Game Day: Pacers (23-24) @ Suns (22-24), Sat 1/21/23

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
ShelC

Re: Game Day: Pacers (23-24) @ Suns (22-24), Sat 1/21/23

Post by ShelC »

Postgame quotes and videos
Spoiler: show/hide

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Good game
Being legit contenders (and the games not really mattering to Playoffs) is a luxury that we should never take for granted
However I always enjoy watching the unheralded guys get their time to show they're worth.

Mikal pull up game been very good in this 20pt stretch
He still struggles in the 4th because he still really isn't that shifty off the dribble to get by a solid defender from a triple threat or stationary dribble.
He's best when he gets the ball on the move or a rotation pass
Plus when he gets the screen out top his handle not tight enough to split the two defenders or beat the big man that's hedging
So you saw him just quickly picking up his dribble and hitting Biz or Jock at the high post, then they also in an uncomfortable spot so whole offense taking too long to develop but again is learning and he will be better from this experience
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

As for the others

Biz knack to block people is crazy
He could have easily had a 20-20 game too, God bless him and his little flip shots and hooks :). They go in a decent enough amount of time 8-)

Saben Lee very solid again and like I said last game, Monty gonna go with him as a point guard over DWJ. Even with those BS calls he did his job as the primary ball handler down the stretch.
I was glad to see Monty switch things up and get DWJ involved playing some 2-guard minutes. Looked much more comfortable in the first half but his early 4th quarter stint was kinda rough, again (decision making).

Not sure you can hate on Okogie
We all marvel at his D and say we wish he could just be decent on O. So when scoring games like this happen, we end up with just a crazy highlights reel. His motor and athleticism really is nuts lol

Was happy to see Ish late game contributions
As EJ said, it was really Offense - Defense subs with him and D.Lee so the fact the ball found him and he made the big 3 then I thought the drive and dish to Jock was top stuff
Good for him

Saw the tweet about how much salary these guys worth
As much as the injuries have derailed our record, I'm interested to see how things look next month cause after having to "figure" things out by themselves....
Being asked to just take advantage of all the attention Book gets, they might do a decent job after all 🤷🏾‍♂️

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:40 pm
We’ll have bigger problems if he’s playing that role in the 4th when the games matter more.
Incorrect, that’s exactly what we needed the last two years- someone else to be s threat when the games get tight so they can’t just take Book out and shut the whole offense down

Goob

Post by Goob »

Another good win.Biz and Okogie were both superb.This team is showing heart and I love it.
Tar Heel Suns Fan

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:41 am
Split T wrote:
We’ll have bigger problems if he’s playing that role in the 4th when the games matter more.
Incorrect, that’s exactly what we needed the last two years- someone else to be s threat when the games get tight so they can’t just take Book out and shut the whole offense down
But that’s not really what we’re talking about here. This is Mikal being the primary threat. He’s never going to be that. Being able to make a play when better players are also on the court is a lot different than being able to make a play as the best player on the court. We don’t need him to be Booker, we need him to be able to do something if they start doubling and blitzing Booker.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:29 am
specialsauce wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:41 am
Split T wrote:
But that’s not really what we’re talking about here. This is Mikal being the primary threat. He’s never going to be that. Being able to make a play when better players are also on the court is a lot different than being able to make a play as the best player on the court. We don’t need him to be Booker, we need him to be able to do something if they start doubling and blitzing Booker.
Okay fine, that’s a good point

Split T

Post by Split T »

I have noticed in this stretch that Mikal does get quieter in the 4th, but I’m cautiously optimistic that his improved play overall as a more featured scorer will come in handy with Booker back. I think we still need a true number 2 for him, but I’m hopeful teams won’t just be able to trap Booker and essentially shut the entire offense down anymore.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Okogie: 24-10-4, 6-11 FG
Come on, Gerald. You have to add those 4 blocks to Okogie's stat line. Makes it that much more impressive.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Asked Josh Okogie about that above-the-rim tip-in, which Monty Williams described as a "Superman" play.

"With the mask on, it was more like Black Panther."
Ha! I was thinking the same thing. Man, it seems like he's really peaking as a player right now. His offense is such a bonus.

I was also surprised to see that Jock had a double double.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:33 am
Whoa! And even more impressive that it was his first game wearing the mask. It didn't bother him one bit.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:40 am
I have noticed in this stretch that Mikal does get quieter in the 4th, but I’m cautiously optimistic that his improved play overall as a more featured scorer will come in handy with Booker back. I think we still need a true number 2 for him, but I’m hopeful teams won’t just be able to trap Booker and essentially shut the entire offense down anymore.
This is what I'm thinking, too. I think this stretch will be good for Bridges and make him better when Book is back.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Just imagine a game against say Denver where they put someone like MPJ on Mikal…now instead of running Booker through a play, we run Mikal and make MPJ defend it. Advantage us…and now Booker is standing in the corner spacing for Mikal…again advantage us. Mikal now also becomes the de facto late game screener for Book. If they trap, now Mikal has a 4 on 3…if they switch, now Book has a lesser defender on him.