Suns News: Week 12 (1/2 - 1/8)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShadowHawke

Re: Suns News: Week 12 (1/2 - 1/8)

Post by ShadowHawke »

I miss the days of Joe Proski and Aaron Nelson.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

From Bobby Marks' Insider article...if we're looking at young, longer wings than Reddish would fit the profile. He's got some good slashing and 3-D ability, Knicks fans were excited about him but I don't think he was ever part of NYK's long term plans; they just bought low from the Hawks last year to try and flip him as an asset. They were showcasing him earlier in the year and now he's waiting out a trade. Crowder would fit well with NY as a vet to help them defensively and hit big shots - something they're missing right now as they're looking to take that next step.

For the FVV fans

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

They have certainly sniffed around the big man market in recent seasons. Toronto engaged Dallas about acquiring Kristaps Porzingis for Goran Dragic and the first-round pick ultimately sent to San Antonio for Thaddeus Young. The Raptors registered interest in Rudy Gobert this summer, sources told Yahoo Sports, although there was never a serious approach from Toronto. Myles Turner and Deandre Ayton have been two other centers on Toronto’s radar, sources said. And former Raptors center Jakob Poeltl, who left the franchise with DeMar DeRozan as part of a 2018 offseason blockbuster to land Kawhi Leonard, remains a target of Toronto’s front office, as Yahoo Sports reported in December.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:06 am
I think he and Monty had a falling out and they just didn't want him around after a trade didn't happen this summer. Seems like Monty likes the guys he likes and doesn't budge much on others who don't go along 100%.
Doesn't really add up for this to just be a Monty vs. Jae thing. It feels like this isn't about a falling out as much as it is the "coaches" (including Monty) not going to bat for him with James Jones when it came to trading him and/or deciding his role for next season.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:45 am
It's funny. JJ has always prided himself on being a GM who considers players humans and not assets and a culture steward.

You either die a hero or GM long enough to become Ryan McDonough.
I feel like with Jones and Monty we're getting to that same point we did with D'Antoni and McDonough. The latter two experienced early success, but their quirks and weaknesses became more pronounced and more impactful until they were standing in the way of the team succeeding.

I feel the rigidity of James Jones has worked against us for a little while now, and now Monty is showing signs of it too.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

INFORMER wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:07 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:45 am
It's funny. JJ has always prided himself on being a GM who considers players humans and not assets and a culture steward.

You either die a hero or GM long enough to become Ryan McDonough.
I feel like with Jones and Monty we're getting to that same point we did with D'Antoni and McDonough. The latter two experienced early success, but their quirks and weaknesses became more pronounced and more impactful until they were standing in the way of the team succeeding.

I feel the rigidity of James Jones has worked against us for a little while now, and now Monty is showing signs of it too.
I don't think Monty Williams holds us back day to day during the regular season. But it does worry me that he doesn't seem to have another "gear" in the playoffs. We seem to flame out when we face a daunting team, or a team with a more cunning coach. Once an opponent figures us out in a series, we're toast.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'd also like to see more innovation from Monty, but it seems like that stuff usually comes from assistant coaches. Things would also look a lot different without Chris Paul on the team. Hopefully it happens next season if the 3 young guys are still on the roster, but I'm not exactly holding my breath.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.