Game Day: Wolves (4-3) @ Suns (5-1), Tues 11/1/22

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
TOO

Re: Game Day: Wolves (4-3) @ Suns (5-1), Tues 11/1/22

Post by TOO »

You are pissing in the wind.

TOO

Post by TOO »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:00 pm
TOO wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:53 pm
AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:19 pm
The Bobster wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:46 pm
Suns are now 129-40 in their last 169 games.
You'd never guess it from a few folks but it's a tremendous time to be a Suns fan. I've had such pleasure watching this entertaining and highly talented group of unselfish players these last 2+ seasons. Thanks James Jones and Monty Williams!

The dark ages were absolutely brutal.
Imagine getting all in your feelings because people don't agree with your team outlook. There's a whole bunch of you guys genuinely upset because I don't like that Jones hasn't done anything noteworthy in 2 years. Fuckin weirdo.
You ran out of shit sandwich this evening so you decided to eat a shit lolipop? Good to hear from you again. I was worried you might have hurt yourself from the frustrating win last night. I'll get all up in my feelings while being excited about this season.

Also, the above is a joke, right? He's done nothing noteworthy? Don't get me started. Yeah, he's done some dumb shit but nothing noteworthy is a bullshit take. We won 64 games last season. How the hell was he supposed to know we'd implode in the playoffs and start making wholesale changes? He deserves infinite shit for not addressing our PG depth when Payne was horrible. I shit on him last season and postseason for that. But none of us imagined it playing out the way it did. It's so easy to be a hindsight armchair GM.
What has Jones done to improve the team that blew a finals lead? Honestly? He's spent all his time playing musical chairs with back up centers, maxing another C (a position that just doesnt fucking matter), he is still relying on a career journeyman in Cam Payne as the back up PG/only other guy who can get his own shot outside of Booker regularly. Regular season wins just dont matter, they won a whole bunch last year, big deal, they faded at the end of the season and carried that into the playoffs because Jones in his infinite wisdom didnt do anything to balance the roster. So you celebrate your meaningless regular season roses bud, you go ahead and make your weird I'm gonna hurt myself jokes (because ya know you're really clever), whatever helps you get through the day. This team doesn't affect my mental well being like it seems to do to you, its just sports. You don't like my take on things, thats cool, keep your emotions away from me, I dont care about it makes you feel.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I’ve never seen so many miserable people at the start of a 6-1 season. It’s just plain weird.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

pickle

Post by pickle »

Guys, maybe let’s all relax a little bit and not get too emotional… I know this is a little hypocritical for me to say as I also get very upset when the Suns do stupid things, but let’s at least be civil about it and avoid getting personal. Some people tend to see the positive in life and others tend to worry more, but we can all still root for the same team.

Maybe resist the urge to post the same message, positive or negative, more than three times over the span of a week, and let’s all try to enjoy this. It can be done. I’m a worrier by nature but I’m still enjoying the victories by focusing on some of the positives. We still have a solid thing going despite some of the missteps, and the biggest unknown of it all, the ownership situation, can only go in one direction after all.

sunset rubdown

Post by sunset rubdown »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:29 am
I’ve never seen so many miserable people at the start of a 6-1 season. It’s just plain weird.
There is a fair share of gloryhunter fans (reminds me of Laker fans a bit, championship or bust!) over here, I think. They just can`t enjoy their team being good playing wonderful brand of unselfish basketball for some reason.

carey

Post by carey »

Superbone wrote:
That finals collapse followed by last year's game 7 collapse really did a number on the fanbase. I can't blame those that are anxious about this team after that. The McDonough years are still too fresh in my mind for me to get too upset even though I'm in the number of those that think Jones sat on his ass this offseason.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

sunset rubdown wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:20 am
Superbone wrote:
There is a fair share of gloryhunter fans (reminds me of Laker fans a bit, championship or bust!) over here, I think. They just can`t enjoy their team being good playing wonderful brand of unselfish basketball for some reason.
This.

I just enjoy watching good basketball. Sure, I'd love to see them win a title, but that wouldn't mean I would think any less of the 1976, 1979, 1993, 2005 and 2021 teams (among others) that I found so much fun to follow.

You don't have "one winner and 29 losers" every year. There are different measurements for success. Certainly the 2022 playoffs left a bitter taste in all of our mouths last year, but it was a tremendously successful regular season rather than some kind of giant shit sandwich (and we've had plenty of those seasons).
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Carno

Post by Carno »

The Bobster wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:46 pm
Suns are now 129-40 in their last 169 games.
Yes, but what about Game 7 against the Mavs?

/s

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think everyone has their own way that they follow and are fans of the team. The point is we should just let people fan the way they want. Don’t have to agree, I’m certainly not on the championship or bust team, but who am I to tell people they have to be happy with a 2nd round exit.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

I'll lay off the sarcasm. To be fair to TOO and the folks I deem "pessimists", I started it a bit by calling out said pessimism before it occurred. As Indy has said before, we are but a small subset of Suns fans within a massive universe. We've been conversing with each other for years (over a decade for many). We are all free to be fans how we see fit. This group here is small enough and we're all diehard enough that it's not fair to push away anyone because we don't all see eye to eye.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
I think after 55 years of not winning a championship, it's understandable. We don't want to get our hopes up again, so a 6-1 start tempting us to think we have a legit shot but that ends in falling short again is worse in some ways than knowing from the start of the season that we don't have a real chance. Especially when we know that we still have the same flaws that resulted in falling short in the past. If some of those flaws can be addressed, then I will enjoy the feeling of having a chance at winning it all again.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Just for the record, I'm not miserable lol. My life is great (aside from having currently having covid again) it's just I want the team I root for to do more than tiny marginal upgrades to win and for the GM to held accountable when he just sits on his hands. I like the wins just as much as anyone else, they just don't excite me because they are mostly meaningless. To keep getting called angry or miserable or whatever is silly.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TOO wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:32 pm
Just for the record, I'm not miserable lol. My life is great (aside from having currently having covid again) it's just I want the team I root for to do more than tiny marginal upgrades to win and for the GM to held accountable when he just sits on his hands. I like the wins just as much as anyone else, they just don't excite me because they are mostly meaningless. To keep getting called angry or miserable or whatever is silly.
Cool.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:57 pm
TOO wrote:
Cool.
Very.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TOO wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:17 pm
Superbone wrote:
TOO wrote:
Cool.
Very.
Sorry about the repeated Covid. I hope you recover quickly.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:32 pm
TOO wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:17 pm
Superbone wrote:
TOO wrote:
Cool.
Very.
Sorry about the repeated Covid. I hope you recover quickly.
Cheers.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

TOO wrote:
I would accuse a particular person if being miserable, but the tone here includes a lot of voices who are dissatisfied with the lack of championship success and judges the team by that.

Which is fine of course, people can have whatever opinion they want to have, we just need to know when to stop beating everybody else over the head with our opinion (whether it's our love of a certain player, our hate of one, or our negative or view through rose-colored glasses. And people have to keep in mind that it works both ways. As they say "don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining". If the team has a massive failure like last year's playoffs, we have to call it that.

But for anyone who feels 2021 was a failure because they reached the finals and failed to win a championship - maybe they need to reassess what they watch sports for.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695