Suns News: Week 2 (10/24-10/30)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Suns News: Week 2 (10/24-10/30)

Post by Split T »

virtual9mm wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:11 am
Starting to look like CamJ + Crowder + Saric + picks for KD, let's see.
Would need more contracts, Shamet and then Craig probably too, haven’t done the math through. This would be the dream though. KD just replacing CamJ in the lineup…The bench would get real rough though. We’d need to go get like Melo.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Split T wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:20 am
virtual9mm wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:11 am
Starting to look like CamJ + Crowder + Saric + picks for KD, let's see.
Would need more contracts, Shamet and then Craig probably too, haven’t done the math through. This would be the dream though. KD just replacing CamJ in the lineup…The bench would get real rough though. We’d need to go get like Melo.
Yup, something along these lines. Crowder, Shamet, Dario, and Cam gets you pretty close, you can throw in the likes of Okagie to get even closer.

Although I'm starting to warm up to Shamet a little bit -- but he and Damion Lee are sort of substitutes.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I don’t see any possibility where the Nets trade us KD without one of Ayton or Mikal plus Cam. Pretending that we could get it done with just CamJ + contracts and picks is just straight up 2K bs Trade Override shit. I gotta better chance with Anya Taylor-Joy.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Wally_West wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:48 am
I don’t see any possibility where the Nets trade us KD without one of Ayton or Mikal plus Cam. Pretending that we could get it done with just CamJ + contracts and picks is just straight up 2K bs Trade Override shit. I gotta better chance with Anya Taylor-Joy.
In which case, no thank you.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Split T wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:18 am
I don’t know if I ever said one way or the other on moving Ayton, Mikal, CamJ, and 4 1sts…That would have been a hard pill to swallow and I think I would’ve needed assurances that free agents were coming or we were adding guys like Claxton/Mills to the trade.

Now I wouldn’t do that. I would hesitate to include Bridges at all and wouldn’t do both Bridges and Ayton. I think the most I’d do is Ayton/CamJ and picks
My preference would absolutely be trade Ayton but I just think there’s too many it’s obstacles on that front right now. The nets didn’t want Ayton then, not sure why they would want him now. Plus not sure why Ayton would okay the trade, leaving the top western conference team to go a dysfunctional dumpster fire in Brooklyn just to be the main guy seems not worth it at all, plus he might get up in his feelings for us even asking if he’s okay being traded.
If KD really is a possibility at the deadline, you’d probably have to package Mikal and Cam +picks, which id absolutely do but it would just suck losing Mikal.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

We don't know that Brooklyn didn't / doesn't want Ayton. It was harder to trade him this offseason due to the S&T / BYC stuff. After January or whenever he becomes tradeable, it's a lot easier to include him in a KD deal. And Ayton, another good player like CamJ, and some picks, is actually a pretty good haul for KD IMO.

Indy

Post by Indy »

The reports were clear they were not interested in centering a trade for KD on Ayton.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Ayton can also veto any trade. While Id love to trade him for KD, I’m not really sure why Ayton would say yes to go to that dumpster fire. I just think Ayton trades are pretty unrealistic right now.

carey

Post by carey »

You’re only thinking basketball wise. Brooklyn > Phoenix for most non basketball things. If they clean house and bring in a new coach things could turn around quickly. Their owner seems to be good as far as spending goes.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Carno

Post by Carno »

Indy wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:14 pm
The reports were clear they were not interested in centering a trade for KD on Ayton.
The reports were clear that they didn't want Ayton, but we don't know why. Some reports suggested that it was because an Ayton sign and trade would hard cap the Nets. We don't know if it was this (and BYC rules) that prevented a deal, or if they simply don't value him as a player (or both). We just don't know. The possibility exists that they would take Ayton if the cap rules aren't as much of a hindrance.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Carno said what I was trying to articulate, but better. We don't really know the details of why the deal didn't work out with BKN this summer. Another major confounding variable was that Brooklyn still hoped that they could reconcile with KD and keep their contending team together, which seems less likely as the season goes on. The rumor over the offseason was that the Nets wanted Mikal, CamJ, and every pick from now till 2077, and that the Suns balked at such a high price. Who knows what other teams' offers were, or what exactly the Nets will want for their team as the season goes on? Right now they're seeing how painful it can be when you have no size and no defense. Maybe a few months of that would make them want a promising young big like Ayton.

