Around the League: Week 6 (11/21 - 11/27)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Shabazz

Re: Around the League: Week 3 (10/31-11/6)

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:08 am
TOO wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:54 am
If people didn't complain about the Suns what would you guys talk about? We know they aren't winning the title, Jones hasn't drafted well and doesn't seem to care about it, would you just talk about what happens in the regular season from game to game when at the end of the season it doesn't even matter? No title, no draft, just treading water year to year, good luck with that gentlemen.
I like to talk about the growth and development of players. It’s not just did they win the title or not for me. I also enjoy the nba as a whole and find this current suns team much better to watch than those years of atrocity in the 2010’s.

That being said, of course I want to win the title and I don’t think this team has a realistic shot. We need to make a move and I think we need to make a big one. Eric Gordon won’t do it. So I’ll let my frustrations be known in that department and don’t blame anyone for being down on this team and their chances without making moves.
On some level, I wouldn't have minded if we had struggled a little initially. I'm worried that the powers that be learn the wrong lessons from this continued regular season success ("Aaron Holiday should do the trick!") when recent playoff history should be our guiding light.

djy2j

Post by djy2j »

The Bobster wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:37 am
carey wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:05 am
Maybe he was unqualified. Maybe years of playing PG at an elite level more than qualified him. Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle. Whatever it is I don't blame Nash for the Nets issues one bit.
He was handed a difficult situation, made even more difficult when they traded for Simmons.
Happy for Nash that he's out of that toxic environment. I'm sure he is too. That was a losing situation for sure once they added Simmons. Kyrie and Simmons have more important concerns that aren't basketball. That team will be blown up at the deadline as I predicted. I wish Kyrie and Simmons nothing but the worst.
The artist formerly known as Y2JJEDIPIMP on .net

"Just like Neal Armstrong I went to space and now I'm back..."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

TOO wrote:
If people didn't complain about the Suns what would you guys talk about? We know they aren't winning the title, Jones hasn't drafted well and doesn't seem to care about it, would you just talk about what happens in the regular season from game to game when at the end of the season it doesn't even matter? No title, no draft, just treading water year to year, good luck with that gentlemen.
It's all part of the yin and yang. No complaints here. Complaining about complaining is just as valid. :)
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

TOO wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:04 am
ShelC wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:58 am
Wowza. It was only a matter of time I guess. I don't know who can coach that team at this point.
Ime Udoka.
I am the new Flex.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

wpmiller42 wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:00 am
Split T wrote:

I guess Brooklyn gonna keep trying to make it work
How dumb do you have to be as an organization to try and fix this with someone who has already violated 1 team's (sensible) workplace policies?
New executive wives to explore. Win/win.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

djy2j wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:09 am
ShelC wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:53 am
Do we have to harp on it in every thread tho? It's not about sunshine pumpers...we know we missed out on Hali, Bane, Stewart and others and mismanaged the Stix situation. It just gets annoying reading about it everyday.
For me I'd have to know the truth on whether Haliburton's agent told PHX not to draft him. If true sure Jones could have drafted him anyway and rolled the dice on whether he'd be a chemistry problem or not. But without knowing for sure what was going on behind the scenes, it's not a move/lack of one, that I lose too much sleep over. I'm more disgusted with them drafting Stix rather than NOT drafting Haliburton if that makes sense.
Haliburton is 22/9/5 on 49/45/95 shooting this year
Vassell is 20/5/5 on 41/39/75 shooting
Bey is 15/5/2 on 45/33/88 shooting
Maxey is 23/4/3 on 51/45/77 shooting
Bane is 24/5/5 on 44/45/85 shooting

