2023 General Offseason/PostSeason League News

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: 2023 General Offseason/PostSeason League News

Post by Split T »

Shabazz Napier? I don’t know if I’d say he made them do that…he didn’t even stay in Miami after they drafted him. Miami chose to do that in a desperate attempt to keep him there

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

MightyMoog wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:21 pm
Even at his peak, you never feared Lebron. Since I’ve been watching basketball there have been 3 players that struck fear into the opponents hearts. MJ, Prime Shaq and Kobe.
This is a wild take.

Possibly the signature play of LeBron's entire career came on the defensive side of the ball and he's always been a player who looks to make the right team decision on offense. He could win the game in so many ways.

Sure, Kobe had some great shots in the playoffs. But there was a decent stretch of Kobe's career where teams wanted him to take over on offense because he'd inevitably ice out his teammates and come up short.

I'd much rather face prime Kobe than prime LeBron in the playoffs.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Split T wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:27 pm
Jordan has been an awful talent evaluator in Charlotte…he’d have ruined the bulls if he was making decisions on the roster
I don't buy that. I think Jordan the Owner has made different decisions than Jordan the player would have.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:30 pm
I'd much rather face prime Kobe than prime LeBron in the playoffs.
Now that is a wild take.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

Let’s be completely honest here

Lebron’s titles all have asterisks

Over OKC in a lockout season, they beat a bunch of youngsters with very little experience.

Over Spurs they win on a Kawhi missed free throw.

Over the Warriors, they’re gifted with Draymond ejection, which Lebron baited him into.

With The Lakers, bubble, nuff said.

He has never ever never eaten the opponents heart for lunch. It’s never been a dominant win over a dominant opponent.

Jordan consistently beat the team with the best record in the finals, or the team with that year’s MVP.

Only people that never watched MJ play compare the two.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I watched him and I compare them.

You’re being incredibly unfair to LeBron. You want MJ to be better and your opinion is biased.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

I think a lot of players are in awe of the things LeBron has accomplished, but I don't see the fear that players had for Jordan.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

MightyMoog wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:02 am

Over OKC in a lockout season, they beat a bunch of youngsters with very little experience.

Over the Warriors, they’re gifted with Draymond ejection, which Lebron baited him into.

He has never ever never eaten the opponents heart for lunch. It’s never been a dominant win over a dominant opponent.

Jordan consistently beat the team with the best record in the finals, or the team with that year’s MVP.

I think this is a little too harsh toward Lebron. He is an exceptional player who carried 3 different franchises to titles. He deserves all of the titles he won; yes, he joined a stacked Heat team, which always irked me, but he was without question the leader and best player on that team, and his impressive work winning titles on the Cavs and Lakers shows he is capable of winning with a variety of different teammates and coaches.

But I do agree with your comment about eating the opponent's heart. Lebron didn't strike fear in his opponents' hearts. Nobody punked MJ the way players tried to go at Lebron, successfully. I'm more impressed with MJ's complete dominance of the NBA throughout the '90s than anything Lebron has done in his career.

Lebron's greatest accomplishment is his longevity, his durability, his ability to stay at an elite level for 20 years across multiple teams. This is quite an impressive accomplishment, but I don't think it makes a player a GOAT. Kevin Willis played a lot of years, Karl Malone played a lot of years. So what? They're impressive, not GOATs. Lebron was a great player, probably top 5 of all time. But nothing he did matches MJ's 1990s.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think he’s no doubt 1 or 2…I don’t see any argument for anyone outside of Jordan and LeBron at the top. Maybe Wilt, but that’s just so hard to compare because the game was so different and we lack context.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

MightyMoog wrote:

I really don't think any of those things warrant an asterisk. And I'm not even a Lebron = GOAT guy.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

People who put asterisks on things like this are just trying to rationalize heir view of a player.

I don't thing James is the GOAT, but you can't dismiss his achievements as him being the beneficiary of a bunch of fortunate circumstances.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Lebron isn't even the best NBA player to appear in a Space Jam film.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:41 am
MightyMoog wrote:

I think this is a little too harsh toward Lebron. He is an exceptional player who carried 3 different franchises to titles. He deserves all of the titles he won; yes, he joined a stacked Heat team, which always irked me, but he was without question the leader and best player on that team, and his impressive work winning titles on the Cavs and Lakers shows he is capable of winning with a variety of different teammates and coaches.

But I do agree with your comment about eating the opponent's heart. Lebron didn't strike fear in his opponents' hearts. Nobody punked MJ the way players tried to go at Lebron, successfully. I'm more impressed with MJ's complete dominance of the NBA throughout the '90s than anything Lebron has done in his career.

Lebron's greatest accomplishment is his longevity, his durability, his ability to stay at an elite level for 20 years across multiple teams. This is quite an impressive accomplishment, but I don't think it makes a player a GOAT. Kevin Willis played a lot of years, Karl Malone played a lot of years. So what? They're impressive, not GOATs. Lebron was a great player, probably top 5 of all time. But nothing he did matches MJ's 1990s.
I come down on the MJ side, too, but you're talking like LeBron's career is in the past. What if he carries the Lakers to a championship in his 21st season?
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Cap

Post by Cap »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:01 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:41 am
MightyMoog wrote:

I come down on the MJ side, too, but you're talking like LeBron's career is in the past. What if he carries the Lakers to a championship in his 21st season?
Doesn’t matter if he does. Doesn’t matter if he does it twice. 6/6 will still be talked about as a greater achievement than 6/12. All those additional Conference Championships will be a demerit for LeBron.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Personally, I am talking about GOAT status under the assumption that Lebron has won his last ring. If Lebron won another title(s), I'd reassess. It would probably depend on the circumstances; if he carries the Lakers to another title next year, okay, it has to give him points toward his GOAT case. If he signs for the minimum to play for the Suns in 2 years and scores 7 ppg while we carry him to a ring, meh.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Solid move for the Kings.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Definitely a guy I wouldn’t mind having for the minimum. Of course, he’ll play more in Sacto than he probably would here.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Probably washed.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

He played 17 games between Brooklyn and Detroit last season, and 25 games with the Knicks two seasons ago.

$3M plus the tax penalties on him would've been a waste of money for the Suns. At least Bol Bol has theoretical upside.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

This is such a tough question
Haha :twisted: :lol:

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)