20 Game Check-In

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

What's your Grade for the Suns after 20 Games?

A
No votes
B
70%
C
25%
D
5%
F
No votes

Total votes: 20

AmareIsGod

Re: 20 Game Check-In

Post by AmareIsGod »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:24 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:10 pm
I will say it has been weird rooting for this team in the non-Booker games, where it’s almost an entirely new roster from this time last season. Other than Book, there isn’t a single “home grown” player we’ve become attached to.

I’m also a lot more emotionally detached watching the regular season this year because of the general feeling that it kind of doesn’t matter. It’s a result of being a little scarred from the last few playoffs and also recognize that how we perform in December has little bearing on how we’ll do in May, when the single biggest determining factor to our success will be health.
Speaking of home grown. :|

This was my concern. I voiced my displeasure when he was essentially dumped for nothing. Young guy has talent.
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:26 pm
This was my concern. I voiced my displeasure when he was essentially dumped for nothing. Young guy has talent.
I think we all were pretty high on him after Summer league and were disappointed by his inclusion in the deal. Been a while since we’ve had a rookie to cheer for.
"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

He wasn't "dumped for nothing" and every player the Suns received in return is better than Camara.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:36 pm
He wasn't "dumped for nothing" and every player the Suns received in return is better than Camara.
Keon Johnson says hold my beer. ;)
"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
I’d rather have Camarata than Yuta.
I know he wasn’t ever going to be part of the deal, I’m just saying.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:10 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Keon Johnson says hold my beer. ;)
Shit. Ya got me there. :lol:

First point still stands.
specialsauce wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:19 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
I’d rather have Camarata than Yuta.
I know he wasn’t ever going to be part of the deal, I’m just saying.
So..?
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'm at a solid B overall for the team we've seen so far. Definitely been some bumps and lapses, but I think that was mostly the adjustment period of guys learning to play together and in the system earlier on, along with the injuries. Book missed the first 10 or so games and we immediately went on a 7 game winning streak when he came back. He's our engine. Just he and KD with this rotation would probably be good for 50 wins but just outside of contention. That's where Beal has such value. We need him back healthy to get us over the top. Instead of Allen, Gordon or Okogie getting the kickout in the 4th from Book or KD - it'll be Beal. Big difference there.

I like the KD/Nurk dynamic. That combo is something we can go to in certain matchups. Nurk's probably playing as well as we could hope for at this point. The rebounding, physicality, high-post play and passing have been terrific. He'll be a liability on defense against some teams but hopefully we can scheme around that or just overcome it with offense.

Roleplayers EG, Okogie, Allen, Eubanks, Little, Goodwin, KBD, Metu have all been part of the rotation and seen good action, contributing in a lot of positive ways. EG's been a great addition and huge bargain, starting and filling in for Book and Beal. Okogie and Goodwin give us an edge on the perimeter with their hustle and defense. Allen's been rock solid filling in as a starter. Eubanks has been a perfect backup to Nurk. I think all those guys have lived up to, if not exceeded, expectations. I'd say Yuta and maybe KBD have been a little more disappointing but I still expect them to contribute more down the road.

I like that Vogel's experimented with lineups, sub patterns, matchups, playcalls, and managed everything while missing Book and Beal. He's always active on the sidelines, talking to coaches and players, calling good TOs, working the refs. There are times when the ball is really moving and the offense is flowing. The late game execution has been shaky early on and we lost a few games we shouldn't have so the record could be better. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now. If Beal, Book and KD are playing together in 2 months and we still can't break a press late in the game then my opinion might change.

Backup PG and PF could still be areas to address but I don't think they're glaring weaknesses. Even without Beal, we've managed with just Book well enough. A veteran 4 could go a long in cutting back on KD's minutes but not sure who could fill that role effectively in limited minutes. KBD or Metu might not be the answers there.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

20 game check in on big dick Nurk

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

ShelC wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:51 am
I'm at a solid B overall for the team we've seen so far. Definitely been some bumps and lapses, but I think that was mostly the adjustment period of guys learning to play together and in the system earlier on, along with the injuries. Book missed the first 10 or so games and we immediately went on a 7 game winning streak when he came back. He's our engine. Just he and KD with this rotation would probably be good for 50 wins but just outside of contention. That's where Beal has such value. We need him back healthy to get us over the top. Instead of Allen, Gordon or Okogie getting the kickout in the 4th from Book or KD - it'll be Beal. Big difference there.

I like the KD/Nurk dynamic. That combo is something we can go to in certain matchups. Nurk's probably playing as well as we could hope for at this point. The rebounding, physicality, high-post play and passing have been terrific. He'll be a liability on defense against some teams but hopefully we can scheme around that or just overcome it with offense.

Roleplayers EG, Okogie, Allen, Eubanks, Little, Goodwin, KBD, Metu have all been part of the rotation and seen good action, contributing in a lot of positive ways. EG's been a great addition and huge bargain, starting and filling in for Book and Beal. Okogie and Goodwin give us an edge on the perimeter with their hustle and defense. Allen's been rock solid filling in as a starter. Eubanks has been a perfect backup to Nurk. I think all those guys have lived up to, if not exceeded, expectations. I'd say Yuta and maybe KBD have been a little more disappointing but I still expect them to contribute more down the road.

