Suns News: Week 13 (1/14/24 - 1/21/24)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
specialsauce

Re: Suns News: Week 13 (1/14/24 - 1/21/24)

Post by specialsauce »

Okay okay, Little, KBD and a second round pick for Miles Bridges. Who says no?

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:57 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:10 am
The Suns better not be considering trading Grayson Allen. He's playing so well, it would be colossally stupid to let him leave. The only reason you even consider it is if you think you can't get him to re-sign next year. And even then, you better be working on it, talking to him, convincing him to stay.
I’m only trading Allen if it gives us an equally impactful larger player at the 3/4 position. Who is that player? I don’t know.

I’d prefer to package Little, KBD, Watanabe and Ewbanks for Tyus Jones.
I would need someone like Bobby Portis to trade Grayson and I don’t even think that’s legal since Grayson just came from Milwaukee.

I don’t really have interest in Tyus Jones though. He’s good but we don’t need guards. We need size.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

specialsauce wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:
The Suns better not be considering trading Grayson Allen. He's playing so well, it would be colossally stupid to let him leave. The only reason you even consider it is if you think you can't get him to re-sign next year. And even then, you better be working on it, talking to him, convincing him to stay.
I’m only trading Allen if it gives us an equally impactful larger player at the 3/4 position. Who is that player? I don’t know.

I'd do that deal for sure. Not sure why they would take it, though. Jones is actually good, and those players other than Little are our bantha fodder trash.

Split T

Post by Split T »

How do you guys envision Tyus helping us? Whose minutes is he taking? Are you starting him over Grayson?

He does give us a 7th reliable player, but now we have 5 guards in our top 7. We’re either playing very small or you’re just taking Gordon and Allen minutes and giving them to Tyus…I don’t see how that helps us. We’d still have a huge whole in the front court with no reliable players off the bench. Not to mention you just traded away 4 of those front court bench players. Our depth chart would be:

Booker - Jones - Lee
Beal - Gordon - Goodwin
Allen - Okogie - Lee
Durant - Bol
Nurkic - Metu - Azubuike

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:42 am
specialsauce wrote:
Mori Chu wrote:

I'd do that deal for sure. Not sure why they would take it, though. Jones is actually good, and those players other than Little are our bantha fodder trash.
Jones is on an expiring, so they’ll lose him maybe anyway. They could get little on a good deal and a second round pick

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:53 am
How do you guys envision Tyus helping us? Whose minutes is he taking? Are you starting him over Grayson?

He does give us a 7th reliable player, but now we have 5 guards in our top 7. We’re either playing very small or you’re just taking Gordon and Allen minutes and giving them to Tyus…I don’t see how that helps us. We’d still have a huge whole in the front court with no reliable players off the bench. Not to mention you just traded away 4 of those front court bench players. Our depth chart would be:

Booker - Jones - Lee
Beal - Gordon - Goodwin
Allen - Okogie - Lee
Durant - Bol
Nurkic - Metu - Azubuike
On my end none of the players were sending out are rotation players, so who gives a shit. Jones should take EGs minutes and Okogies. He could play 20-25 mpg as the sixth man. It doesn’t solve the front court, but none of those losers included in the deal are the solution either

Split T

Post by Split T »

So you’re just replacing EG with Tyus? Perhaps an upgrade but what do we do with the frontcourt. You just got rid of our only trade assets. They may not be rotation players, but they were your only real avenue to trade. That’s the point when you’d have to do something like Grayson Allen for Dorian Finney-Smith just to balance the roster. I’d rather have Gordon and Allen than Tyus and Finney-Smith.

If we trade Little it needs to be for size on the wing. I’m not trading him for a guard. Or you better have something lined up with the TPE to bring in a front court player.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:14 am
So you’re just replacing EG with Tyus? Perhaps an upgrade but what do we do with the frontcourt. You just got rid of our only trade assets. They may not be rotation players, but they were your only real avenue to trade. That’s the point when you’d have to do something like Grayson Allen for Dorian Finney-Smith just to balance the roster. I’d rather have Gordon and Allen than Tyus and Finney-Smith.

