Monty Williams

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Monty Williams will...

Poll ended at Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:38 pm

No longer be the Suns' head coach by training camp 2023
10%
No longer be the Suns' head coach by training camp 2024
5%
Still be the Suns' head coach for training camp 2024
85%

Total votes: 20

JeremyG

Monty Williams

Post by JeremyG »

Since Monty seems to be a controversial topic, I am curious to see everyone's predictions.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Re: Monty Williams

Post by Superbone »

Maybe for you. He's not perfect but he's also not a big issue or controversial.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I think it has very little to do with Williams and much more about Jones. I don't see Jones firing Monty before 2024 training camp, but I expect a new owner to bring in his/her own GM, who will bring in his/her own coach.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

It’s really not controversial. Im pretty sure it’s you and then everybody else. Lol.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Indy wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:49 pm
I think it has very little to do with Williams and much more about Jones. I don't see Jones firing Monty before 2024 training camp, but I expect a new owner to bring in his/her own GM, who will bring in his/her own coach.
This is where I'm at as well. If we get an owner who is an actual NBA fan and see how this team has stagnated under JJ I fully expect him/her to bring in someone new.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Indy

Post by Indy »

I will be shocked if any new owner doesn't bring in a new GM before Jones' contract is up.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I’d kind of expect the new owner to Keep JJ around for 2023-24, unless this next season is rough. 2024 would be free game, but I still don’t expect Monty to be fired.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I guess it wouldnt surprise me if a new owner wanted to bring in their own gm and coach but I fully expect James Jones and Monty to be retained with the new ownership and have their full support. There’s rightful criticism of James Jones but theres no denying how successful he’s been so far, him and Monty are easily a top 5 GM/Head coach combo right now. Feels very much like “don’t fix what’s not broken” and I hope the new ownership sees it as that as well but…you never know I guess.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I chose the first option, but if not, then 2024 is almost certain, since CP3 will almost definitely be gone by then if not next summer, and a new owner will be a year into owning the team.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

specialsauce wrote:
It’s really not controversial. Im pretty sure it’s you and then everybody else. Lol.
It's only a matter of time before everybody else joins me.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I have issues with Monty, but they don't have anything to do with his handling of personalities or Ayton's role in the offense.

I'm with Wally. I think the new owner keeps them on. My hope is that he forces some resources on JJ around building up a talent pipeline (like scouts and a G-league team). JJ's philosophies around that are not sustainable in a salary cap environment and I feel like without some guidance there we're doomed for some malaise years after CP falls off.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:39 pm
I chose the first option, but if not, then 2024 is almost certain, since CP3 will almost definitely be gone by then if not next summer, and a new owner will be a year into owning the team.
Not every new owner gets rid of the coach…I’m not sure why you feel so confident a coach who has been pretty universally praised is on his way out. They’d have to fire him as well as his contract runs through that time.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Indy wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:53 pm
I will be shocked if any new owner doesn't bring in a new GM before Jones' contract is up.
The fear that is quietly in the back of my mind about any mew owner. The domino’s will fall and we’ll be tanking for several years after our guys ask for trades.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:41 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Because that's the life cycle of a coaching job, not because you are currently on the right.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:48 pm
I have issues with Monty, but they don't have anything to do with his handling of personalities or Ayton's role in the offense.

I'm with Wally. I think the new owner keeps them on. My hope is that he forces some resources on JJ around building up a talent pipeline (like scouts and a G-league team). JJ's philosophies around that are not sustainable in a salary cap environment and I feel like without some guidance there we're doomed for some malaise years after CP falls off.
OTOH, Jones seems like a smart guy and maybe he'll learn from his mistakes. Or like you said, the new owners might lay down some guidelines on how they want to proceed. Or maybe Sarver has been holding Jones back. Hard to gauge.
"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:13 pm
Shabazz wrote:

OTOH, Jones seems like a smart guy and maybe he'll learn from his mistakes. Or like you said, the new owners might lay down some guidelines on how they want to proceed. Or maybe Sarver has been holding Jones back. Hard to gauge.
Agreed. But to INF's point, we have been giving out money. Then you see us sell the G-league team and wonder did Sarver do that because he is trying to save money, or because Jones didn't want to use it?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

I definitely think Sarver has been holding Jones back when it comes to players who are already in the NBA. But the scouting part of it has a lot to do with Jones' philosophy, I believe. And, as others have said, that seems a bit troubling for the future.

Interesting how this thread has turned into a good discussion on Jones.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Aztec Sunsfan wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:13 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:41 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Because that's the life cycle of a coaching job, not because you are currently on the right.
Not always. Some coaches get to retire after decades on the job, like Pop will likely be doing soon.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:36 pm
Superbone wrote:
Shabazz wrote:

I definitely think Sarver has been holding Jones back when it comes to players who are already in the NBA. But the scouting part of it has a lot to do with Jones' philosophy, I believe. And, as others have said, that seems a bit troubling for the future.

Interesting how this thread has turned into a good discussion on Jones.
:D I'm glad some good came out of it.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:57 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:39 pm
Not every new owner gets rid of the coach…I’m not sure why you feel so confident a coach who has been pretty universally praised is on his way out. They’d have to fire him as well as his contract runs through that time.
I believe he is very close to losing his players. And if CP3 is gone, that could seal his firing.