am

Exactly. See my post above to Indy. The KD trade cannot be used as an excuse for not keeping DA in any way, shape, or form!!! (And you can count on me to make sure everyone remembers that. :P)

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

You can also trade Crowder, Shamet, Dario, Payne and Craig for KD and that would work salary wise too. Would Nets take that? Probably not but when KD is forcing his way here, a bunch of expiring contracts and picks ain’t honestly the worst lol I would think they at least put cam over Craig tho.

Indy

Post by Indy »

What I am saying is that replacing KD's salary is not the difference. It is giving Ayton a +20M raise. Raising our salary by +20M even if we replace everyone else in our top 8 with minimum salary g-leaguers or old vets looking to ring chase, means we are significantly over the tax. So that ~30M for Ayton now costs 45-50M. Why in the world would you pay that much for your 4th best player?

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Draft compensation. Suns need a pick to use or replace in the KD trade. Here’s hoping this happens…

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:20 am
FWIW, I will also be very disappointed if all we get for Ayton is Myles Turner and maybe a draft pick.
That is because you're in denial about Ayton's value. ;)

The BYC restrictions play a factor, but ultimately, Ayton isn't coveted around the league.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.