Suns News: Week 14 (1/22/24 - 1/28/24)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Wally_West

Re: Suns News: Week 14 (1/22/24 - 1/28/24)

Post by Wally_West »

Who gives a shit if Nick Richards is outplaying and starting over Nurk in the playoffs??? Why would that be funny?

Nurk has been really solid so if Richards is outplaying then that’s win for us. Center rotation is good to go.

If Nurk is dog shit then thank god we traded for Richards, good thing Nurk isnt getting paid the max! lol

It would be pretty embarrassing if our starting center, who is getting paid 30 million plus, is getting outplayed by some dude with the fraction of his salary…WAIT!? That’s what happened to us last year with Landale playing over Ayton in crunch time.

If we want to make this a Nurk vs Ayton trade thing, just remember the real prize of that trade was Grayson Allen, who’s been a fuckin steal. If we wanted to trade Ayton for Allen now, we would have to add 1st round picks to get it done.

The Ayton Trade was an absolute home by every metric.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Wally_West wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:57 pm
Who gives a shit if Nick Richards is outplaying and starting over Nurk in the playoffs??? Why would that be funny?

Nurk has been really solid so if Richards is outplaying then that’s win for us. Center rotation is good to go.

If Nurk is dog shit then thank god we traded for Richards, good thing Nurk isnt getting paid the max! lol

It would be pretty embarrassing if our starting center, who is getting paid 30 million plus, is getting outplayed by some dude with the fraction of his salary…WAIT!? That’s what happened to us last year with Landale playing over Ayton in crunch time.

If we want to make this a Nurk vs Ayton trade thing, just remember the real prize of that trade was Grayson Allen, who’s been a fuckin steal. If we wanted to trade Ayton for Allen now, we would have to add 1st round picks to get it done.

This is it in a nutshell. If you want to talk about starting centers being outplayed by their backups, look at last season. Jock Landale and Biz would often outplay you-know-who for 1/10 the price. I don't think any bench center has outplayed Nurk consistently this season, and I doubt Richards would, either. But even if Richards did play well or better than Nurk some of the time, that wouldn't be a bad thing. Nurk has played very well; having a second center ALSO play well is good, not bad. Unless you are trying to root for the Suns' current centers to fail, just to prove a point about how much you liked the last Suns starting center. But nobody here would do that...!

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I’m supportive of upgrading the backup center spot because the non-Nurk minutes have actually been our most dicey.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Yep, two strong centers is better than one.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

You know the Ayton apologists are down bad when all they can do is point to another player's faults to deflect from their guys own shortcomings.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Shabazz wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:24 pm
I’m supportive of upgrading the backup center spot because the non-Nurk minutes have actually been our most dicey.
It would be a consolation move to me if acquiring a bigger wing isn't possible.

Nic Richards isn't closing and we'd still be in the same spot of relying on smaller guys Beal/Gordon/Allen to defend up.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

JeremyG wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:06 pm
It’s gonna be pretty funny if Richards is our starting center in the playoffs and “Better Fit Nurk” gets benched.
You realize you’re trying to talk shit about our best +\- player right?

Lmao

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:20 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:57 pm

This is it in a nutshell. If you want to talk about starting centers being outplayed by their backups, look at last season. Jock Landale and Biz would often outplay you-know-who for 1/10 the price. I don't think any bench center has outplayed Nurk consistently this season, and I doubt Richards would, either. But even if Richards did play well or better than Nurk some of the time, that wouldn't be a bad thing. Nurk has played very well; having a second center ALSO play well is good, not bad. Unless you are trying to root for the Suns' current centers to fail, just to prove a point about how much you liked the last Suns starting center. But nobody here would do that...!
Yeah we did so well in Game 6 with Jock Landale starting.

I wasn’t talking about Nurk losing his starting job in the regular season, I was talking about Richards being a more mobile option for the playoffs.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Jock had a positive +/- in game 6…it was the Biyombo minutes that were the problem in that one.

JeremyG

Post by JeremyG »

I’m old enough to remember when you all used to claim that +/- was a useless stat.
"I'm a Deandre Ayton guy."--Al McCoy, September 21, 2022.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Well when you’re trying to claim someone is the reason we lost, I think it’s relevant.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

I think it's easy to understand. Like in boxing, styles make fights. There are some matchups that Nurk does very well against, and others that it's better to have Eubanks out there for. There are only a handful of centers in this league that are good against every team(Jokic & Embiid). Other than that, it just depends sometimes on how the other team is playing you and how you need to play against them. Nurks not perfect, and no one ever said he was. He gives what he has, which is all you can ask, and that's pretty good a lot of times.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Split T

Post by Split T »

I didn’t watch the game, but Nurk also might’ve been tired. Indy makes you run. He was very good against Chicago last time.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I thought during the game that he looked tired and considered if the Suns should start giving him more nights off in the next couple of months. That's one area I underrated about a potential trade to acquire a big instead of a wing.

Split T

Post by Split T »

It would be huge if Eubanks could step up and take some of that load

Split T

Post by Split T »

I hate that this is a thing…I don’t want him on the team, but I have to admit that strictly on the court it’s a best case scenario for us. He’s exactly what we need and someone who’d never be available to us if not for his terrible actions.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'd still rather have PJ Washington. Always liked him better of the two.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:33 am

I hate that this is a thing…I don’t want him on the team, but I have to admit that strictly on the court it’s a best case scenario for us. He’s exactly what we need and someone who’d never be available to us if not for his terrible actions.
Not found. I’m assuming you’re referencing Bridges. Yup, basketball wise he’d fit in perfect

Split T

Post by Split T »

Weird…I guess the tweet got deleted…but yes it was about Bridges. Said the suns are interested.