Suns News: Week 12 (1/2 - 1/8)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Suns News: Week 12 (1/2 - 1/8)

Post by ShelC »

I think he and Monty had a falling out and they just didn't want him around after a trade didn't happen this summer. Seems like Monty likes the guys he likes and doesn't budge much on others who don't go along 100%. He prob feels the same way about DA but is dealing with him because he's a young big they need right now, former #1 pick, etc.

Split T

Post by Split T »

We all saw that we needed an upgrade to one of the non-Booker starters(plus Cam) and Crowder made the most sense. Expiring contract, not young, no upside, provided more peripheral stuff that’s easier to replace.

He got upset that we looked to move him and that we valued CamJ’s shooting and Mikal’s point of attack defense and offensive upside over his help defense and overall toughness.

I think we had a moment where if we could’ve moved Ayton for another creator that we could’ve kept Crowder, but once Ayton was re-signed and locked into the team until Jan 15th, Crowder became the only real option. We were never going to trade Mikal and Cam just hardly makes any money and would be hard to find equal value(though we could’ve attached someone like Saric).

We really should’ve just moved him this summer…and yes I know the KD situation is probably why we didn’t, but we botched the handling of Jae…Jae is also being a baby about it.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

carey wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:09 am
Spoiler: show/hide
Well this is disappointing. :(
I understand that the ownership situation complicates things, but if JJ had a home run trade on the table, could he not just get both Sarver (through Garvin) and Ishbia to sign off? That's annoying, but not impossible. What else is he actually doing right now? He's not managing our talent pipeline in the G-League. He's not scouting Liberty vs Central Michigan State.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:30 am
carey wrote:
I understand that the ownership situation complicates things, but if JJ had a home run trade on the table, could he not just get both Sarver (through Garvin) and Ishbia to sign off? That's annoying, but not impossible. What else is he actually doing right now? He's not managing our talent pipeline in the G-League. He's not scouting Liberty vs Central Michigan State.
Who knows how bitter Sarver is behind the scenes and maybe doesn't mind sabotaging things? I definitely wouldn't put it past him to be petty.
"Be Legendary."

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:32 am
Shabazz wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:30 am
carey wrote:
Who knows how bitter Sarver is behind the scenes and maybe doesn't mind sabotaging things? I definitely wouldn't put it past him to be petty.
Sarver may be bitter. And he may be an asshole. And he may be spiteful. But I don't think he's that kind of spiteful, bitter, asshole, if that makes sense.

Reminds me of this:
Last edited by Shabazz on Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

We’re left with the following narratives:
A. Crowder upset over Cam Johnson starting because Cam is a better starter.

B. Monty didn’t appreciate Jae by the two having differences. Context for bench role

C. Crowder wanted an extension. JJ showed no commitment towards that and writing was on the wall. Both expected a trade sooner than later.

D. All the above. Jae struggles accepting these circumstances and asked for a trade. JJ is just trying to show other players he will respect you and pay you for not honoring a last year deal.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:38 am

B. Monty didn’t appreciate Jae by the two having differences. Context for bench role

C. Crowder wanted an extension. JJ showed no commitment towards that and writing was on the wall. Both expected a trade sooner than later.

D. All the above. Jae struggles accepting these circumstances and asked for a trade. JJ is just trying to show other players he will respect you and pay you for not honoring a last year deal.
It's funny. JJ has always prided himself on being a GM who considers players humans and not assets and a culture steward.

You either die a hero or GM long enough to become Ryan McDonough.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Honestly, I just think Jae being the asshole here. JJ fucked up not trading him in the offseason, sure, but I don’t want to absolve Jae from the fact that he’s probably just as asshole lol

I’m sure when Jae decided he was gonna refuse to play until he’s traded, he probably thought this would be over way sooner and now everyone’s stubbornness is bitting everyone in their own asses.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:45 am
Drewsprocket wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:38 am

It's funny. JJ has always prided himself on being a GM who considers players humans and not assets and a culture steward.

You either die a hero or GM long enough to become Ryan McDonough.
That JJ hasn’t trashed him in the media, said he can be away from the team is good enough. JJ’s only fault is not pushing for a deal sooner, that is unless he has something up his sleeve (but it’s annoying to believe that).

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

So Crowder says he’s upset with Monty, and all of his teammates support him. Sounds like Monty doesn’t have much longer with the team.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:06 am
I think he and Monty had a falling out and they just didn't want him around after a trade didn't happen this summer. Seems like Monty likes the guys he likes and doesn't budge much on others who don't go along 100%. He prob feels the same way about DA but is dealing with him because he's a young big they need right now, former #1 pick, etc.
Monty takes the whole “coaches are stubborn” thing way too far.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:12 pm
So Crowder says he’s upset with Monty, and all of his teammates support him. Sounds like Monty doesn’t have much longer with the team.
You really will jump on anything to trash Monty, no matter how much of a stretch

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

All the starters are clearly faking their injuries and revolting against Monty because they hate him. He's cooked.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
I love your "out of left field" perspective. It always takes me by surprise.
"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

JeremyG wrote:
Lol

TOO

Post by TOO »

Wally_West wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:59 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Lol
Incredible lol.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

TOO wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:26 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:59 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Lol
Incredible lol.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:27 pm
All the starters are clearly faking their injuries and revolting against Monty because they hate him. He's cooked.
Don't forget they hate him AND want Ayton to get more touches and a new coach would help with that.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Some have likened Ayton to J.B. Carroll.
J.B. had better stats.

No, Ayton is more like James Edwards.
A journeyman center with a long career ...
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

LazarusLong wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:09 am
Some have likened Ayton to J.B. Carroll.
J.B. had better stats.

No, Ayton is more like James Edwards.
A journeyman center with a long career ...
Yep, I'm sure you're right when all is said and done. His next contract will not be for the max. I sure hope he's not the type to turn it on just when he's extension eligible but it's quite possible and another reason I'd be willing to move on from him.

Seriously, if he was being paid commensurate for what he does, I'd have no problem with him. I still might get a little frustrated since he has the physical gifts and doesn't use them fully but it would be MUCH more palatable.

Just please, for the love of god, stop talking about dominAYTON, buddy!
"Be Legendary."