What does this team need most?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

A pass-first PG
24%
A PF/C
14%
Better bench depth
No votes
Health / recovery from injuries (e.g. Beal)
14%
Coaching change (fire Vogel)
19%
Time to "gel"
14%
Effort; play harder
14%

Total votes: 21

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This year's Suns team is obviously struggling. What single thing do they need most to get better?

Carno

Re: What does this team need most?

Post by Carno »

All of the above?

3TheHardaway

Post by 3TheHardaway »

Agree with Carno. I’m not sure one single thing fixes this team. I ended up going for PF/C, but I don’t mean someone to patrol the paint, but rather a big, versatile defender who can guard the large wings, bother bigs, and isn’t helpless when switched onto a guard.

We went from defensive versatility of Mikal who could readily guard 1-3 and Jae who initially was damn good against 2-4s.

The fact that the lakers acquired Vanderbilt for pennies on the dollar really stings. He’d be perfect.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

It's definitely a combination of several of those things and lack of defensive fortitude.

Carno

Post by Carno »

I don't disagree that the team needs a PG; I just don't see getting one of value without giving up someone of value (like Book, KD or Beal). My biggest frustration is that the team plays dumb. The stars just isolate and take contested 2s over and over and over again. Where is the ball movement? At this point, I have to feel it's a coaching problem, but it's hard to believe the players are being asked to play like this. I'm still hopeful that it all gets better when (if) Beal comes back.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Carno wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:35 am
I don't disagree that the team needs a PG; I just don't see getting one of value without giving up someone of value (like Book, KD or Beal). My biggest frustration is that the team plays dumb. The stars just isolate and take contested 2s over and over and over again. Where is the ball movement? At this point, I have to feel it's a coaching problem, but it's hard to believe the players are being asked to play like this. I'm still hopeful that it all gets better when (if) Beal comes back.
My biggest frustrations are the same. Lack of adherence to any offensive system and no improvement whatsoever on the defensive end of the floor on communication or rotations.

This is player executed, but coaching driven. The coaches are going to have to be held accountable here first. It’s not just a lack of execution- there’s flat out no identity on the floor.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think health and time to gel will be the most beneficial..this is a good team that has no business playing like they are…I do think a rotation level 4/5 is going to be needed if this team wants to actually contend.

PG would help when Beal and Booker are out, but I don’t think there’s a need if both are healthy and we aren’t winning anyways if both aren’t healthy.

Coaching is tbd for me. Hard to really know that, but the team is struggling right now so I think we’ll learn a lot on how Vogel handles this and gets us through this.

I do think effort is a problem. Mostly defensively. I think maybe playing with a sense of urgency might be a better way to phrase it, but they just often seem like their playing lackadaisical…lazy passes…not getting back in transition..walking it up, etc.

I see a lot of communication issues and I think that comes with time. I think we’d benefit from sticking with a set rotation for a bit to get people comfortable in the system…we’ve got a new defensive system and literally a whole new team learning our offensive system. That’s tough with people in and out of the lineup and playing different guys in the rotation each night.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:49 am
Carno wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:35 am
My biggest frustrations are the same. Lack of adherence to any offensive system and no improvement whatsoever on the defensive end of the floor on communication or rotations.

This is player executed, but coaching driven. The coaches are going to have to be held accountable here first. It’s not just a lack of execution- there’s flat out no identity on the floor.
Yeah, I was going to say the thing we need the most isn't on the list and these guys covered it pretty well. I guess closest thing to this is coaching change but I don't think that is necessary to fix some of these offensive and defensive issues. It's not always about looking outwardly for what one needs but often executing better with what you have.
"Be Legendary."

Democritus

Post by Democritus »

Vogel is the second coming of Terry Porter...Fire his ass a.s.a.p. and bring someone like M.D.
This team needs a running and gunning type of offensive scheme..
"We shall leave this world as foolish and as wicked as we found it on our arrival"-Voltaire

Cap

Post by Cap »

3TheHardaway wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:21 am
Agree with Carno. I’m not sure one single thing fixes this team. I ended up going for PF/C, but I don’t mean someone to patrol the paint, but rather a big, versatile defender who can guard the large wings, bother bigs, and isn’t helpless when switched onto a guard.
Sounds like Ayton from three years ago. What happened to that guy?

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

🤑🤑🤑

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:44 pm
3TheHardaway wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:21 am
Sounds like Ayton from three years ago. What happened to that guy?
Wrong thread.
"Be Legendary."

