Game Day (Preseason): Suns (0-0) @ Pistons (0-0), Sun 10/8/23

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Game Day (Preseason): Suns (0-0) @ Pistons (0-0), Sun 10/8/23

Post by Mori Chu »

Kryptonic wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:43 am
Someone like... (Mikal)

if only there was a way... :?
Funny thing is, I would actually prefer this team with Mikal back instead of KD. I think that'd be a better well-roundedness to the roster, and Mikal's youth, having him here for his whole prime, etc. But we probably wouldn't have gotten this team together without the KD trade. All these guys wanting to come here on minimum deals, it's because they think Book/KD is a core of a team that wins a title. So you can't really get this roster with Mikal still here. Ah well.

Split T

Post by Split T »

That’s kinda crazy…you’d trade KD straight up for Mikal? I love Mikal, he’s a top 2 all time favorite suns player, but that drops the ceiling of this team quite a bit. I get that it stabilizes the future a bit, but that’s putting a ceiling on this team that is probably 2nd round exit…maybe WCF

Suns_Dave

Post by Suns_Dave »

Gray-Sun gets a clean slate AFAIC. I will only judge him for what happens from this point forward.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:32 am
Split T wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:47 am
O_Gardino wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:17 am

Very good game for GrayA. I would love to see us trade him for a PG. TJ McConnell, D'Anthony Melton, and Pat Connaughton make about the same $. A guy can dream, right?
I would have said yes to trading Allen for TJ right after the trade, but not anymore. Allen is way better than TJ. Also I would not consider Melton and Connaughton point guards. Allen is just as much a Pg as they are.
"He played great! Let's get rid of him."

Seriously, not sure why so many are clamoring for a traditional PG. Let's see how we do as constituted before making big changes. I'd say the starters looked pretty good yesterday. Let's give it a little time before changing it up.
I agree with O. Like I said in the other thread, we don't need Allen. He and Gordon are redundant. We do need a PG. If we can get something more useful for Allen, I would do it.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Kryptonic wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:45 am
TOO wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:14 am
Yes, join me in Grayson Manor. It's very roomy here.
As far as I'm concerned... He has a fresh start here. If he does something that jeopardizes things with his shenanigans, I'd be happy to move on. Till then... I'm DHgating a jersey with Wally. :P
At that point it's probably too late to get any value for him.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:52 am
Kryptonic wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:43 am
Someone like... (Mikal)

if only there was a way... :?
Funny thing is, I would actually prefer this team with Mikal back instead of KD. I think that'd be a better well-roundedness to the roster, and Mikal's youth, having him here for his whole prime, etc. But we probably wouldn't have gotten this team together without the KD trade. All these guys wanting to come here on minimum deals, it's because they think Book/KD is a core of a team that wins a title. So you can't really get this roster with Mikal still here. Ah well.
Hey, I'm trying to dream here a little bit.... I want KD AND Mikal :) That would just be disgusting.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:16 am
Superbone wrote:
Split T wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

Very good game for GrayA. I would love to see us trade him for a PG. TJ McConnell, D'Anthony Melton, and Pat Connaughton make about the same $. A guy can dream, right?
I would have said yes to trading Allen for TJ right after the trade, but not anymore. Allen is way better than TJ. Also I would not consider Melton and Connaughton point guards. Allen is just as much a Pg as they are.

Seriously, not sure why so many are clamoring for a traditional PG. Let's see how we do as constituted before making big changes. I'd say the starters looked pretty good yesterday. Let's give it a little time before changing it up.
I agree with O. Like I said in the other thread, we don't need Allen. He and Gordon are redundant. We do need a PG. If we can get something more useful for Allen, I would do it.
We needed him yesterday. You hateorade is getting in the way here.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

Here’s what I thought was interesting…our rotation before we pulled the starters was basically:

Booker - Beal
Beal - Gordon
Okogie - Allen
KD - Yuta
Nurkic - Eubanks

It very much seems like the plan is to pull Beal early and bring him back to run the offense when Book sits. Allen came in for Okogie.

So right now I’d say Book/Beal/Gordon are our guard rotation(offensively) while Okogie/Allen is our SF rotation(offensively at least…they will be defending POA).

I don’t think Allen and Gordon are operating under the same position. They bring different things. Neither are just shooters.

Would a backup pg be helpful for times when Beal/Gordon/Book are out? Sure, but isn’t that Goodwin’s position? Let’s see how he plays. A backup pg isn’t going to play when we are fully healthy. Allen will. That seems like a bad trade off. Rotation player for injury insurance?

