Suns News: Week 14 (1/22/24 - 1/28/24)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
TOO

Re: Suns News: Week 14 (1/22/24 - 1/28/24)

Post by TOO »

Like him, hate him, he's gonna be a very large addition to this team, probably pushing Allen to the bench in favor of his athleticism and ability to defend bigger players.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Gerald is just Flex now…don’t think that’s very reliable

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

If it happens I'm just gonna blame Isiah. But it's a really bad look for the org, the kind of stench that hangs around. No one cares now because the Hornets are irrelevant. But every national game, every playoff game it'll be on everyone's minds and talked about by even casual fans.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

How long till the poll is started?

Split T

Post by Split T »

TOO wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:19 pm
Like him, hate him, he's gonna be a very large addition to this team, probably pushing Allen to the bench in favor of his athleticism and ability to defend bigger players.
I don’t think I’d mess with the starting lineup. I’d bring Bridges off the bench…

(Really I’d leave him in Charlotte or let some other team play him. Give me Royce).

Split T

Post by Split T »

ShelC wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:20 pm
If it happens I'm just gonna blame Isiah. But it's a really bad look for the org, the kind of stench that hangs around. No one cares now because the Hornets are irrelevant. But every national game, every playoff game it'll be on everyone's minds and talked about by even casual fans.
Ya I don’t think it’s worth it. Even if we win, we’d have to always remember we won partially because we traded for an abuser.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:21 pm
TOO wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:19 pm
I don’t think I’d mess with the starting lineup. I’d bring Bridges off the bench…

(Really I’d leave him in Charlotte or let some other team play him. Give me Royce).
Id definitely start him, having him to cover all the wings in the west would be much more useful than Allen imo.

Now I'd rather not acquire him based on his personal issues, but if they get him on the cheap and it wins a title, I'll be just peachy. Won't root for the guy, still gonna celebrate if they win though.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Split T wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:23 pm
ShelC wrote:
Ya I don’t think it’s worth it. Even if we win, we’d have to always remember we won partially because we traded for an abuser.
It’s doubly stinky because we just got through the Sarver stuff. I guarantee there would be an uproar about it from certain groups. It would be totally hypocritical to pay all the lip service that Ishbia did to creating a new culture and then bringing in someone like Bridges (or Isiah to the FO, for that matter).

A few years back my favorite hockey team drafted a player who had been charged with taking pictures of a girl engaged in an act with him without her consent and showing them to teammates. They were raked through the coals for it and had to do a whole PR-apology tour. It was a factor in the GM losing his job. People were pretty dumbfounded about how they just totally misread and underestimated the potential public response. A lot of parallels here, I think.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

https://gophnx.com/phoenix-suns-trade-r ... ce-oneale/

read the article here are some interesting nuggets
The question is whether Phoenix is ready to be burned by the inevitable PR nightmare that comes with trading for a player who’s been charged with felony domestic violence and child abuse.

A source close to the situation described the Suns as feeling very confident they’d be able to get a deal for Bridges across the finish line. Financially speaking, Bridges’ $7.9 million contract would be easy to match by sending Charlotte a combination of Nassir Little’s $6.3 million salary and a veteran minimum player like Chimezie Metu ($2.3 million), Yuta Watanabe ($2.3 million) or Bol Bol ($2.2 million).

Considering the Suns have Kevin Durant, Devin Booker and Bradley Beal, as well as a need for wings who can play the 3 and the 4, it’s not surprising Phoenix would be one of Bridges’ desired landing spots. There is mutual interest there, but the Suns are concurrently pursuing other deals.

The reason for this is twofold: Phoenix is undoubtedly cognizant of the significant blowback they’d receive if they traded for Bridges, and they’re currently riding high on a seven-game win streak. The Suns are figuring things out, and they can avoid alienating half the fanbase by pursuing other deals elsewhere first, rather than trading for such a contentious presence who would significantly alter the discourse and mood around the organization.

In other words, the urgency to make a move for Bridges isn’t as significant while the team is stringing together wins and there are other options on the table to consider.

In terms of alternative options Phoenix could pursue before falling back on a Miles Bridges trade, Royce O’Neale is a significant one. A source told PHNX Sports that, while the Brooklyn Nets’ asking price for Dorian Finney-Smith is too high, O’Neale could be a more realistic option.

In terms of what it’d take to trade for him, O’Neale’s $9.5 million salary would require Little ($6.2 million) and two veteran minimum players. The only vet minimum contracts that would work in combination with Little straight-up are Eric Gordon ($3.2 million), Josh Okogie ($2.8 million) or Damion Lee ($2.5 million), but Gordon isn’t going anywhere in this type of deal, and both Okogie and Lee have veto rights on any trade.

That leaves Little, maybe a couple of second-round picks (the Suns have five to offer), and two of the following vet minimum guys: Watanabe ($2.3 million), Bol ($2.2 million), Metu ($2.3 million) Keita Bates-Diop ($2.3 million), Drew Eubanks ($2.3 million) or Jordan Goodwin ($1.9 million). Eubanks feels unlikely unless the Suns make a separate move for the type of backup center who would make him expendable.
Says we still have interest in Nick Richards but unlikely we can get him and bridges in a deal.

We been in contact with Biz, and depending how the trade deadline goes, he might be signed.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

ShelC wrote:
How is it that Giddey gets booed every time he touches the ball by opposing fans but Bridges doesn't?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The reason for this is twofold: Phoenix is undoubtedly cognizant of the significant blowback they’d receive if they traded for Bridges, and they’re currently riding high on a seven-game win streak. The Suns are figuring things out, and they can avoid alienating half the fanbase by pursuing other deals elsewhere first, rather than trading for such a contentious presence who would significantly alter the discourse and mood around the organization.
Brings new meaning to a "must win" game tonight.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Cap

Post by Cap »

Is Miles Bridges the kind of fucked up you just can’t fix, or is there hope for him?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Cap wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:45 pm
Is Miles Bridges the kind of fucked up you just can’t fix, or is there hope for him?
Who knows. That’s up to him.

"Be Legendary."

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:02 pm
Cap wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:45 pm
Who knows. That’s up to him.
Use him to win a championship

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

Split T wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Nah, people will get out of their feelings and forget about an individual and just remember the rest of the team and winning a championship.

Split T

Post by Split T »

specialsauce wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:30 pm
Split T wrote:
ShelC wrote:
Nah, people will get out of their feelings and forget about an individual and just remember the rest of the team and winning a championship.
Yes I think most will, I’m talking about how I’ll personally feel

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

ShelC wrote:
Know who won't talk about it? His teammates or anyone in the organization.

Not saying it's right, but those are the only people who matter when it comes to winning basketball games.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Miles Bridges is/was a POS.

He's passed through several levels of authority who've not prevented him from being in the NBA, so why am I going to be overly worked up as the morality police? Regardless of where he ends up, I'm not going to hold it against someone for being happy their team is winning with Miles Bridges contributing.

If someone wants to say that his status and wealth are the reason he's not incarcerated, then I'd ask them in which reality they exist where that isn't the norm.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:33 pm
Miles Bridges is/was a POS.

He's passed through several levels of authority who've not prevented him from being in the NBA, so why am I going to be overly worked up as the morality police? Regardless of where he ends up, I'm not going to hold it against someone for being happy their team is winning with Miles Bridges contributing.

If someone wants to say that his status and wealth are the reason he's not incarcerated, then I'd ask them in which reality they exist where that isn't the norm.
I think you’re fine to view it that way…it’s also fine to feel gross about it