Suns News: Week 4 (11/13 - 11/19)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
TOO

Re: Suns News: Week 4 (11/13 - 11/19)

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:59 pm
I'm not too worried about it. Yet. Backs are a tricky beast. At least there's nothing structurally wrong with it. I think it was smart to put him on the shelf while he recovers rather than going through the day to day struggles. The hope is that he can fully recover and that it's not an ongoing issue.
I am worried about it lol.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

I’m very worried about it. He has structural issues. Those don’t just go away.

I’ll be surprised if he is playing basketball during the playoffs.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

What y’all think is the best case scenario with Beal then?

carey

Post by carey »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:30 pm

Where did you hear that?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

Wally_West wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:57 pm
What y’all think is the best case scenario with Beal then?
Depends on how much of a herniation/bulge there is, you can shave it off and be back pretty quick unless it reaches a nerve and all the sciatica stuff starts. You can try to rehab through it but it's only gonna progress without intervention most of the time. This is only speaking of my experience. It took me 6mo to get back to work after a microdiscectomy.

Now if it's just degenerative, rehab and hope for the best.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The Suns have until January 15th to apply for a DPE if he needs surgery.
If a player is seriously injured, his team can apply for the disabled player exception to replace him. In order for the exception to be granted, an NBA-designated physician must determine that the player is “substantially more likely than not” to be sidelined through at least June 15 of that league year.

If granted, the disabled player exception allows a club to sign a replacement player for 50% of the injured player’s salary or for the amount of the non-taxpayer’s mid-level exception, whichever is lesser.

For instance, if a team is granted a disabled player exception for a player earning $10MM, the exception would be worth $5MM. But if the injured player is earning $30MM, the DPE would be worth the equivalent of the mid-level exception (this season, that’s $10,490,000).
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

You don't want to get back surgery unless you absolutely need it. I hope they just try to rest and rehab him and make progress through non-surgical means.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

But if he's still in the same situation in 6 weeks and surgery appears to be the best option, he should have the procedure before the DPE deadline.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm not sure what to make of Beal traveling with the team and sitting on the bench with his injury. Any time I've had a lower back issue, being stationary for long stretches seemed to aggravate it. I hope it's an indication that it's not that serious, but really have no idea.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:25 pm
I'm not sure what to make of Beal traveling with the team and sitting on the bench with his injury. Any time I've had a lower back issue, being stationary for long stretches seemed to aggravate it. I hope it's an indication that it's not that serious, but really have no idea.
Yeah, that’s what I’m hoping too.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

carey wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:03 pm
specialsauce wrote:

Where did you hear that?
Shams report.

He says he's dealing with a disc issue with numbness going down his legs. Then he says theres no structural issue. Which is an oxymoron.

He can rest it for 6 weeks and do rehab, but the structural pathology that led to the radicular pain is still present. That's not an issue for an average person on the street who can let the initial inflammatory response subside before resuming activities. For a high level professional athlete who is required to put a significant amount of physical stress on his body, it's likely that it's going to just keep acting up until he decides he wants surgery. Especially someone like Beal who has shown very little ability to play through pain in his career unlike Steve Nash. Then there's a likelihood it'll ultimately flare up again at the level above and below the original pathology at some point in time, and all roads will lead to a lumbar fusion.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

TOO wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:45 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:52 pm

Fuck.

Who called that it was a disc issue?
There was no way with the way he was walking that it was anything but a disc issue. I've lived that life.
Ugh... this sucks. Sorry you're in that club.

Hopefully his being a one disc issue and having the best medical staff available he'll be able to get back to some normalcy. I know our training staff used to be one of the best in the league... Not so sure where they rank today but wish him nothing but the best.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Regarding our medical staff, we know Ishbia won't skimp there (like the last guy) so there's that.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

specialsauce wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:31 pm
carey wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:03 pm
specialsauce wrote:

Where did you hear that?
Shams report.

He says he's dealing with a disc issue with numbness going down his legs. Then he says theres no structural issue. Which is an oxymoron.

He can rest it for 6 weeks and do rehab, but the structural pathology that led to the radicular pain is still present. That's not an issue for an average person on the street who can let the initial inflammatory response subside before resuming activities. For a high level professional athlete who is required to put a significant amount of physical stress on his body, it's likely that it's going to just keep acting up until he decides he wants surgery. Especially someone like Beal who has shown very little ability to play through pain in his career unlike Steve Nash. Then there's a likelihood it'll ultimately flare up again at the level above and below the original pathology at some point in time, and all roads will lead to a lumbar fusion.
My main back issues stem from degenerative disc disease and am fused from c4-c7 and have herniations in 3 levels in my thoracic and 2 levels in my lumbar. L3/L4 are completely fused together. If he has numbing down both his legs he's probably going to have to have surgery... I know for me, the doctors said the longer you allow the numbness to persist, the longer it takes for you to regain that feeling again. Mine went for just over a year and a half and never regained feeling to my hands... more so my right hand (insert "stranger" joke here) and it's been 14 years now. So I'm predicting he might be done for the year. The recovery for a fusion is typically 6 months before you can go back to full activity.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Can’t wait to see the big 3 finally play together next season 😤

Ugh.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:19 pm
But if he's still in the same situation in 6 weeks and surgery appears to be the best option, he should have the procedure before the DPE deadline.
Yeah, that way we can sign a $25M free agent for the rest of the season. Start naming names, who’s out there that we can sign for $25M? Should be just about right for John Wall.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

#Optimism

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Cap wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:32 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Yeah, that way we can sign a $25M free agent for the rest of the season. Start naming names, who’s out there that we can sign for $25M? Should be just about right for John Wall.
Not $25M. The max would be the non-taxpayer MLE. I quoted it a few posts before.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Wally_West wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:34 pm
Spoiler: show/hide

#Optimism
Counter point: Espo is a moron.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:34 pm
Cap wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:32 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Not $25M. The max would be the non-taxpayer MLE. I quoted it a few posts before.
Whatever. Point stands. A DPE is meaningless when there are no better-than-minimum free agents on the market.