If we trade Little it needs to be for size on the wing. I’m not trading him for a guard. Or you better have something lined up with the TPE to bring in a front court player.
Ok then Miles Bridges it is

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:

Booker - Jones - Lee
Beal - Gordon - Goodwin
Allen - Okogie - Lee
Durant - Bol
Nurkic - Metu - Azubuike
IMO the win is, with Tyus Jones we'd have an actually good bench backcourt of Jones + EG. Right now the bench has no ballhandling and nobody to initiate the offense.

Starters: Booker/Beal/Allen/KD/Nurk
Bench: Jones/Gordon/Okogie/Metu/(Azubuike or Bol)
Scraps: Goodwin, Lee, whoever else

Both starting and bench lineups are a bit weak at SF defense since Allen and Okogie are really SGs. But Okogie is a great defender and we do fine with Allen at starting SF most nights already.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:37 am
Split T wrote:

Booker - Jones - Lee
Beal - Gordon - Goodwin
Allen - Okogie - Lee
Durant - Bol
Nurkic - Metu - Azubuike
IMO the win is, with Tyus Jones we'd have an actually good bench backcourt of Jones + EG. Right now the bench has no ballhandling and nobody to initiate the offense.

Starters: Booker/Beal/Allen/KD/Nurk
Bench: Jones/Gordon/Okogie/Metu/(Azubuike or Bol)
Scraps: Goodwin, Lee, whoever else

Both starting and bench lineups are a bit weak at SF defense since Allen and Okogie are really SGs. But Okogie is a great defender and we do fine with Allen at starting SF most nights already.
We’re just very small. I’d rather just keep Book or Beal on the court at all times to pair with Gordon and use our contracts to bolster the front court. Tyus is good and I see the appeal in wanting him…I’d just rather go a different direction. It would look pretty good though if Beal or Book had a significant injury

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:36 am
Split T wrote:

I’ve heard him brought up a few times. I doubt we could get him and I hope we don’t…I would hate to have to cheer for him.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:59 am
specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:

I’ve heard him brought up a few times. I doubt we could get him and I hope we don’t…I would hate to have to cheer for him.
Umm, yeah. No thanks. Saucy, are you unfamiliar with his rap sheet? I wouldn't take him for free.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:23 pm
Split T wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:

Umm, yeah. No thanks. Saucy, are you unfamiliar with his rap sheet? I wouldn't take him for free.
I knew about his initial arrest, didn’t realize he got arrested a second time for throwing pool balls at her car while she and the kids were in it. Never mind.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:26 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Split T wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Split T wrote:

I knew about his initial arrest, didn’t realize he got arrested a second time for throwing pool balls at her car while she and the kids were in it. Never mind.
The initial arrest was enough. He laid a brutal beating on a woman. Not the kind of guy you want to bring in to your culture.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Shabazz wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:31 pm
specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:26 pm
Shabazz wrote:
Split T wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

The initial arrest was enough. He laid a brutal beating on a woman. Not the kind of guy you want to bring in to your culture.
People make mistakes, sometimes horrific. I don’t believe in cancel culture.

He went back a second time and that’s enough for me. Clearly hasn’t grown from it yet.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:03 am
Okay okay, Little, KBD and a second round pick for Miles Bridges. Who says no?
Me. And it has nothing to do with the trade fodder on our end.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I don't prescribe to the notion that we need a traditional point guard like most of you do. Having said that, McConnell is always very impressive when he gets playing time.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:02 pm
I don't prescribe to the notion that we need a traditional point guard like most of you do. Having said that, McConnell is always very impressive when he gets playing time.
We don’t necessarily need a PG, we just need a smarter guard. EG is a moron, I don’t want him on the court playing significant minutes in the playoffs

Split T

Post by Split T »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:02 pm
I think McConnell would be great as a regular season backup or emergency pg, but I just don’t want to give up our easiest avenue to add a wing player to bring him in. We’d have to trade Little to get him. If we can bring in say Saddiq Bey with the TPE, then sure go get McConnell with Little.

MightyMoog

Post by MightyMoog »

I’m think Otto Porter should be our main target.

Would be open to a Jevon Carter reunion or Monte Morris.