I like that Vogel's experimented with lineups, sub patterns, matchups, playcalls, and managed everything while missing Book and Beal. He's always active on the sidelines, talking to coaches and players, calling good TOs, working the refs. There are times when the ball is really moving and the offense is flowing. The late game execution has been shaky early on and we lost a few games we shouldn't have so the record could be better. But I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now. If Beal, Book and KD are playing together in 2 months and we still can't break a press late in the game then my opinion might change.

Backup PG and PF could still be areas to address but I don't think they're glaring weaknesses. Even without Beal, we've managed with just Book well enough. A veteran 4 could go a long in cutting back on KD's minutes but not sure who could fill that role effectively in limited minutes. KBD or Metu might not be the answers there.
Great post

Pretty much my exact thoughts.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Wally_West wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:30 am

20 game check in on big dick Nurk
It’s gotten bigger of late it seems

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

I haven't had the chance to watch any games so far, partly because I am working insane hours and partly because I told myself I won't pay attention until the full team is in play. I feel much as Shabazz does -- the regular season doesn't really matter.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I'd give the team an affectionate B+. Bumpy at first, but I like that the team generally looks better every 4-5 more games they get to play together. And it's clear by now that many of our start-of-season struggles were just due to missing Booker. KD and Book have been phenomenal; you get the sense that you can win a title with these two guys lighting it up for 30+ every night. And almost all of our new players have met or exceeded expectations. Exceeded: Nurkic, Allen, Gordon, Goodwin, Eubanks. Met: Okogie, Little, Metu. Disappointed: Yuta, Beal, Bol. I feel like we have a playoff rotation of 8-9 guys we can count on. I think we're going to be a scary playoff team if we stay healthy. So I hope Coach doesn't play the guys too many minutes chasing wins. This team will be an "A" by season's end if things keep up the way they've been.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Disappointed in Bol? We’re getting exactly what I expected from him. Short of injuring somebody or getting mixed up in a scandal, it would be almost impossible for him to disappoint me.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:04 am
I'd give the team an affectionate B+. Bumpy at first, but I like that the team generally looks better every 4-5 more games they get to play together. And it's clear by now that many of our start-of-season struggles were just due to missing Booker. KD and Book have been phenomenal; you get the sense that you can win a title with these two guys lighting it up for 30+ every night. And almost all of our new players have met or exceeded expectations. Exceeded: Nurkic, Allen, Gordon, Goodwin, Eubanks. Met: Okogie, Little, Metu. Disappointed: Yuta, Beal, Bol. I feel like we have a playoff rotation of 8-9 guys we can count on. I think we're going to be a scary playoff team if we stay healthy. So I hope Coach doesn't play the guys too many minutes chasing wins. This team will be an "A" by season's end if things keep up the way they've been.
Diop?
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

So if you had to choose now, what’s your playoff rotation?

Mine:

Booker, Beal, Allen, KD, Nurk

EG, Little, Eubanks off the bench

Goodwin, Okogie, and KBD would be situational guys. Might need to throw one in for 6-7 minutes to guard a Curry, Fox, Luka, etc.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I mostly agree but I think that Goodwin has earned a rotation spot and not just situational minutes. I like Little, but I would swap between him and Okogie depending on whether we need more D or O for a given matchup. And I think I would play KBD regular rotation minutes, too.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:05 pm
I mostly agree but I think that Goodwin has earned a rotation spot and not just situational minutes. I like Little, but I would swap between him and Okogie depending on whether we need more D or O for a given matchup. And I think I would play KBD regular rotation minutes, too.
I don’t know that you have enough minutes in the playoffs for 10 regular rotation guys.

Book, KD, and Beal are probably playing close to 40 minutes a game in the playoffs. If Nurk, EG, and Grayson are playing 25. That’s 195 of 240 minutes…so you’ve got 45 minutes left between those 4…11 minutes each? More likely you’re gonna go 20 each for 2 guys and have 5 minutes left over. Though I can see more minutes freeing up if we go small and cut the Eubanks minutes.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I like Eubanks but I don't see him getting 20 minutes/game. You're right that we probably won't have 10 guys play every night. I do think Goodwin will be in the rotation, though.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:11 pm
I like Eubanks but I don't see him getting 20 minutes/game. You're right that we probably won't have 10 guys play every night. I do think Goodwin will be in the rotation, though.
I do like Goodwin…I think it’s possible…especially if he keeps hitting 3s at an acceptable rate…he just makes us small when we have to find minutes for 5 guards…we haven’t seen the rotation with Beal, Booker, EG, and Allen all healthy.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:11 pm
One of Nurkic and Eubanks will be in for 48 minutes most nights so that leave 28 for Nurk. Sounds about right.
"Be Legendary."