Even if Hali wasn't an option, we majorly messed up that pick. All these guys were available and talked about as potential picks for us. They were guys we looked at and had brought in to see. I would have happily picked any of them over Smith at the time as well.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:17 am
djy2j wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:09 am
ShelC wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:53 am
Do we have to harp on it in every thread tho? It's not about sunshine pumpers...we know we missed out on Hali, Bane, Stewart and others and mismanaged the Stix situation. It just gets annoying reading about it everyday.
For me I'd have to know the truth on whether Haliburton's agent told PHX not to draft him. If true sure Jones could have drafted him anyway and rolled the dice on whether he'd be a chemistry problem or not. But without knowing for sure what was going on behind the scenes, it's not a move/lack of one, that I lose too much sleep over. I'm more disgusted with them drafting Stix rather than NOT drafting Haliburton if that makes sense.
Haliburton is 22/9/5 on 49/45/95 shooting this year
Vassell is 20/5/5 on 41/39/75 shooting
Bey is 15/5/2 on 45/33/88 shooting
Maxey is 23/4/3 on 51/45/77 shooting
Bane is 24/5/5 on 44/45/85 shooting

Even if Hali wasn't an option, we majorly messed up that pick. All these guys were available and talked about as potential picks for us. They were guys we looked at and had brought in to see. I would have happily picked any of them over Smith at the time as well.
No disagreements here. I think we all agree Jones blew that draft AND the handling of Stix.

"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I think the hiring of Udoka makes it more likely that Durant stays the season with the Nets. They're going to give this arrangement time.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:24 am
I think the hiring of Udoka makes it more likely that Durant stays the season with the Nets. They're going to give this arrangement time.
Unless he tries to bone him.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Shabazz wrote:
I don't think Don Nelson, assisted by Red Auerbach, Phil Jackson, and Cotton Fitzsimmons would be able to fix that mess. They need to trade anyone and everyone that gets them unprotected 1sts in the upcoming draft.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I thought KD was close with Nash too? Either way, it might be a lost season for the Nets regardless of who takes over. If it's Ime, he won't have any of his own assistants and it's tough trying to install offensive/defensive concepts on the go. KD may just to want to cut his losses there and come to a team that's ready to win.

Cap

Post by Cap »

TOO wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:16 am
TOO wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:04 am
ShelC wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:58 am
Wowza. It was only a matter of time I guess. I don't know who can coach that team at this point.
Ime Udoka.
I am the new Flex.
LMAO. A roster full of toxic personalities, so they bring in a coach with personal issues.

It must be really difficult to be a Nets fan. How does anyone root for these people?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:26 am
I don't want to give up a Jae/Dario/Cam package for KD, but if I'm forced to, I'll consider it.
Depends on which Cam. ;)
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:11 am
Split T wrote:
TOO wrote:
I like to talk about the growth and development of players. It’s not just did they win the title or not for me. I also enjoy the nba as a whole and find this current suns team much better to watch than those years of atrocity in the 2010’s.

That being said, of course I want to win the title and I don’t think this team has a realistic shot. We need to make a move and I think we need to make a big one. Eric Gordon won’t do it. So I’ll let my frustrations be known in that department and don’t blame anyone for being down on this team and their chances without making moves.
On some level, I wouldn't have minded if we had struggled a little initially. I'm worried that the powers that be learn the wrong lessons from this continued regular season success ("Aaron Holiday should do the trick!") when recent playoff history should be our guiding light.
This hits the nail on the head. For some of us, it's just depressing seeing us win all of our games, becaue we know it means the team won't win the championship.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Saw the Nash firing coming all the way back on July 4th. It helped that KD and Kyrie all but demanded it…
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:10 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Split T wrote:
TOO wrote:

This hits the nail on the head. For some of us, it's just depressing seeing us win all of our games, becaue we know it means the team won't win the championship.
Yeah, winning sucks! Only losing teams win.

"Be Legendary."

TOO

Post by TOO »

You know what happens to teams that win a lot of games, get old and don't draft well, they go right back to being terrible with no title aspirations. Which is why you should capitalize on your window when you can. The Suns have not.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:26 am
I don't want to give up a Jae/Dario/Cam package for KD, but if I'm forced to, I'll consider it.
I'm assuming it's the inclusion of Cam that gives you pause?
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:50 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:10 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Split T wrote:
TOO wrote:

Yeah, winning sucks! Only losing teams win.
Obviously, I'm exaggerating a little. It's fun to win games, but it does cause worry about how the team reacts to the regular season success.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
I think they do want to see if Udoka can turn it around with this current group, but I could see them looking to make moves near the deadline if the team is well below .500.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.