Suns News: Week 14 (1/16 - 1/22)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: Suns News: Week 14 (1/16 - 1/22)

Post by Split T »

Chris Paul apparently did everything in practice as well today…not sure if he’ll play or not yet though

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

As depressing as this team is right now, once we start getting everybody back, things are going to look better. Having Cam, CP3, then Book back, we will be a very strong team. Probably not going to rise back to the top of the West, but I could see us going on a run and moving up to the point where we can skip the play-in with a 5 or 6 seed. And I don't think this team needs home-court to make a playoff run. I still don't think this is "our year," but I'm just saying, we may feel a lot better about things in 2-3 weeks than we do now.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:33 pm
^ It's not an ideal quote, but I feel like there's not much you can say. We're missing half our team, and we're losing games because of it. Nobody is happy about that. I wish Ayton could put the team on his back more, but I don't want to overanalyze every little quote he gives after a loss.
How about analyzing his 5 rebounds then when he's the best we have at it?
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:59 pm
As depressing as this team is right now, once we start getting everybody back, things are going to look better. Having Cam, CP3, then Book back, we will be a very strong team. Probably not going to rise back to the top of the West, but I could see us going on a run and moving up to the point where we can skip the play-in with a 5 or 6 seed. And I don't think this team needs home-court to make a playoff run. I still don't think this is "our year," but I'm just saying, we may feel a lot better about things in 2-3 weeks than we do now.
I sure hope so!
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Regarding Van Vleet, don't forget that he was strongly rumored to be our target before we got Chris Paul.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I just don't see how we bring in another "starting caliber" PG while CP3 is still here. It may be the right thing for us to do long-term, but it would be too awkward given the egos and the pecking order in the locker room.

I think the move to replace CP3 / find his successor will come next year. That's when he's partially guaranteed. I think we'll keep him most of the year and then either trade him or trade for his successor late in the year.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think you can move CP3 to the bench…keep his minutes down

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:38 pm
I just don't see how we bring in another "starting caliber" PG while CP3 is still here. It may be the right thing for us to do long-term, but it would be too awkward given the egos and the pecking order in the locker room.
It'd be a tricky situation and I'm not sure a player like FVV would go for it. It's like trying to have your cake and eat it too and he's too high caliber a player. Maybe CP comes off the bench, maybe we make a deal and the Raps decline CP's option so he can go someplace like LA - we get FVV, Raps clear some space and CP plays with LeBron close to home. Giving up 4 picks is a ton tho, unless you think FVV and Siakam are worth 2 each and can elevate us the next 2-3-4 years to title contenders. But Siakam's got a bit of an injury history and I'd be concerned about FVV as a smaller guard on the other side of 30.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

We had Kidd and KJ together at one point. Dragic and Bledsoe. I'm sure we could make it work.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:45 pm
We had Kidd and KJ together at one point. Dragic and Bledsoe. I'm sure we could make it work.
We had Kidd, KJ and a young Nash together at one point. Too bad the Suns don't have the talent evaluators they once did.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:38 pm

I think the move to replace CP3 / find his successor will come next year. That's when he's partially guaranteed. I think we'll keep him most of the year and then either trade him or trade for his successor late in the year.
I can’t imagine why we would pay CP3 $30 million next year. He’s got to be cut in June, right?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

It would be incredibly stupid to trade for FVV right now unless it's part of a multi-player deal that includes Anunoby or Siakam.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:13 pm
It would be incredibly stupid to trade for FVV right now unless it's part of a multi-player deal that includes Anunoby or Siakam.
I would throw Ayton at the Raptors for FVV + OG or just Siakam. CP3 can come off the bench for all I care. He’s a good dude.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Drewsprocket wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:34 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:13 pm
I would throw Ayton at the Raptors for FVV + OG or just Siakam. CP3 can come off the bench for all I care. He’s a good dude.
Doesn't really have anything to do with Chris Paul. It's just dumb to trade for a guy that can probably be signed as a free agent in 6 months.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

How apropos that picture of Dragic, Thomas, and Bledsoe is with all trying to grab the same ball.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:49 pm
Doesn't really have anything to do with Chris Paul. It's just dumb to trade for a guy that can probably be signed as a free agent in 6 months.
In general, yes. But we can't sign any free agents in FVV's salary range this offseason because we'll be way over the cap. That would still be true even if we cut CP3, I believe, though I think we are unlikely to cut CP3 anyway.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The feeling is mutual, buddy.

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:32 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:49 pm
In general, yes. But we can't sign any free agents in FVV's salary range this offseason because we'll be way over the cap. That would still be true even if we cut CP3, I believe, though I think we are unlikely to cut CP3 anyway.
I think they'd have enough room if they cut Paul, which I assume would be the case. It partially depends on the cap hold of whoever is acquired for Crowder.

Of course we can't forget about Cam Johnson's extension. That's where they'd probably have to make a choice between him or FVV assuming they don't trade Ayton.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

A hot streak to be in the play-in 😤