I do think we'll have to wait a while while the current Ime Udoka saga unfolds. They're going to give it one more try with a new coach to see if that can fix their team this season. It probably won't, and then maybe we can explore trades with them. But that'll align pretty well with our timeline in terms of waiting for Ayton to be tradeable.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:30 am
Carno said what I was trying to articulate, but better. We don't really know the details of why the deal didn't work out with BKN this summer. Another major confounding variable was that Brooklyn still hoped that they could reconcile with KD and keep their contending team together, which seems less likely as the season goes on. The rumor over the offseason was that the Nets wanted Mikal, CamJ, and every pick from now till 2077, and that the Suns balked at such a high price. Who knows what other teams' offers were, or what exactly the Nets will want for their team as the season goes on? Right now they're seeing how painful it can be when you have no size and no defense. Maybe a few months of that would make them want a promising young big like Ayton.

I do think we'll have to wait a while while the current Ime Udoka saga unfolds. They're going to give it one more try with a new coach to see if that can fix their team this season. It probably won't, and then maybe we can explore trades with them. But that'll align pretty well with our timeline in terms of waiting for Ayton to be tradeable.
I still don't understand why people are still trying to trade Ayton. Even if you get KD, you're going to need a big that's playable in the playoffs. There's precious few around -- and the Suns have one of the hardest ones to game plan around. Indeed, if you have a KD-Ayton combo, you're not going to have the same glaring hole at PF if Ayton's dragged out to the perimeter.

pickle

Post by pickle »

If we are talking hypothetical scenarios, how many picks plus Crowder and saric would everyone be willing to add to get Markannen? Markannen + Vanderbilt?

Split T

Post by Split T »

pickle wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:54 am
If we are talking hypothetical scenarios, how many picks plus Crowder and saric would everyone be willing to add to get Markannen? Markannen + Vanderbilt?
Hmm, I’d move 2 1sts for Markkanen and Vanderbilt

Split T

Post by Split T »

For the record, I don’t think there’s any chance Utah moves Markkanen for draft picks. They don’t need more picks and I think they are super high on him.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:18 am
I don’t know if I ever said one way or the other on moving Ayton, Mikal, CamJ, and 4 1sts…That would have been a hard pill to swallow and I think I would’ve needed assurances that free agents were coming or we were adding guys like Claxton/Mills to the trade.

Now I wouldn’t do that. I would hesitate to include Bridges at all and wouldn’t do both Bridges and Ayton. I think the most I’d do is Ayton/CamJ and picks
Even if Ayton were to ok the deal, at the rate things are going the Nets/KD may not want to wait until January 15 to get a trade done.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:27 am
For the record, I don’t think there’s any chance Utah moves Markkanen for draft picks. They don’t need more picks and I think they are super high on him.
He definitely fits the culture there.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Indy

Post by Indy »

virtual9mm wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:05 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:30 am

I still don't understand why people are still trying to trade Ayton. Even if you get KD, you're going to need a big that's playable in the playoffs. There's precious few around -- and the Suns have one of the hardest ones to game plan around. Indeed, if you have a KD-Ayton combo, you're not going to have the same glaring hole at PF if Ayton's dragged out to the perimeter.
You mean like Kevon Looney or 36 year old Al Horford or 34 year old Brook Lopez or present-day Dwight Howard? Those are the guys that started in the finals the last few years at Center.

Split T

Post by Split T »

TOO wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:09 pm
Split T wrote:
He’s also just really good at basketball and playing very well for them.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:23 pm
TOO wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:09 pm
Split T wrote:
He’s also just really good at basketball and playing very well for them.
He's underachieved for years imo, he's been playing very well for them. Pretty much the ideal 4/5 for this team.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.