Suns News: Week 4 (11/13 - 11/19)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
wpmiller42

Suns News: Week 4 (11/13 - 11/19)

Post by wpmiller42 »

Last Week's Games
Wed, Nov 8 @ Chicago 116-115 Win! :D
Fri, Nov 10 vs. LA Lakers 122-119 Loss. :x
Sun, Nov 12 vs. Oklahoma City 99-111 Loss. :(

This Week's Games
Wed, Nov 15 vs. Minnesota 7:00 PM MST SUNS LIVE, ARIZONA'S FAMILY 3TV / ARIZONA'S FAMILY SPORTS
Fri, Nov 17 @ Utah 8:00 PM MST SUNS LIVE, ARIZONA'S FAMILY 3TV / ARIZONA'S FAMILY SPORTS, ESPN
Sun, Nov 19 @ Utah 6:00 PM MST SUNS LIVE, ARIZONA'S FAMILY 3TV / ARIZONA'S FAMILY SPORTS, NBA TV - I'll be at this game!

Suns Stories
Yuta Watanabe’s value in promptness as a fire extinguisher - Bright Side of the Sun

Eric Gordon, Grayson Allen proving capable of bolstering Suns’ rim pressure

Ugly win over Bulls in Bradley Beal's return hints at Suns' sky-high potential

Suns' Bradley Beal scores 13 in season debut after back injury

The struggling Suns have some issues, even if it’s too soon to be concerned - The Athletic

Mori Chu

Re: Suns News: Week 4 (11/13 - 11/19)

Post by Mori Chu »

Thanks for making the threads, wp! Good stuff.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:54 am
Thanks for making the threads, wp! Good stuff.
Still too much red at the top for my taste. ;)
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Do we think that Vogel / Young are actively bad at coaching this team's offense? Like, if Monty were still our coach, would the offense be going better? Or is it more about the large number of roster changes that happened during the offseason, primarily dealing CP3 but also all the other role player changes? Or is it both?

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

If we could swap Gordon for CP3 I’d be happy to take him back.

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

I must admit Vogel's coaching is a big disappointment so far. My trust has vanished fast in him.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Haven't been impressed in any capacity with Vogel or Young. I don't care if you have injuries. It's not like we're running out a G-League roster. The offense looks like a bunch of iso plays with too many turnovers. Nothing has looked impressive from a defensive perspective. It looks like pickup basketball from our team vs. teams with structure and strategy.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Split T

Post by Split T »

Let’s go! Real season starts tomorrow

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:44 am
Haven't been impressed in any capacity with Vogel or Young. I don't care if you have injuries. It's not like we're running out a G-League roster. The offense looks like a bunch of iso plays with too many turnovers. Nothing has looked impressive from a defensive perspective. It looks like pickup basketball from our team vs. teams with structure and strategy.
The thing that annoys me most about Vogel and Co. is like you you said above; they could not implement any identity or strategy yet. You can reply that it's to early to judge but look at the Rockets or Sixers, Udoka and Nurse made an impact right away. Vogel looks like a rookie coach out there. Very strange indeed.
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:06 am

Let’s go! Real season starts tomorrow
Can't wait to finally get that first leading 1 in the tally!
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

You didn't already set it to 1? I'm confused. (ducks) /s

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

It's going to be a yo yo of "our full, true team" and a partial team of one or two of our star players. We need to build an identity and look cohesive regardless. We also need a PG as we can't depend on all 3 being healthy to offset the glaring hole of a non distributing PG when point Book is possibly resting or injured. I don't see Beal as that distributing PG that Booker is able to be.

People like to bring up "if we didn't have KD, we wouldn't have gotten the star-studded bench and the guys we signed wouldn't have come here". The same guys that have paired up with 1 or 2 of our "superstars" and shit the bed in the 4th quarter of almost all of our games.

Way to go coach. Way to go roster that requires us to have all 3 of our stars aligned if we want to win games.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I'm worried Booker is returning too soon just because we've been so bad without him. We don't need another setback from him. And please, please, please limit him to 20 minutes in his first game back!
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Carno

Post by Carno »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:57 am
It's going to be a yo yo of "our full, true team" and a partial team of one or two of our star players. We need to build an identity and look cohesive regardless. We also need a PG as we can't depend on all 3 being healthy to offset the glaring hole of a non distributing PG when point Book is possibly resting or injured. I don't see Beal as that distributing PG that Booker is able to be.

People like to bring up "if we didn't have KD, we wouldn't have gotten the star-studded bench and the guys we signed wouldn't have come here". The same guys that have paired up with 1 or 2 of our "superstars" and shit the bed in the 4th quarter of almost all of our games.

Way to go coach. Way to go roster that requires us to have all 3 of our stars aligned if we want to win games.
You've mentioned the need for a point guard many times, and I'd like to hear how you would make that happen. I don't see a path to a PG that will move the needle without moving one of the big 3. Personally, I think we are better off with Book at point than any other realistic, available options.

Split T

Post by Split T »

JeremyG wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:32 am
I'm worried Booker is returning too soon just because we've been so bad without him. We don't need another setback from him. And please, please, please limit him to 20 minutes in his first game back!
They were targeting this homestand before the last two losses so it seems by tomorrow was always the plan. Always a risk but considering he didn’t even know he strained the calf for a couple days, it was clearly pretty minor. I do agree that I’d limit his minutes.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:25 am
Do we think that Vogel / Young are actively bad at coaching this team's offense? Like, if Monty were still our coach, would the offense be going better? Or is it more about the large number of roster changes that happened during the offseason, primarily dealing CP3 but also all the other role player changes? Or is it both?
As everyone knows, I like to be very patient with coaches (even with Monty, I wanted to give him one more year, last season). But this has been a very disappointing start from Vogel. I want to withhold judgment a little longer, though, as we're only 10 games in, with constantly changing lineups. Perhaps if we could get some consistency and chemistry going for awhile with everyone healthy, we might perform better the next time one or more of the big 3 is out. But end of game playcalling definitely needs to improve. But yes, it's also the roster changes.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Carno wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:35 am
AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:57 am

You've mentioned the need for a point guard many times, and I'd like to hear how you would make that happen. I don't see a path to a PG that will move the needle without moving one of the big 3. Personally, I think we are better off with Book at point than any other realistic, available options.
Ya there’s not pg’s available right now. Booker coming back will do way more for our pg situation than any acquisition. I want to wait and see how we look with a full roster.