2023 General Offseason/PostSeason League News

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: 2023 General Offseason/PostSeason League News

Post by Split T »

He can’t for a year, has to be acquired by another team first

Cap

Post by Cap »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:07 pm
I'm not at all surprised they cut Payne. He hasn't been coy about not wanting to be there and he's not much of a fit for what they're doing right now anyway.

He can't re-sign in Phoenix, and I wouldn't want him to either. Nice guy, but it's time to move on.
Having Saben Lee as our backup PG is moving on?

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

It's not just NBA guys, feel like I seeing much more of these stories
Smh :?

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Cap wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:48 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:07 pm
I'm not at all surprised they cut Payne. He hasn't been coy about not wanting to be there and he's not much of a fit for what they're doing right now anyway.

He can't re-sign in Phoenix, and I wouldn't want him to either. Nice guy, but it's time to move on.
Having Saben Lee as our backup PG is moving on?
Jordan Goodwin is the backup PG.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Oooooooof. We're very lucky as an organization that we have generally attracted high-character guys to our team. We can complain from time to time about our guys' play, but at least they aren't doing evil things like that. Sad to see it. Curious how it will unfold compared to the Miles Bridges situation.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

Yeah in Baseball. Julio Urias basically single handedly tanked the dodgers playoff aspirations by beating up his girlfriend.

I’m all for a zero tolerance policy. It shouldn’t be tolerated. If you’re found guilty or if there is video evidence, it should be a lifetime ban. There are plenty of deserving athletes to fill the void that wouldn’t take the opportunity for granted.

I’d even wipe there salary off the cap of the team so that there is no hesitancy for the team to cut ties.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

I’m very surprised about Payne. I thought the deal was a mutual agreement for him to go play for a team that he’d have the opportunity to play more minutes in a contract year. If San Antonio was going to cut him, I’d rather have kept him on our roster. He’s a more useful player than at least 5-6 guys we have right now.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

Also, isn’t 6 million a steep price to pay for a second round pick?

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:14 pm
It's not just NBA guys, feel like I seeing much more of these stories
Smh :?

I feel for the teams this happens too… unless it’s the lakers. Doesn’t the league sometimes compensate teams for stuff like this?

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

MightyMoog wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:31 pm
I’m very surprised about Payne. I thought the deal was a mutual agreement for him to go play for a team that he’d have the opportunity to play more minutes in a contract year. If San Antonio was going to cut him, I’d rather have kept him on our roster. He’s a more useful player than at least 5-6 guys we have right now.
No, he was upset we traded him and wanted to stay here and help us win a championship. I agree--there was no reason to trade him instead of cutting Ish or somebody.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:41 pm
MightyMoog wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:31 pm
No, he was upset we traded him and wanted to stay here and help us win a championship. I agree--there was no reason to trade him instead of cutting Ish or somebody.
There was a reason. The deal was always a financial move for both teams. We saved like $20M of luxury tax payments and the Spurs got a 2nd round pick and whatever cash is left after they waive him for temporarily absorbing his salary.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

No basketball reason. I would rather have a point guard than $20M in luxury tax savings for Ishbia.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The Suns have no fewer than 5 guys who can effectively handle the ball and initiate offense better than Cam Payne.

Why does it seem like people just care about seeing "PG" with a name next to it on the roster rather than actually projecting how the talent and rotations will be implemented?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

I would say only 3 guys better than him in Book,Beal and KD. And it's not like you want KD doing that. And if Book or Beal is out, would be nice to have a backup. I get the financial savings on our end. Not that I care about the Spurs, but to me 6 million seems steep for buying a second pick. He's still have been no worse than our 8th or 9th best player.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I think Gordon and Goodwin will also be better, and I don't think he'd crack the top 10 of this roster.

Of course there's always the "what if" injury scenario, but that's unpredictable and not exactly reasonable for someone like Payne to ride the pine for the chance it happens. That's more of a role for Saben Lee. That's not to mention Payne himself has missed long stretches of the past two seasons with various injuries.

Seems like a lot of people underestimate the value of having guys who work hard and contribute to a positive culture that don't require playing time.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:34 pm
No basketball reason. I would rather have a point guard than $20M in luxury tax savings for Ishbia.
Sure. That would be great. But I’m not gonna begrudge Ishbia considering what he’s shelling out for the rest of the team. Everyone has limits, even Steve Ballmer (that’s why we have Eric Gordon).

pickle

Post by pickle »

MightyMoog wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:12 pm
I would say only 3 guys better than him in Book,Beal and KD. And it's not like you want KD doing that. And if Book or Beal is out, would be nice to have a backup. I get the financial savings on our end. Not that I care about the Spurs, but to me 6 million seems steep for buying a second pick. He's still have been no worse than our 8th or 9th best player.
I might be reading your message wrong, but I think we paid the spurs 5.6 mil to take on Payne’s contract and they may have had a buy out negotiation. Also Payne’s original contract wasn’t fully guaranteed tho I’m not sure if that was guaranteed at some point or maybe it became so during the trade.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Yeah wish Payne showed more improvement on his weaknesses
Right hand
Controlling the flow

He is what he is, a Firestarter - get some points in bunches and excel in uptempo. Although Vogel does want us to play with pace I'm not bothered about the decision

With all that being said, I still like the dude and my trip to social media last night has me super annoyed :x :x
Don't feel like retweeting it but you believe Lakers fans are doing victory laps for that time when Bron was chirping at Payne from the bench cause we were kicking their ass
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

pickle wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:16 am
MightyMoog wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:12 pm
I might be reading your message wrong, but I think we paid the spurs 5.6 mil to take on Payne’s contract and they may have had a buy out negotiation. Also Payne’s original contract wasn’t fully guaranteed tho I’m not sure if that was guaranteed at some point or maybe it became so during the trade.
That would make more sense. I didn’t realize we sent cash their way as well.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I find these funny, because both of these trades by themselves seem ridiculous, let alone in combination.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/mi ... r-AA1gBtRP
Miami Heat Land Giannis Antetokounmpo And Trae Young In Two Proposed Blockbuster Trades
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass