Suns News: Week 15 (1/23 - 1/29)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
specialsauce

Re: Suns News: Week 15 (1/23 - 1/29)

Post by specialsauce »

CP3/Book/Bridges/Johnson/Collins with Payne/Bogi/Craig/Saric/Poettl

Play 5 out and just embrace the small ball

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:21 am
We gonna talk about how CP3 looks really good lately? Anyone getting their hopes up? With Booker coming back soon, Mikal looking like he’s progressed as legit 3rd option, CamJ back letting it fly and CP3 finding his rhythm, are we looking ok? Just need to make a Crowder trade and get 2021 Playoffs Ayton and we might have a shot.
I'm cautiously optimistic and hopeful. But I have to say that it looks really tough to get to a title this year. In the playoffs we'll have to face teams like the Pelicans, Mavs, Grizz, and Nuggets, or maybe even a team like the Warriors. I just look at the matchup and feel like we're at a disadvantage against almost all of them, even when healthy. The Pels are big and strong and we have real trouble stopping Zion, Ingram, or McCollum. The Mavs are Suns kryptonite and Luka and their shooters always demolish us. The Grizz think they're better than they are, but they are deep and athletic and we can't really stop Ja from plowing to the basket for fouls. The Nugs, we've had better luck against them in the playoffs in the past, but this year they're deadlier than ever, and we have struggled more against them since they got Gordon. Even the Warriors, I wouldn't want to play at their arena in a playoff series.

Basically I think we have a real danger of losing in the first round this year, even if we get it together and rally for a decent playoff seed. And this season would have to be viewed as a huge disappointment if that happens.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I kinda think the opposite…there’s a lot of good teams, but all have issues. There’s no great team in the West. I’m most worried about a healthy Pels team, but I feel decent about our chances against most other teams. I really don’t want to see Dallas, even if I think we’re a better team.

I think there’s a lot of depth, so ya we could lose in round 1 as well, but just a bunch of good teams, no great ones. Just gotta hit the playoffs at the right time.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Supposedly had interest in the draft but instead traded back and took his teammate Cam. He's another young guard who could come off the bench now and still have some potential as a starter down the line.

Also this from the article

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:54 am
You’re thinking of his brother Jaden McDaniels. This is talking about Jalen with the Hornets
I don't how I missed the reference to Charlotte or read "Jaden." Sorry Gambo, I am the clown here.

Funny thing is, I almost still feel the same way. In fact even moreso. I think Jalen has looked better than Jaden until this season, so I still question why just some recent strong play wakes up Gambo or the front office after JALEN has been pretty impressive for the last couple of seasons. I mean, just a couple weeks ago, Gambo was putting this out:

But now because of a recent string of games, it's time to start considering him?!
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

ShelC wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:52 am
Split T wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:54 am
You’re thinking of his brother Jaden McDaniels. This is talking about Jalen with the Hornets
The irony!
Glad you enjoyed it, Shel.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:42 am
INFORMER wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:17 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:13 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:23 am
At least we will have an owner who (likely) will allow Jones do something rather than an owner who insists Jones do nothing.
Fixed that for you.
Jones is glad you have bought in on the Sarver scapegoat.
Sorry, I didn't know you were an insider. We will see, won't we? Or not if somebody (Myers?) is brought in.
I am not stating anything definitively, I'm just not going to assume all or even most of the bad decisions are because of Sarver.

If someone wants to point to the dismissal of the G-League affiliate is because of Sarver or the skeleton crew in the office is because of Sarver, that's fine. That very well could be true.

But we have people acting Sarver was behind James Jones dragging his feet on adding a 10-day contract was because of Sarver, or that Jones can't trade Crowder because of Sarver (even though Jones' foot soldier Windhorst even outlined how Jones could do a deal that wouldn't require Sarver's approval.

I don't think there is any reason to believe Sarver forced Jones to trade a 1st round pick for Landry Shamet, or that he forced him to extend him. I don't think it is reasonable to think Sarver forced James Jones to blow a chunk of the MLE of JaVale McGee. The list goes on and on of missteps that have Jones' philosophy on them.

