Game Day: Mavericks (17-12) @ Suns (14-14), Mon 12/25/23

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Mori Chu

Re: Game Day: Mavericks (17-12) @ Suns (14-14), Mon 12/25/23

Post by Mori Chu »

I think the CP3 trade was the biggest mistake. His leadership is sorely needed this season. Even though he is diminished as a player, we need somebody who could run an offense and get in players' eats and hold them accountable.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

KD has looked like he's going half speed for a lot of games in December.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I knew my bet on the Mavs was golden when I heard Damian Lee say this to the crowd on the radio broadcast.

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:21 pm
I think the CP3 trade was the biggest mistake. His leadership is sorely needed this season. Even though he is diminished as a player, we need somebody who could run an offense and get in players' eats and hold them accountable.
Well they basically traded Paul for Goodwin at this point, so yeah, it's a pretty big mistake.

However, I am less optimistic about the overlapping skillsets between Booker, Beal, and Allen than I was in August because I thought Booker would be a lot more reliable controlling the offense.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Brutal.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Bradley Beal landed on DDV’s foot and the Suns still haven’t recovered.

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Looks like we never recovered from the In season tournament loss to the Lakers.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Kryptonic wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:20 pm
Not sure why they're chanting "DEFENSE"... everyone knows we don't play that.
Ball game.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Furlanfufi wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:21 pm
First time we look like a team in the last few games.
At least we had a few moments of what could be. Then just coasted to the loss. No defense.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Kryptonic wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:41 pm
Gladiator wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:40 pm
We would clearly have taken a one-point lead if you’d offered us that at half time. Real good test of the team in the last quarter - are they finally showing some grit, or did they just ride an outlier quarter for Allen and will now meekly surrender. Let’s hope they’ve found their mojo and deliver a signature win.
It's sad but I feel that same sentiment.... Like I know the let down is coming given how this seasons been so far.
At least we're no longer surprised and know what's coming now.

"Be Legendary."

Nodack

Post by Nodack »

I went to the game with a buddy who doesn’t watch basketball. My friend made the comment, “Don’t they ever turn the music off?” Steve Kerr was complaining about the music when the Warriors played and I thought he was just being difficult. I haven’t been to a Suns game this year until now and I have to say that I thought the music was very loud and they almost continuously played music during the game. It used to be loud music during time outs and lighter stuff or no music during the actual playing times. Not anymore. Now it’s just loud music almost all of the time unless they are doing announcements. Too much.

I told my friend they were going to lose before the game started and he thought I was just being pessimistic. I pointed to Donkic and said he’s their star and that we could have picked him in the draft but, instead we picked Ayton. He said where is Ayton? I said he didn’t pan out and we traded him for a guy who isn’t playing tonight. I guess the Mavs won that round.

I didn’t see all the stats yet but some things stuck out. Metu and Allen had killer games. By far their best games as Suns.

KD has been sort of a turn over machine this year. Dribbles Into traffic and loses the ball. Makes some pretty horrendous passes that end up in the hands of the enemy. Has he always been like this on other teams?

Booker has tried to be a PG and doesn’t even try to score early. I guess getting everyone else going first is the priority of a PG. Booker isn’t a traditional PG. He is known as a scorer and when our top scorer who the entire team is built around doesn’t even try to score in the first half it doesn’t bode well.

I don’t know how many turn overs they had but it was too many like always. Many unforced ones. They score plenty of points. They don’t seem to be able to get many stops. They need to play better D if they want to win any games. Vogel is supposed to be a defense guy. A brand new coaching staff to a team that has mostly new players and that team has a ton of injuries has made it a difficult situation for sure.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Furlanfufi wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:09 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:08 pm
Durant’s turnovers has been fucking ridiculous this season.
His defense is missing also.
He should be embarrassed after all that we gave to get him. What a let down.

"Be Legendary."

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Superbone wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 2:04 am
Furlanfufi wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:09 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:08 pm
Durant’s turnovers has been fucking ridiculous this season.
His defense is missing also.
He should be embarrassed after all that we gave to get him. What a let down.
I'm just about done with the guy at this point. He's an elite scorer who plays with no heart. I'm not a LeBron fan but to claim Durant is in the same league as him is laughable. LeBron is streets ahead in terms of leadership, heart and desire.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

In a world where we do make a recovery this season, I take some comfort in the fact that Metu may be turning into someone we can trust in a playoff setting - and at a position of need.

My current playoff trust rankings (if everyone is healthy):

Book
Durant
—-
Beal
Allen
—-
(shaky, but what choice do we have)
Nurk
EG
—-
(gets sketchy here)
Metu
Goodwin
—-
(do not trust)
Nas
KBD
D-Lee
—-
Okogie
Azubuike
Yuta
Drew
——
(now we’re desperate)
Bol
Saben & Theo

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Postgame Quotes and Videos
Spoiler: show/hide

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Furlanfufi wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:12 pm
Probably why the music is so loud in the arena…. To drowned them out. This team is an utter disappointment.

Where’s split to help us feel better and help talk us off the ledge?

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

TOO wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:19 pm
Well gents, I'm gonna go ahead and call this season over, there is no way to fix what ails this team. It's not gonna work, sucks because I had so much hope because of the potential. Vogel ain't shit, he is definitely not a leader, IDK about the highest paid assistant, wtf does he even do? This offense stinks. The leaders are soft, no heart, Booker wants to be talked about like the greats, but he constantly comes up short when the Suns need him most, KD, he can score, but he's not a leader, the rest is a bunch of minimum deals. I don't see it anymore, there is no vision here, Ishbia missed on this swing.

Feel free to throw this in my face if I'm wrong, but I'm not worried that I am.
Well if they’re gonna 💩 the bed this is the year to do it since we have our pick this year.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

There were flashes of good basketball but not enough to sustain anything meaningful. We still can't guard Luka, which is about the only consistent thing we have going. Metu had a career game and Allen got hot which let us stay close but we can't hold a lead because we don't do anything well. It all seems random.

Something's obviously off with the team. Agree with everyone about the body language, lack of hustle, sloppiness. KD looks almost checked out. Book is trying but you can see (and hear) the frustration. The players have to be better but it's getting hard not to start looking at the coaching staff. If KD and Book check out, not sure what the move is.

I thought we looked a bit better in the 3rd with our penetrate+kicks. The offense was working and the ball was swinging well. Always thought Metu was an undersized 5 rather than a PF. He looked much more comfortable there but the mistakes and lack of hustle were inexcusable. That's probably what you get with extended minutes. Maybe he just wasn't on the scouting report but we should see more minutes from him at the 5 to see what he can really offer.

We're not in the game without Allen, so nice to see him get hot. Hopefully it can carry over to more games.

AmareIsGod

Post by AmareIsGod »

Next year!
What is smallball? I play basketball. I'm not a regular big man. I can switch from the center to the guards. The game is evolving. I'd be dominAyton if the WNBA would let me in. - Ayton

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

AmareIsGod wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:10 am
Next year!
Ugh…. The only bright spot is we have our pick this year. I really bought into this being a magical year…. Their only hope is that they finally get it enough and click at the end of the year and other teams have stars with season ending injuries. Outside of that.. I predict we’ll be in the lottery.