Suns bought by Mat Ishbia…Sarver is Gone!!!

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Suns bought by Mat Ishbia…Sarver is Gone!!!

Post by Split T »

Ya I’m hoping he just wants to be involved but is smart enough to defer to the basketball minds he hires

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

My hope that he knows to hire great basketball minds to do things, instead of people he could just control on the cheap.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Maybe he considers himself to be a great basketball mind, though. ;)
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

In2ition wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:51 am
Dude is an all time great gm. Promote jj to something else and let BM draft and recruit.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:29 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:37 am
Sources: Mat Ishbia's purchase of Suns, Mercury to be official soon

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/355 ... icial-soon
Ishbia becoming the team's official owner by the Feb. 9 trade deadline will clear the way for Ishbia to oversee the team's deals with the front office. Ishbia is eager to start his involvement with basketball operations, and expected to be a hands-on owner in matters of team building, sources said.
This is kind of what I had anticipated. Sounds like Sarver 2.0, except Ishbia at least has basketball knowledge and hopefully will spend money.
Just the hands on part? Feels like most owners like being involved. Can’t really blame them after they spend Billions of dollars
Cuban won a championship. It can work.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:55 pm
Dude is an all time great gm. Promote jj to something else and let BM draft and recruit.
That's already happened.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Jones tells Burns & Gambo that he has not had any detailed conversations with Ishbia and won't until the deal is finalized. He's only had "fleeting" conversations about "macro-level" things about the direction of the franchise.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:54 pm
Jones tells Burns & Gambo that he has not had any detailed conversations with Ishbia and won't until the deal is finalized. He's only had "fleeting" conversations about "macro-level" things about the direction of the franchise.
Was that recent or older?
"Be Legendary."

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:18 pm
Drewsprocket wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:55 pm
That's already happened.
So Bob could just come in and do the real work of coordinating a better vision? I lack faith in JJ’s approach to draft perhaps with getting trades done but we will see...

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:57 pm
JeremyG wrote:
He was talking to them as I was typing it if that answers your question. :lol:

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:17 pm
Superbone wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
It certainly does. Thank you. I want to give it a listen.
"Be Legendary."

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:20 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:17 pm
Superbone wrote:
JeremyG wrote:
It certainly does. Thank you. I want to give it a listen.
The audio is up already: https://arizonasports.com/category/podc ... Show+Audio

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Thanks again. Just listened. Interesting choice of words when he said "go in a different direction". I'm not sure if he just means with new leadership or what. Also, liked how he said we could use all of those things when responding to Gambo's list of improvements with the impression that we're looking to bolster them externally.

He said he had only talked to Ishbia on a macro level and would get into more details with him once the transition is official. Are there rules against just talking before it's official?
"Be Legendary."

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'm thinking Ishbia will focus on the business side first, cleaning up whatever mess Sarver's left behind. I hope he leaves BOps alone for the time being, aside from giving them more budget for scouts/personnel people. I don't get this fixation with putting Jones and Monty on the hotseat just because there's a new owner. They've helped turn this franchise around, both have tons of credibility with players and Jones has been fine adding players on the margins. Some might not agree and think it's his fault for not having traded for KD, Giannis and Dame this offseason but those fans should look around the league and see how other teams are operating.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I feel like Ishbia will want to make a splash. Owners don't usually buy a team just to sit back and watch. There's a reason he wants to show up in person at games as soon as possible. My guess is he does turn over some of the FO staff and others to put his mark on the team.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

ShelC wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:26 am
I'm thinking Ishbia will focus on the business side first, cleaning up whatever mess Sarver's left behind. I hope he leaves BOps alone for the time being, aside from giving them more budget for scouts/personnel people. I don't get this fixation with putting Jones and Monty on the hotseat just because there's a new owner. They've helped turn this franchise around, both have tons of credibility with players and Jones has been fine adding players on the margins. Some might not agree and think it's his fault for not having traded for KD, Giannis and Dame this offseason but those fans should look around the league and see how other teams are operating.
I don't think anyone is saying that we should throw JJ out, I think that we're saying that we welcome the brain trust growing larger and stronger as it was in the Colangelo years. It wasn't just Jerry, it was also Cotton, Al Bianchi, and some young guys who eventually became big shots in their own right.

I've been a Monty fan but I am growing tired of how he plays favorites.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

It's more of what I've seen on social (and some here) impatient with JJ and Monty after...2 1/2 years. I just don't want an owner coming in acting like they know everything, hiring yes-people and hiring/firing execs and coaches every 3-4 years.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

The T-Wolves’ new owners’ “big splash” was probably the worst trade of the last 20 years.

Split T

Post by Split T »

virtual9mm wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:16 am
ShelC wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:26 am
I don't think anyone is saying that we should throw JJ out, I think that we're saying that we welcome the brain trust growing larger and stronger as it was in the Colangelo years. It wasn't just Jerry, it was also Cotton, Al Bianchi, and some young guys who eventually became big shots in their own right.

I've been a Monty fan but I am growing tired of how he plays favorites.
In what way does he play favorites?

I don’t think we’ll see a front office overhaul immediately, but I do think the summer could see big changes. I’m sure he’ll bring in someone to add to the mix, but I assume that someone will be below JJ, at least at first.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I don't expect any big changes (roster, coaching, or front office) until the offseason. But at that point, especially depending on how our season ends, I'm sure everything will be on the table for Ishbia to evaluate.