Sarver actually OK-ed Jones' biggest investment: matching Ayton's contract. So it really just seems like Sarver is more of a convenient scapegoat than the one responsible for any roster issues the Suns currently have.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

specialsauce wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:49 pm
I would love to swing a 3 team deal with SA and ATL to get DA to ATL and Collins, Bogi and Poettl to us sending out DA and a pick
Wow Saucey, for someone who wants to give up 1st rounders like they're a cheap home game giveaway prize, that actually is a pretty decent use of a 1st rounder.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

We've talked about probably every Crowder trade possibility, including Coby White.

I'd be perfectly fine with getting him. He can create for himself, he fits the culture (being boys with CamJ), and he is young.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't hate Coby White, but isn't he basically a clone of Cam Payne? Slightly better shooter? Wouldn't that make us have a logjam of mediocre backup PGs? Or is the thinking that White will stay here a while and grow?

Split T

Post by Split T »

He’s significantly bigger than Payne…can’t say I’m super familiar with his game though

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:26 pm
Or is the thinking that White will stay here a while and grow?
I think that has to be the case if you make that trade.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:17 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:49 pm
I would love to swing a 3 team deal with SA and ATL to get DA to ATL and Collins, Bogi and Poettl to us sending out DA and a pick
Wow Saucey, for someone who wants to give up 1st rounders like they're a cheap home game giveaway prize, that actually is a pretty decent use of a 1st rounder.
I did it! I proposed a deal sending out a pick that inf approved! My life is complete

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

I knew that is what you were shooting for.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:21 am
We gonna talk about how CP3 looks really good lately? Anyone getting their hopes up?
22.3 ppg, 10.8 apg, 6.0 rpg, 55.6 FG%, 43.5 3PT%

That is a player the Suns can win a championship with. But I have no hope that play will last.

carey

Post by carey »

Split T wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:31 pm
He’s significantly bigger than Payne…can’t say I’m super familiar with his game though
My posts about Coby White a few years ago. viewtopic.php?p=149442#p149442

Ha, I didn't realize I said in that post I'd be ok with trading down for Cam Johnson before the Suns actually did it. :lol:
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

It's very worrying to me that Coby White has had ample opportunity to perform with Lonzo Ball on the shelf for so long. Yet his value has only plummeted.

There could certainly be a rehabilitation opportunity with him, but it's too risky to give up an asset of significant value for him right now.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:13 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:42 am
INFORMER wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:17 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:13 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:23 am
At least we will have an owner who (likely) will allow Jones do something rather than an owner who insists Jones do nothing.
Fixed that for you.
Jones is glad you have bought in on the Sarver scapegoat.
Sorry, I didn't know you were an insider. We will see, won't we? Or not if somebody (Myers?) is brought in.
I am not stating anything definitively, I'm just not going to assume all or even most of the bad decisions are because of Sarver.

If someone wants to point to the dismissal of the G-League affiliate is because of Sarver or the skeleton crew in the office is because of Sarver, that's fine. That very well could be true.

But we have people acting Sarver was behind James Jones dragging his feet on adding a 10-day contract was because of Sarver, or that Jones can't trade Crowder because of Sarver (even though Jones' foot soldier Windhorst even outlined how Jones could do a deal that wouldn't require Sarver's approval.

I don't think there is any reason to believe Sarver forced Jones to trade a 1st round pick for Landry Shamet, or that he forced him to extend him. I don't think it is reasonable to think Sarver forced James Jones to blow a chunk of the MLE of JaVale McGee. The list goes on and on of missteps that have Jones' philosophy on them.

Sarver actually OK-ed Jones' biggest investment: matching Ayton's contract. So it really just seems like Sarver is more of a convenient scapegoat than the one responsible for any roster issues the Suns currently have.
My change up of Jeremy's post wasn't to be taken literally. It just shows the two extremes. The truth is most likely somewhere in between.
"Be Legendary."

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:40 pm
There could certainly be a rehabilitation opportunity with him, but it's too risky to give up an asset of significant value for him right now.
Crowder is an asset of significant value?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

He’s proven to be a valuable rotation player in the playoffs for several seasons in a row. That is far more significant value to a contender than an underperforming young player.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.