Around the League: Week 2 (10/24-10/30)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Around the League: Week 2 (10/24-10/30)

Post by INFORMER »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:24 pm
Now that they're winning all their games despite trying to tank, I wonder if the Jazz wish they had held on to Bogdanovic.
pickle wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:02 am
Or maybe this gives them more urgency to hold a fire sale.
Yeah, I think it will be really interesting what happens there. Ainge, of course, is not above tanking, and I think he would move Conley without hesitation as soon as he gets an offer with draft capital and cap relief.

But I don't think he had interest in keeping Bogdanovic. He wasn't going to resign him and isn't heavily invested in the outcome of this season. So it made sense to move him.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Cap wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:25 am
JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:14 am
There may be a bit of fool's gold in our start to the season. The teams we beat have a combined winning percentage of .406 (only the Pelicans have a winning record), and we lost to the 5-1 Blazers.
Nonsense.
Agreed. The Suns are playing at a high level. Period. I think it is legit. The question is whether they can sustain it.

I think other teams will get better as the season goes on. The hope is that the Suns aren't peaking in October.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:35 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:01 am
I think this puts the final nail in the coffin. KD is gone. Kyrie has to be gone. Brooklyn has a very large Jewish community and Brooklyn attendance already sucks.
Tsai should have made a deal while he could have. He’s only lost more leverage.
Kryie is a PR nightmare time bomb. Simmons is a ghost of an NBA star. KD is a hostage on a losing team.
Honestly, I don't think this Kyrie thing will have much of an impact on basketball.
All things add up. They’re acting in any way to keep the wheels on the bus. Nash, fired on the heals of him trying to say they will talk through the antisemitism. Perhaps it’s not the final nail. Udoka will just be another attempt to extend things for the season but I have my doubts. We all know how this ends. I predict 2/3 if not all 3 will be gone within the year. And of course when they blow it up it’ll be about something else.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

From a coaching personality type, Nash and Udoka couldn't be any dissimilar. It'll be interesting to see Udoka's tough guy approach with Simmons and Irving.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:52 pm
I think other teams will get better as the season goes on. The hope is that the Suns aren't peaking in October.
Suns don't really look like they are at their peak to me. Lot of guys can be much better this year as the season goes on. Most prominent example is Cam Johnson, who hasn't been very good as starting PF but will likely be much more comfortable in that role later in the season. I think Ayton always has the potential to improve, too. Chris Paul seems like he isn't 100% in shape yet and could improve from his current mediocre performance as the season goes on. And I could imagine some improvement coming with a future Crowder trade. So I have plenty of reason to think we aren't at our peak. The only guy who really seems at his peak now is Booker, but I am not worried about him.

carey

Post by carey »

As stacked as the Warriors are they are starting the season 3-5. The Heat, darlings of the east, just beat them but are also just 3-5.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Indy

Post by Indy »

INFORMER wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:40 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:24 pm
My favorite part of the clip is when he says, "How is it 'promoting' a video when I link to it on my social media feed?" Uh, that's exactly what it is? You're posting a link to it and recommending that people check it out? That is literally what promotion is?
I've seen/heard that line of reasoning, if you can call it that. People post a link and then say they are just putting it out there to spark debate or generate conversation...blah blah blah.
lol used to happen here ALL THE TIME in the politics folder.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

Indy wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:31 pm
INFORMER wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:40 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:24 pm
My favorite part of the clip is when he says, "How is it 'promoting' a video when I link to it on my social media feed?" Uh, that's exactly what it is? You're posting a link to it and recommending that people check it out? That is literally what promotion is?
I've seen/heard that line of reasoning, if you can call it that. People post a link and then say they are just putting it out there to spark debate or generate conversation...blah blah blah.
lol used to happen here ALL THE TIME in the politics folder.
Just food for thought here, Indy, but do you feel like it's productive to post this here, or honestly at all?

Indy

Post by Indy »

As much as any post in a sports message board, sure. I didn't tag/call out anyone. Just a comment on something that used to happen here a lot.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I thought the same thing Indy said. But that's okay; what happens in Politics, stays in Politics!!

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Cap wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:00 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:44 am
JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:49 am
Split T wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:39 am
It’s 4 likely playoff teams and 1 bad team. Getting particular about record at this point seems silly. It’s a super small sample size and as Cap pointed out, our wins against them make a huge impact.
I would put the chance of all 4 of those teams making the playoffs at about 1%. But even if they eventually turn things around, the fact is that 4 of the 5 teams are struggling right now, and the one good team was missing their 2 best players.
1%? That’s crazy, I’d say more like 40-50%
Seriously. The Pelicans will probably make the playoffs, and the other three are locks (barring a season-ending injury to Luka, or multiple serious injuries to the Warriors or Clippers). I’d happily take that bet at even money, and at +9900 I’d make an enormous bet.
Bumped. :P
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Well done…1% was still too low. 2 made it, 1 was still in the running for the 5 seed the last day of the season and the other quit with 2 games left. A week ago there was still a chance for all 4 to get in.