The Chris Paul Appreciation Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

The Chris Paul Appreciation Thread

Post by Superbone »

Thank you Chris for getting us to the Finals and giving Booker a great partner the last few years and helping to build our franchise to where KD and Beal wanted to be here. You will go down as one of the all-time greats.
"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Re: The Chris Paul Appreciation Thread

Post by Wally_West »

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Is it too early to ask if he deserves to be in the ring of honor.

Drewsprocket

Post by Drewsprocket »

He’s an automatic ring of honor. He brought excellent culture and helped us to the finals. Gave us some of the best highlights in Suns great history.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Only 3 years…he was probably 75% as good as Chuck and spent 75% of the time here.

But he made me a fan. I wasn’t a CP3 fan before, but I am now.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Can't ask for much more than he brought. He saw the foundation we had, made his way here and helped get us to another level. His body just couldn't hold up, but even going out in the trade he's helping us a ton.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

ShelC wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:14 pm
Can't ask for much more than he brought. He saw the foundation we had, made his way here and helped get us to another level. His body just couldn't hold up, but even going out in the trade he's helping us a ton.
Perfectly summed up

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

The swipe throughs were legendary and the elbow jump shots were automatic.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Chris Motherfucking Paul.

How many times did we see him takeover games in the 4th quarter in first two years here? The guy had icewater in his veins and would do anything he needed to in order to win.

Granted, he was an older player who broke down more often than we would have liked, but he gave them a strong leader on the court and helped them establish a winning environment.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Wally_West wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:54 pm
Is it too early to ask if he deserves to be in the ring of honor.
He took us to a finals...so yes...

TOO

Post by TOO »

Gonna be really annoyed when his old ass rips thru on us next year and draws a foul or 2.
Jones and Vogel out, Lue or Lee in, draft Grant Nelson or Tyler Kolek.

bIGDRAWLS0072

Post by bIGDRAWLS0072 »

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

I wrote this a couple of years ago, in response to a question in a game thread asking whether Paul was the best point guard in Suns history:
BKinSJC wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:36 pm
"Best" is hard to exactly quantify. Thinking about it, though, I think a good way to put it might be "most complete." There really isn't anything that it's important for a point guard to do, that Chris Paul doesn't do at least pretty well.

I think that if you look at the history of all the other guys, in every case, there's at least one weakness you can point at and say, "that guy was great, but..."
I think it was true at the time, late in that first season and heading into the playoffs that year, and that was even before he helped lead the single best overall playoff run in the team's history. It became steadily less so as age and injuries caught up over the next couple of years, but even now I wouldn't consider it impossible for him to turn up as a thorn in somebody's side next year, or the year after that. Remember, Houston thought he was done prior to the OKC trade, and he still had another act to get to.

He's been a pro. He's always taken whatever angles are there, and pushed to find every conceivable edge. I respect him even if I don't always like him, and wish him the best in whatever comes next, as long as it's not against the Suns.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

BKinSJC wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 6:29 pm
I wrote this a couple of years ago, in response to a question in a game thread asking whether Paul was the best point guard in Suns history:
BKinSJC wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:36 pm
"Best" is hard to exactly quantify. Thinking about it, though, I think a good way to put it might be "most complete." There really isn't anything that it's important for a point guard to do, that Chris Paul doesn't do at least pretty well.

I think that if you look at the history of all the other guys, in every case, there's at least one weakness you can point at and say, "that guy was great, but..."
I think it was true at the time, late in that first season and heading into the playoffs that year, and that was even before he helped lead the single best overall playoff run in the team's history. It became steadily less so as age and injuries caught up over the next couple of years, but even now I wouldn't consider it impossible for him to turn up as a thorn in somebody's side next year, or the year after that. Remember, Houston thought he was done prior to the OKC trade, and he still had another act to get to.

He's been a pro. He's always taken whatever angles are there, and pushed to find every conceivable edge. I respect him even if I don't always like him, and wish him the best in whatever comes next, as long as it's not against the Suns.
I had him pegged as the Suns' best PG ever at Game 2 of the 2021 Finals -- he was the wise vet who taught a whole bunch of kids how to win. He slipped several notches after the Game 7 meltdown against the Mavs and another few notches this year. His place in my heart as a Suns fan slid down similarly.

But yes, I say that he should be in the Ring for his contributions to a magical year in The Valley jerseys.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

The Ring?!?! No way.

He was good for two years here, but he was no Nash or KJ

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Just like Nash, even in exiting the team he gives us a huge assist. Thank you CP3.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

TOO wrote:
Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:09 pm
Gonna be really annoyed when his old ass rips thru on us next year and draws a foul or 2.
It could be fun to watch book defend him and book knowing his moves 😂

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

Paul helped put Phoenix back in the top echelon of teams again after a long time in the basement. Sad to see him get discarded after all he has done for the team. He might have lost a step or two. I think he is a true point guard and his job was sort of replaced by KD and Booker handling the ball. He sort of became a spot up shooter instead and I think the Suns are replacing him with player more suited for that.

Good luck CP3!

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

I'll always remember the mocking of Lebron/Drummond's back down in game 6 in 2021. That was right before Booker got tossed for waving good bye to the Bum Lakers.

Playing wise..game 6 against the Pels is 1 that stands out. Ofcourse Game 6 vs the clippers where he was so inside Pat bevs head he got him ejected
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”