Around the League: Week of 3/10-3/16

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Around the League: Week of 3/10-3/16

Post by INFORMER »

Mori Chu wrote: I am not at all okay with a player who goes out of his way to hurt or injure other players. I think Beverley should get suspended for that shit. There is no place for that in the game.
I don't think he was trying to hurt him, but I hate that he repeated the same unnecessary action that led to Westbrook getting injured. I get it. Beverley plays hard, he's aggressive, blah, blah, blah. His act last night was unnecessary and reckless. I don't need or want to see that. And I'm not even a Westbrook fan. But Beverley was out of line last year and was once again last night. Steven Adams should have punched him in the face.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

How about the Westbrook three pointer with Beverly defending and Westbrook grabs Beverly on his way down from his 3 point jump shot. Foul on Beverly.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I don't see why any team would want to pay that kind of money for some guy to manage from afar. Phil doesn't even have any front office experience. Knicks should just stay the course and stink on their own without him. Use that money to hire a really exceptional coach for next year.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I think he worked very closely with the Lakers front office during his time. If he is given proper authority, and Dolan doesn't interfere, he will be worth every penny.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

TOO

Post by TOO »

Phil is just gonna use NY to get to LA and Jeannie Buss. If I'm NY and he can't commit to working in NY, I tell Phil to get lost.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Superbone wrote:How about the Westbrook three pointer with Beverly defending and Westbrook grabs Beverly on his way down from his 3 point jump shot. Foul on Beverly.
I don't think he grabbed Beverley. Westbrook kicked his legs out a little and came down with arms extended, but Beverley moved into his shooting and landing space. Clear foul on Beverley in my opinion.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:
Superbone wrote:How about the Westbrook three pointer with Beverly defending and Westbrook grabs Beverly on his way down from his 3 point jump shot. Foul on Beverly.
I don't think he grabbed Beverley. Westbrook kicked his legs out a little and came down with arms extended, but Beverley moved into his shooting and landing space. Clear foul on Beverley in my opinion.
I'll definitely have to watch it again.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wally_West wrote:I think we should get used to the idea that Memphis will probably make the playoffs. I think it will ultimately come down to Mavs and us.
I could see Portland falling down into the bottom 4 of the playoff race and making things interesting.
"Be Legendary."

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

The Knicks are beyond clueless. Jackson is not the answer to any of their problems.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Well if they blow it up completely, he could be, but it wouldn't start til 2015. Let Melo go and start over.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I think they should do anything they can to stop Melo from leaving. He is really their only asset. I know he isn't a perfect player, but he's still a top 2-3 scorer in the league and a top-10 overall player for sure. You can build a contender around him. Do whatever you can to get him to stick around, then clean out the rest of the garbage and try to put better hungrier guys around him. Phil can't make them much better right away, but maybe he can help convince Melo to stick around at least.

TOO

Post by TOO »

They'd have to reshape their entire team and fill it with defensive role players who are ok with that role if they wanna win with Melo. They have Chandler and Hardaway Jr worth keeping, everything else is garbage (sorry Amar'e).
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Mori Chu wrote:I think they should do anything they can to stop Melo from leaving. He is really their only asset. I know he isn't a perfect player, but he's still a top 2-3 scorer in the league and a top-10 overall player for sure. You can build a contender around him. Do whatever you can to get him to stick around, then clean out the rest of the garbage and try to put better hungrier guys around him. Phil can't make them much better right away, but maybe he can help convince Melo to stick around at least.
I agree that something can be built around Melo, probably in the same way it was around Dirk, and maybe Iverson is a sense. But you can't do it while Melo is getting his third max contract if the only other thing you have is cap space. If he really cares about winning in NY, he'll need to make sacrifices, unlike what he did when he forced his way from Denver. He has been laying on the bed he made for himself ever since, and he has found out it's not very comfortable, because in the NBA you rarely are allowed to have your pie and eat it.

Granted that part of that is because his FO is so reckless, allegedly because of Dolan (by the way, what are the chances that Jackson changes that?), but the issue remains. An empty roster with just an overpaid Melo could still attract some FAs, but enough to build a contender? I seriously doubt it.

In my opinion the Melo era in NY had a chance to work but they botched it, and now it is too late, if we are talking about $23M+ per.

If winning is what Melo wants, NY is not the place for him.

TOO

Post by TOO »

12m a year for an executive is bonkers, good luck NYK.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Over the last 11 years New York has spent $205 million on just the luxury tax.

They aren't worried about paying an executive $12 million, they make so much off local cable tv that it's like printing their own money.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

TOO

Post by TOO »

Money well spent I'd say :lol:
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Yeah, they've really gotten their money's worth, haven't? they've probably spent another $800-900 million on salaries too!

In those 11 years they have made the playoffs four times and gotten to the second round once.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

TOO

Post by TOO »

Well at least Dolan will never be accused of being cheap, smart on the other hand..

I hope it works out for them, I like when NYK is good, I kinda miss the Ewing/Starks/Oakley days.
👀 Fire Frank Vogel.

carey

Post by carey »

Anthony Davis with a monster game to help beat the Celtics by a point in OT, 40 points & 21 rebounds.

OKC is currently not doing us a favor, losing to the Mavs by 21.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

carey wrote:Anthony Davis with a monster game to help beat the Celtics by a point in OT, 40 points & 21 rebounds.
*cough*INFORMER*cough*