SUNS 2014: Free Agency

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Wally_West

SUNS 2014: Free Agency

Post by Wally_West »

LeBron?! Melo!? We shall find out soon!!!!

TOO

Re: SUNS 2014: Free Agency

Post by TOO »

Broussard was actually making sense on ESPN today, if the Heat bring all their guys back they wont be able to do the necessary upgrades needed. So maybe LeBron leaving isnt THAT far fetched. Why return to essentially the same situation you just opted out of?

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Make of it what you will - I'm just shaking my damn head at this, a player we have absolutely no need for:

Suns May Offer Gordon Hayward Max Contract This Summer

TOO

Post by TOO »

Good shooter/Defender/Passer/Rebounder Everyone has a need for that, Green/Dragic FA next year, PJ/Frye this year, he makes up slack for all that.

Not saying I'd max him, but I'd understand it.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

So much smoke around Phoenix the last day, its just not how Mcdonaugh operates so I call B.S.

Yes I believe we will call about Lebron, but I doubt we go balls to the wall. Ryan is smart...he won't be held hostage. I think we make a "non max" offer to Hayward. I think the one rumor that is true is are interest in Kent Bazemore....seems to be pretty consistent with the type of guy Mcdonaugh wants.

Remember the Bledsoe trade came practically out of nowhere as did the timing of the Gortat to the Wiz trade...
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

The fact that we aren't linked to Monroe at all is suspicious. He makes sense and seems like he isn't a top priority for the Pistons who are absolutely commited to upgrading at SG according to reports.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Supposedly LeBron wants the max which is about 22mil, or at least, he wants to be the highest paid player on the team (since he's never been that apparently). I think Riley sells those 3 on structuring their deals, and his roster, similar to the Spurs, where maybe LeBron gets his 22mil, Bosh gets 12 and DWade gets 8-10. They have about 55mil to play with so they'd still have money for a Gortat or Lowry. Or if LeBron gets 18 to start, Bosh takes 10 and Wade takes 8...even more money. Bottom line is the money needs to be spread more evenly so you have 2 starters maybe upper/mid-tier money and money leftover for role players. I think that's more or less what will happen.

For us, I've seen Hayward and now Deng being linked to us. I like Deng but I'd pass. He's too injury prone and he's intent on playing for Great Britain just about every summer. I like Hayward but no way I think he's worth more than 8 per.

I like Monroe and might offer him 10-12 but not sure if he really fits our style and Detroit would probably match.

Overall, I hate the idea of giving the max to a guy I feel doesn't really deserve it and who'd be getting it just so we can sign him away from his own team.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Sources told ESPN.com that all 30 teams were informed this week via league memorandum that an increase in the cap from this season's $58.6 million to $63.2 million in 2014-15 -- thanks to increased revenues -- is now expected. A corresponding rise in the luxury-tax threshold from $71.7 million to $77 million is also projected, sources said.
Shel, the Heat have 55m in caproom now as I understand it, they'll have very little after re-signing the big 3. I'm no cap guy, but I dont see how they can add any significant pieces after the big 3.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

TheOriginalOriginal wrote:Good shooter/Defender/Passer/Rebounder Everyone has a need for that, Green/Dragic FA next year, PJ/Frye this year, he makes up slack for all that.

Not saying I'd max him, but I'd understand it.
I honestly think Frye's gone, Bledsoe & P.J. will be retained and we'll go solely after LeBron James - if any of that falls through, IMO, MAYBE there's a chance we make a run at Hayward, but, as you stated, not for anywhere near max.

Green I'd probably let go after the season, as we've got Goodwin in the wings ready to bust out.....

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Shel, the Heat have 55m in caproom now as I understand it, they'll have very little after re-signing the big 3.
Again, follow the spurs model. If I'm Riley, I convince LeBron to take 18, Bosh 12 and Wade 10...which comes to 40 with 15mil left over. Resign Haslem for like 3 and use the remaining 12 on a combo of Gortat and guys like McRoberts, Morrow, Meeks, Blake...

I think Frye's all but gone to GS with Kerr and Gentry.

And I'd rather put money back into the team than overspend on a Hayward or Deng.

Interestingly, I was actually open to signing Ariza to a big deal starting at around 8, and when comparing him to Green, they're numbers are extremely similar. Ariza's better defensively for sure, but I don't know that we should commit big money to him.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I'm not seeing LeBron taking less money than before, he's 22M or bust.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

ShelC wrote:
Shel, the Heat have 55m in caproom now as I understand it, they'll have very little after re-signing the big 3.
Again, follow the spurs model. If I'm Riley, I convince LeBron to take 18, Bosh 12 and Wade 10...which comes to 40 with 15mil left over. Resign Haslem for like 3 and use the remaining 12 on a combo of Gortat and guys like McRoberts, Morrow, Meeks, Blake...

I think Frye's all but gone to GS with Kerr and Gentry.

And I'd rather put money back into the team than overspend on a Hayward or Deng.

Interestingly, I was actually open to signing Ariza to a big deal starting at around 8, and when comparing him to Green, they're numbers are extremely similar. Ariza's better defensively for sure, but I don't know that we should commit big money to him.
There is no way in hell Wade just opted out of $40M in guaranteed cash to take a 3 year/$30M deal. Whatever he gave up, he's going to get on the back-end. Which means we're probably looking at 3 years/$51M.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

What are your guy's thoughts about potentially signing Ed Davis?

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Wally_West wrote:What are your guy's thoughts about potentially signing Ed Davis?
Too little of a fish to consider him right now.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

ShelC wrote:...
I'd rather put money back into the team than overspend on a Hayward or Deng.

You are reluctant to go after Hayward because of money but Ariza starting at 8M is ok? In my opinion Ariza is not worth that. At all (which doesn't mean that he can't get it, of course). And if given the choice between Hayward at say 13 per or Ariza at 8 I go with the former every day and honestly I don't think it's even close.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I hope they don't spend money, just to spend money. It feels like a bunch of guys like Ariza, Bazemore, and Davis fall into that category.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

TOO

Post by TOO »

I think McD has more sense than that, but we'll see.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I hope not. It would be Childress, Turkeyglue and Warrick all over again.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

TOO

Post by TOO »

In2ition wrote:I hope not. It would be Childress, Turkeyglue and Warrick all over again.
It wouldn't be that bad as pretty much every FA available are better than those turds, but yeah I'd like to not blow all the cap on mid-level players.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I would be happy to have Hayward but not at the max. I really don't want Ariza. Don't think he is talented enough and it seems like he will get overpaid by LA.