USA Basketball

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
virtual9mm

Re: USA Basketball

Post by virtual9mm »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:59 pm
Did you watch the game?
At that level you really don't need to, do you.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

OK, so you're just box score watching and trusting a random on twitter, but that's good enough because of the "level"?

If you're going to come in posting some snarky takes without context then you're just trolling.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:05 am
OK, so you're just box score watching and trusting a random on twitter, but that's good enough because of the "level"?

If you're going to come in posting some snarky takes without context then you're just trolling.
Just annoyed, really. All sorts of double standards being thrown around and I'm tired of it. Perhaps I'll take a break until the beginning of the season.

But let me put it this way. If that 1 rebound performance in a Team USA loss were from Ayton, we wouldn't hear the end of it. Instead, I hear crickets from the folks who were so sure that JJJ's rebounding wasn't an issue. Hypocrisy is something I just can't stand.

I think that there's a lot of truth to the theories that these same folks care about Ayton just because he's ours -- social scientists call it the black sheep effect. I do think it's time for me to take a break.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

It's not hypocritical if JJJ and Ayton are doing very different things on the defensive end. That's why I asked if you watched the game.

It's not like JJJ is playing in a drop every possession and watching the ball bounce all around him. In fact, it's the exact opposite of that role and outcome.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:43 am
It's not hypocritical if JJJ and Ayton are doing very different things on the defensive end. That's why I asked if you watched the game.

It's not like JJJ is playing in a drop every possession and watching the ball bounce all around him. In fact, it's the exact opposite of that role and outcome.
Starting center with a 3 guard lineup, at some point you reach a level where none of these other factors matter. 1 rebound in 15 minutes when your team lost to an inferior opponent partly because of poor rebounding. There's just no other way to justify this as anything other than an atrocious showing.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The Americans should win this game tonight against Italy. That doesn't mean it'll look pretty because the Italians are competent and talented enough to play a tight game.

However, the Italians are a bit more turnover prone than many European teams, and the US thrive on turning defensive stops into transition points and trips to the FT line. Obviously the book on being physical and pounding the glass is out on the Americans, so maybe the Italians will be a bit more cautious with their possession.

Everyone deserves some blame for the way Lithuania made the Americans look in the first quarter of the last game. I honestly hope it was apathy that lead them to getting buried early because we're in trouble if they were out coached and executed that badly. This will also be the last game I give Kerr some slack for his rotations. Ingram should start over Hart, and I don't want to see Kessler on the court anytime if the game is within a few possessions. Portis has quietly been very good in his role in this tournament and I think his experience will be valued much more.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

virtual9mm wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:39 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Starting center with a 3 guard lineup, at some point you reach a level where none of these other factors matter. 1 rebound in 15 minutes when your team lost to an inferior opponent partly because of poor rebounding. There's just no other way to justify this as anything other than an atrocious showing.
Watch the second half and tell me about the rebounds you think he missed or was doing something else that diminished the chance the Americans secured the rebound.

Keep in mind these FIBA games are totally different than NBA games when you look at the box score. They're 8 minutes shorter, defenders can stand around the rim as long as they want, and there are fewer fouls and stoppages in general.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The Italians are cooked at halftime down 46-24.

The Americans played a new card in the first half with a 1-2-2 three-quarter court press that completely eliminated any offensive rhythm for the Italians. Really impressive stuff from the Americans, and especially Mikal who's pretty easily the best guy on the court in this game. The only gripe I have is that this should be at least a 30 point lead with the amount of missed wide open shots by the Americans.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

It looked more like a 1-2-1-1 diamond press to me. Mikal has been the best player on the floor. The score was 64-36, with Mikal, Brunson, and Hart having outscored Italy 38-36.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

A little late, but I’ll just say that no one thinks JJJ is a good rebounder. Everyone knows he’s bad at it. He also plays the 4 next to Steven Adams. Rebounding is not what he’s asked to do. He’s still an elite defender.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Americans are pouring it on led by Mikal to start the third. The quarter ended with Haliburton doing this...

They need to be careful of someone taking an unnecessarily hard foul in this 4th quarter.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Can’t watch as I’m working, but love seeing Mikal go off. Box score doesn’t look great for Ant…would love if Mikal keeps being the best player on the court. I kinda want to see him on the Olympic team next year with Book and KD

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The Panamanian (I did research) referee was absolutely terrible in this game. FIBA games are such a gamble because of the officiating.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:51 am
It looked more like a 1-2-1-1 diamond press to me. Mikal has been the best player on the floor. The score was 64-36, with Mikal, Brunson, and Hart having outscored Italy 38-36.
Semantics. Mikal was the tip of the spear creating havoc the whole time so the Italians never took advantage of the backside defense. :lol:

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

JJJ had a terrible game. :lol:

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

JJJ was being touted as the best player BY FAR on the USA team prior to the World Cup and in practice. I wonder what happened to that guy?
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Two fouls very early (seen that before) and he simply didn't make more than 1-2 impactful plays. Like I said a few posts prior, these FIBA games are weird when compared to the NBA. The shortened game and pace leads to these situations where it's far easier for guys to be completely out of sync with the flow of the game.

I don't recall him being touted as the best player. IIRC, all of the attention was going toward Edwards.

Split T

Post by Split T »

In2ition wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:46 am
JJJ was being touted as the best player BY FAR on the USA team prior to the World Cup and in practice. I wonder what happened to that guy?
Ya I never heard that(though I haven’t been following super closely). He had been playing very well until these last two games though. I feel like it’s always been Ant’s team.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:03 am
In2ition wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:46 am
Ya I never heard that(though I haven’t been following super closely). He had been playing very well until these last two games though. I feel like it’s always been Ant’s team.
https://theathletic.com/4754290/2023/08 ... world-cup/

Team USA votes Jaren Jackson Jr. as best player in FIBA World Cup training camp
By Joe Vardon
Aug 6, 2023
LAS VEGAS – It was a campaign of action, not words. There were a number of worthy candidates who made their case as the top member of Team USA over four days on the campus of the University of Nevada-Las Vegas, but the end result was a landslide.

By a vote of his peers, Jaren Jackson Jr. was selected the “best,” or “most impressive” or “stand out” player of the now-completed FIBA training camp, according to an informal poll by The Athletic of the entire Team USA roster, Jackson included.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nba/news/best ... jackson-jr
Best player at Team USA training camp? Teammates vote Jaren Jackson Jr.
By
Kurt Helin
Published August 7, 2023 08:04 AM

There were a few standouts in what the public was allowed to see of the USA Basketball training camp in Las Vegas. The Pistons’ Cade Cunningham (of the Select Team) stood out on the first day. The Knicks’ Jalen Brunson had his moments.

However, when The Athletic’s Joe Varden asked Team USA members for the camp’s standout, Jaren Jackson Jr. won going away.
Last edited by In2ition on Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:56 am
virtual9mm wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:39 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Watch the second half and tell me about the rebounds you think he missed or was doing something else that diminished the chance the Americans secured the rebound.

Keep in mind these FIBA games are totally different than NBA games when you look at the box score. They're 8 minutes shorter, defenders can stand around the rim as long as they want, and there are fewer fouls and stoppages in general.
Virt is right; your double standard is glaring.

Excuses, excuses, excuses. What happened to “lesser competition”? “Most of these guys can’t even make an NBA roster”?

defenders can stand around the rim as long as they want

So he should have tons of blocks and rebounds every game?

there are fewer fouls

And yet he’s in foul trouble every game.

And you can’t play great defense sitting on the bench.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.