Grade the Suns' Draft

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

How do you think the Suns did in their draft this year?

A
17%
B
78%
C
4%
D
No votes
F
No votes

Total votes: 23

Mori Chu

Grade the Suns' Draft

Post by Mori Chu »

How do you think the Suns did in their draft this year? Vote now, and explain why by posting in the thread.

Mori Chu

Re: Grade the Suns' Draft

Post by Mori Chu »

I gave them a "B". I don't think they hit a home run or got a future star, but I don't think there were a lot of better options for them. I wanted Kyle Anderson and/or Stauskas, but Stauskas wasn't available and Borat seems like a good draft-and-stash. So I'm pretty content with how it ended up.

carey

Post by carey »

No, don't grade the draft. Draft grades right after the draft are dumb, sorry Mori. :(

Now if you want to grade the 2011 draft, I'm down...
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

I think we nailed it with 3 potential future starters. I dont really know much about the double Bogdan but from the reports and vids he looks legit. Really liked Warren and Ennis. I'd give them a high 5.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Warren's upside is Cedric Ceballos. Ennis could be a shorter version of Kendall Marshall with a better attitude and at least a concept of D. I think Bogdanovich could be one of the steals of the draft; good size/length, good motor at both ends of the court, plus a hint of Manu-like chutzpah.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Carey: While it is too early to assess the eventual success of this draft, it's OK to see what the fanbase thinks of the team's direction.

For example, if I'm a Toronto fan, I wonder who was having an acid-flashback when they made their choice.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Ennis is a better shooter than Marshall, they are in no way similar aside from being PGs.

Warning: I'm gonna defend the hell outta this kid until I'm proven wrong. :lol:

I do like the Ceballos comp for Warren, the young Ced was a tough dude to handle.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

I'm not necessarily knocking Ennis; Marshall showed he could play in the league with the Lakers last year. ;)
As for Ennis, I would have preferred somebody with more size, but if he's as savvy as I've heard, he'll be a fine captain of the second unit. Ish Smith is very fast, but he's often a bit out of control.

carey

Post by carey »

LazarusLong wrote:Carey: While it is too early to assess the eventual success of this draft, it's OK to see what the fanbase thinks of the team's direction.

For example, if I'm a Toronto fan, I wonder who was having an acid-flashback when they made their choice.
I don't mind a thumbs up or thumbs down. :) Toronto swears other teams were going after that guy and that even the Suns liked him & was an option at 27.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Ennis is a much better prospect than Kendall Marshall. for most of the season there was a strong debate over Smart vs. Ennis, but between a slow finish to the season and predictably not blowing anyone away in workouts, his stock slipped.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

carey wrote:No, don't grade the draft. Draft grades right after the draft are dumb, sorry Mori. :(

Now if you want to grade the 2011 draft, I'm down...
I 100% agree that we won't really know until these guys hit the floor, probably not for a few years overall, especially for Bogdan. But I think it's fine to talk about how we each individually feel about the picks relative to other players we liked, etc. It's just for fun.

Basically, what Laz/Dusty said.

TOO

Post by TOO »

[youtube]XZ6JM8wHt2Y[/youtube]

[youtube]t5PT4Q2TaS4[/youtube]

TOO

Post by TOO »

EDC

Post by EDC »

I don't follow college basketball at all. I'm just optimistic so A it is. :)

I was pretty impressed at how well Ennis handled the big moments in some of the youtube videos I saw. I know that isn't much to go on but in the tight games they showed he took control down the stretch.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

B, just because the Suns probably made the most out of two spots, #14 and #27 (an asterisk here for Anderson, if only because the Spurs drafted him). I have to watch Ennis to see if that B is a B- or B+.

da_suns_fan

Post by da_suns_fan »

As always Im a bit negative. Im curious to see how TJ's methods of scoring will translate to the NBA.

carey

Post by carey »

da_suns_fan wrote:As always Im a bit negative. Im curious to see how TJ's methods of scoring will translate to the NBA.
That floater is money at any level. It's the other stuff I'm a bit worried about.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Whats up boys...I was there last night and found a few other Suns fans. Happy to see we were represented.

Here are my thoughts...

T.J. Warren B+-Not to toot my own horn, but I nailed this from day 1. It makes a lot of sense and Mcdonagh's comments told you they wanted Warren. Before this pick I wanted Harris,Anderson or Warren. I was satisfied with it. The reaction from Suns fans there was good on this one.

Tyler Ennis C- Look there are people that get paid to break the draft picks down that like this pick a lot. There was just too many other guys on the board I would of took. Passing on Harris here hurt me..alot. I think he's going to be a great pro. Jay Bilas really likes Ennis and the one thing you keep hearing from everyone is how composed he is on the court. I thought for sure this pick was going to be dealt to Toronto, but it looks like we are keeping it. The other Suns fans I talked to this about hated this pick (for different reasons) Most wanted Kyle Anderson, but the other "NBA" Fans I discussed this with liked Ennis.

Bogdon Bodganovic- B+ I like this pick alot. The only reason it does not get an A is because I wanted Kyle Anderson instead and think we wiffed in him as did everyone else. Bogdon will contribute when he comes over...Fran Friscilla had nice things to say and all I hear on this kid is how much he loves basketball and how much he's improved. At this pick I had Anderson/Bogdon/Early as my unquestioned top 3 left. It was a real solid pick by Mcdonaugh and a guy I heard the Spurs really loved..just wish they could of gotten Anderson to.

Alec Brown- B+...I like Alec Brown alot. He is the guy I wanted here and he has the chance to devolpe into a stretch big. He shot the lights out at the combine and really had an awesome yr for Green Bay last yr. Had they made the tournament they could of made a run and he would of went a lot higher.

Overall: B. The only pick I didn't like was Ennis. This would of been an A- Had Harris or Anderson went here instead. The other three guys they took are all guys I wanted them to take given who was on the board. I think they're going to regret not taking Harris Over Ennis and everyone will regret Kyle Anderson falling to the Spurs, But I think T.J. Warren has a chance to be REALLY good and we'll see how quick they can get Bogdon over. Ennis does not have the tools some of the other PG's in this draft had, but its not like he can't play. They just passsed on better prospects IMO. Overall I'm happy they stayed away from the 3 landmined guys I had on my no draft list @14 and 18...Lavine,Hood,Young.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Also for anyone who is on the East Coast I HIGHLY recommend going to the draft. Its a Hoops Junkies dream...Just awesome talk between fans from every team.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

SDC

Post by SDC »

I wonder how many minutes warren, len, goodwin, ennis is going to get from horny.