Cap

Post by Cap »

Split T wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:41 am
Ya I don’t understand how someone could watch the 1stQ of that game and think we need a traditional point guard…the offense was flowing perfectly, we were running at an insane pace, and just completely overwhelming Detroit…
You have to admit, overwhelming Detroit doesn’t prove much,
you spend 30 years as a basketball fan and get used to having a certain type of pg…it’s hard to break out of that mindset.
For the franchise of Johnson, Kidd, Marbury, Nash, Dragic, Rubio and Paul, it does feel kinda weird.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cap wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 12:42 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:41 am
Ya I don’t understand how someone could watch the 1stQ of that game and think we need a traditional point guard…the offense was flowing perfectly, we were running at an insane pace, and just completely overwhelming Detroit…
You have to admit, overwhelming Detroit doesn’t prove much,
Yes that is true…just think it doesn’t prove much either way

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:35 am
JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:16 am
Superbone wrote:
Split T wrote:
O_Gardino wrote:

We needed him yesterday. You hateorade is getting in the way here.
If we need him to beat Detroit in overtime in the regular season, we have a real problem.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:00 pm
If we need him to beat Detroit in overtime in the regular season, we have a real problem.
We played Booker/Beal/Durant 15, 14, and 13 minutes respectively. Settle down.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:57 am
That’s kinda crazy…you’d trade KD straight up for Mikal? I love Mikal, he’s a top 2 all time favorite suns player, but that drops the ceiling of this team quite a bit. I get that it stabilizes the future a bit, but that’s putting a ceiling on this team that is probably 2nd round exit…maybe WCF
Straight up, maybe not. But if I could get Mikal plus that decade's worth of draft picks back, that'd be more even.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:02 pm
JeremyG wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:00 pm
We played Booker/Beal/Durant 15, 14, and 13 minutes respectively. Settle down.
Uhh...that was exactly my point. We don't need Allen.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Jeremy = Let's get rid of a good player for a lesser player because of fit. The irony is delicious. Nom nom nom nom.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

I am.being lazy so not gonna YouTube search "G. Allen dirty plays"
I know ppl reference I believe an undercut with Caruso but for those so disgusted with him can y'all drop situations/circumstances

I gave it some thought and I realized my issues stemmed more from college and I just never cared for him since
It's just we basically mentioning him with Pat Bev n Brooks who I know for sure always on the verge of crossing the line plus had issues with Book....

I don't know if it's seeing those guys more regular in the west but off the top of my head I can't find things to put him in the same category as those two

So yeah
Feel free to comment on his recent (NBA BS....) or if like me the college prick he was rubbed ppl the wrong way
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Always like EG but he's older now, will still have his moments is what I said when we acquired him

How can the discussion be that Allen isn't necessary when he's better than EG now and our backup guard for Book n Beal

I not stressing the Point situation but I will say again
EG is older and I prefer his dribbling in quick attacks in the half court offense.
Book n Beal would be fine against full court pressure, not sure I want EG bringing up the ball that much
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

TOO

Post by TOO »

I'll say it again, Allen is better than Gordon. That situation will resolve itself within the first couple of weeks imo.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

They're not even redundant. EG's a flamethrower while Allen's a much more solid, well rounded player on both ends. EG is probably more of the luxury player for us than Allen. I'd still rather have both as insurance against injury but there's a reason Jones has been after Allen for a year now.

Split T

Post by Split T »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:25 pm
I am.being lazy so not gonna YouTube search "G. Allen dirty plays"
I know ppl reference I believe an undercut with Caruso but for those so disgusted with him can y'all drop situations/circumstances

I gave it some thought and I realized my issues stemmed more from college and I just never cared for him since
It's just we basically mentioning him with Pat Bev n Brooks who I know for sure always on the verge of crossing the line plus had issues with Book....

I don't know if it's seeing those guys more regular in the west but off the top of my head I can't find things to put him in the same category as those two

So yeah
Feel free to comment on his recent (NBA BS....) or if like me the college prick he was rubbed ppl the wrong way

I read this article:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nba ... i2xeruy82t

If you don’t want to read, it basically highlights 4 nba incidents

1. 2 flagrant fouls against Grant Williams in summer league in like 2019

2. Stepped on Trae Young’s foot

3. The Caruso incident(he swing through his arms and made him fall, breaking his wrist) in 2021-22

4. Got pushed into Derozan and gave a little forearm to him last year.

There are videos of all of them.

My opinion is the 2nd flagrant on Grant Williams was kinda dirty(1st one was more a response to Williams fouling him first).

Not sure about the Trae one, seemed kinda intentional though.

Caruso one was at the least very reckless and I’d lean towards it being dirty.

Derozan one is iffy. If it was say Eric Gordon instead of Allen I don’t think anyone would think twice.

Allen was bad in college, but he’s not been Pat Bev or Dillon Brooks in the nba.