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Democritus wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:34 pm
Vogel is the second coming of Terry Porter...Fire his ass a.s.a.p. and bring someone like M.D.
This team needs a running and gunning type of offensive scheme..
As much as I'd love to see this team going flat out offensively, that style just doesn't produce championships. You have to play some D and therefore bringing in a coach who literally plays no defense at all feels like it'd be a step in the wrong direction with this roster.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Well I did see a stat the other day that shows the importance of defense has dropped. Elite offense is more correlated with playoff and championship success now. Used to be the other way around

rhylek

Post by rhylek »

Look at teams that are way better than last year, at least record-wise (Orlando, Indiana, Sacramento, OKC), they didn't add huge talent that helped them make the leap, they have continuity. We have a whole new roster, it's impossible to play very good basketball with so much new faces. I hope we peak come playoff time, but I'm afraid our team need a year together (which kinda sucks since Allen is a one-year rental and, I thought I'd never write that, I like him)

virtual9mm

Post by virtual9mm »

rhylek wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:15 pm
Look at teams that are way better than last year, at least record-wise (Orlando, Indiana, Sacramento, OKC), they didn't add huge talent that helped them make the leap, they have continuity. We have a whole new roster, it's impossible to play very good basketball with so much new faces. I hope we peak come playoff time, but I'm afraid our team need a year together (which kinda sucks since Allen is a one-year rental and, I thought I'd never write that, I like him)
Absolutely. With more complex offensive schemes, continuity becomes more important.

But the Suns needed a change and got one.

Sunsfanatic76

Post by Sunsfanatic76 »

What this team needs most?
I think this team needs a number of things, but the most important of those in order of imminent need are:

1- To get/ stay healthy!!
Although even when Beal comes back and if he can maintain his health and sactually play in games, He still won't help our defensive issues and will at best, only add to our scoring potency. I'm also worried about the durability of Durant, Booker and even Nurkic (given their injury history) as we've been very lucky to not have them be outfor any substantial periods of time so far. But going forward having played such heavy minutes early on, what happens when if one or more of those three do go down with injury??

2- A legit traditional playmaking guard/floor general
This is important so we can move Book back to his natural and more beneficial position. I understand that he's been really good at guard as the primary ballhandler. However, in doing this, we are forcing him to split his focus and energy on playmaking and setting up other players as opposed to getting himself into his lethal scoring groove/ rhythm. He's wearing himself out early on looking to pass and break down defenses 1st (before scoring) and as a result, he's wearing down and becoming less effective in the 2nd half of games and into the 4th quarter. this corrlation is well reflected in his reduced efficiency and lower PPP totals than when he was playing at the SG position. Having Book focus primarily on distribution and ball handling is actually limiting his best attribute in being a lethal scorer. He may still get his points, but at the detriment of his efficiency and the team having a very potent lateral gravity weapon, as that weapon is no longer as much of a threat to score when he's prioritizing passing first. Finally, this is only exacerbated by our vet min bench standing around watching expecting him to score first (ironically) as is the natural order of a superteam, so they're not comfortable yet being a more prominent option. Simplified roles are important here.

3- An uber athletic, long, high motor, aggressive 4/5
*** Also could really use some tough, physical, edgy smashmouth type intense enforcer players who'll hold other players accountable, fire up the team, and play solid, physical defense exhibiting that tenacity and killer instinct to put teams away (which we lack)!! But for the uber athletic shotblocking/ dunking/ rebounding physical 4/5, I have: Kai Jones, Nik Richards, Donta Hall, EJ Onu, Mouhamadou Gueye, Kostas Antetekoupo, maybe even consider Serge Ibaka?

*** The tough, physical, tenacious, edgy enforcer type defensive players (or lockdown defensive players we should try to trade for are: Alex Caruso, PJ Tucker, Dorian Finney Smith OR Royce Oneal, Dennis Smith Jr, DeAnthony Melton, Pat Bev, etc. mainly because BOTH Book and KD are quiet leaders that just aren't vocal and the type to call players out if needed! The solid defenders that we can simply sign to the vet min as unsigned free agents (currently) are:
PG- Kevin Porter Jr (Minimal risk/ HUGE Potential PAYOFF)!!, RJ Nembhard, Kris Dunn, Tyreke Evans, PJ Dozier, Shaq Harrison.
SG- Stanley Johnson, Lance Stephenson, Kent Bazemore, KZ Okpala, Deandre Bembry, Justice Winslow, Caleb McConnell, Marcus Garrett, Danny Green, Miye Oni.
SF- Noah Vonleh, Theo Pinson, Jarrell Brantley, Glenn Robinson 3rd, Feron Hunt, Justin Lewis, Tre Scott, Chris Smith, Zylan Cheatham.
PF- DeMarcus Cousins, Dwight Howard, Kai Jones, Nik Richards, Donta Hall, EJ Onu, Kostas Antetekoupo, Mouhamadou Gueye, Chris Silva, Vernon Carey Jr (for size and physicality)??, Wenyen Gabriel, Serge Ibaka perhaps?
C- Nerlens Noel, Norvelle Pelle, Makur Maker, Amidah Brimah, Kylor Kelly?

Sunsfanatic76

Post by Sunsfanatic76 »

TOO

Post by TOO »

Blah blah blah, stop playing like it's a pick-up game, maybe things will get better.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Carno wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:16 am
All of the above?
The fact that the vote is so divided probably points to this being the best answer.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.