Suns bought by Mat Ishbia…Sarver is Gone!!!

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Suns bought by Mat Ishbia…Sarver is Gone!!!

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The Drake meme is stupid but it actually matches my thoughts at the moment.

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

TOO wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:43 pm
He should count his money during free throws.
It's time for you to forget your password again.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:46 pm
TOO wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:43 pm
He should count his money during free throws.
It's time for you to forget your password again.
:lol:
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Sounds like Ishbia aims to please his players and fans alike by being aggressive to trade for some fucking help. No tank then! Let’s hope JJ can get something done.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

This is usually when teams make the dumbest moves. The new owner “big splash.” I’m nervous.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

You’re not supposed to say the quiet part out loud.

Aztec Sunsfan

Post by Aztec Sunsfan »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:36 am
This is usually when teams make the dumbest moves. The new owner “big splash.” I’m nervous.
Last time, that was the Nash signing, isn't? Although it was already manufactured....

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Goob

Post by Goob »

I am very excited for the Ishbia era if you will. What he has said so far is all gravy to me but yes I know some Suns fans will be on the fence until some things come to fruition. Do feel he wants this team to be an instant winner however, the hell with tanking in any form, so that's great imo.
Tar Heel Suns Fan

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

It's not a coincidence we saw a high effort game from the players with the new owner making his first appearance. The bright side is the opposite would've been really worrying.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

From what I've read about Ishbia, other than no local ties, he's about as good an owner as we could have hoped for.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'm cautiously optimistic. Sarver also had a lot of pep and excitement when he showed up. But before long we started to see signs of what he really was. I hope Ishbia turns out to be a great owner. One of the smartest things he could do is just not insert himself into every little thing, not micro-manage the franchise, not insist on being the center of attention. Do some good community outreach, cheer on the team, let the basketball people decide team stuff, and mostly step back and let others be in the spotlight.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I can't think of anyone that was excited that Jerry sold the team, and almost immediately Sarver started doing dumb stuff.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

In2ition wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:24 am
I can't think of anyone that was excited that Jerry sold the team, and almost immediately Sarver started doing dumb stuff.
I have zero doubt we would have won at least one championship had Jerry not sold. We were SO close but penny pinched in a game of inches. Paying Joe Johnson alone could have been the difference.
"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:36 am
Maybe the “big splash” is just something like this

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Sources: Mat Ishbia's purchase of Suns, Mercury to be official soon

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/355 ... icial-soon
Ishbia becoming the team's official owner by the Feb. 9 trade deadline will clear the way for Ishbia to oversee the team's deals with the front office. Ishbia is eager to start his involvement with basketball operations, and expected to be a hands-on owner in matters of team building, sources said.
This is kind of what I had anticipated. Sounds like Sarver 2.0, except Ishbia at least has basketball knowledge and hopefully will spend money.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:37 am

Ishbia becoming the team's official owner by the Feb. 9 trade deadline will clear the way for Ishbia to oversee the team's deals with the front office. Ishbia is eager to start his involvement with basketball operations, and expected to be a hands-on owner in matters of team building, sources said.
This is kind of what I had anticipated. Sounds like Sarver 2.0, except Ishbia at least has basketball knowledge and hopefully will spend money.
And not be an asshole.
"Be Legendary."

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:

Just the hands on part? Feels like most owners like being involved. Can’t really blame them after they spend Billions of dollars

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:29 pm
JeremyG wrote:

Just the hands on part? Feels like most owners like being involved. Can’t really blame them after they spend Billions of dollars
Yeah, I know people were hoping for a hands-off owner after Sarver's micromanaging ways. But if Mat actually knows what he's doing (and is better at relationships lol) then a collaborative effort with the front office should be fine. As long as he doesn't barge into the locker room and berate the coaches on Xs and Os. :lol:
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.