Around the NBA: Week 16 (2/5/24 - 2/11/24)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
TOO

Re: Around the NBA: Week 16 (2/5/24 - 2/11/24)

Post by TOO »

Wally_West wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:12 pm

Could the sixers waive Cam Payne?
It's almost like they knew this was gonna happen.
Jones and Vogel out, Lue or Lee in, draft Grant Nelson or Tyler Kolek.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:55 pm
I miss Kal
Jones and Vogel out, Lue or Lee in, draft Grant Nelson or Tyler Kolek.

Carno

Post by Carno »

Wally_West wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:05 pm

????
He traveled on the backboard pass.

I know it is never called, but lifting the pivot foot before the ball is released is a travel. It gives a huge advantage to the ball handler to be able to lift the pivot foot and jump off the forward leg to propel themselves forward rather than having to jump off both feet.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

The ref calls will have to "evolve" as well, I guess.
"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

You actually can lift your pivot foot to pass or shoot…can’t lift it to dribble, but not a travel in this situation.

Carno

Post by Carno »

Split T wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:45 pm
You actually can lift your pivot foot to pass or shoot…can’t lift it to dribble, but not a travel in this situation.
Don't care. It's a travel. I've heard you (or maybe it was someone else) say that before, and I would have to read the rules to verify the wording actually says that. Of course, you have to lift your pivot foot to jump (off both feet) into a pass or shot, but that is not what happens here. He takes a step, lifts the pivot foot, then jumps off the other leg. If the rules somehow allow that to happen, then they are wrong. Just my opinion.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Carno wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:56 pm
Split T wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:45 pm
Don't care. It's a travel. I've heard you (or maybe it was someone else) say that before, and I would have to read the rules to verify the wording actually says that. Of course, you have to lift your pivot foot to jump (off both feet) into a pass or shot, but that is not what happens here. He takes a step, lifts the pivot foot, then jumps off the other leg. If the rules somehow allow that to happen, then they are wrong. Just my opinion.
Well you thinking it should be a travel is different than it actually being a travel.
In starting a dribble after (1) receiving the ball while standing still, or (2) coming to a legal stop, the ball must be out of the player’s hand before the pivot foot is raised off the floor.
If a player, with the ball in his possession, raises his pivot foot off the floor, he must pass or shoot before his pivot foot returns to the floor. If he drops the ball while in the air, he may not be the first to touch the ball.
By the rules it’s not a travel.

Carno

Post by Carno »

I'll concede the rules are written to allow it. I still say it is wrong. By that definition, a player, from a standstill could jump off two feet, land on his non-pivot foot, jump again off that foot, and continue to hop indefinitely on his non-pivot foot across the entire court as long as his pivot foot doesn't touch the floor.

But more realistically, what keeps Haliburton from continuing to move forward toward a full stride? Someone like Wemby could cover like 12 feet from a standstill under that interpretation.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Carno wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:03 am
I'll concede the rules are written to allow it. I still say it is wrong. By that definition, a player, from a standstill could jump off two feet, land on his non-pivot foot, jump again off that foot, and continue to hop indefinitely on his non-pivot foot across the entire court as long as his pivot foot doesn't touch the floor.

But more realistically, what keeps Haliburton from continuing to move forward toward a full stride? Someone like Wemby could cover like 12 feet from a standstill under that interpretation.
They definitely can’t do what you described…I didn’t post all the traveling rules.

Carno

Post by Carno »

I looked them up. I didn't see where it restricts it.

This is the only other relevant sections that I could find:

https://official.nba.com/rule-no-10-vio ... penalties/

Section XIII—Traveling
d. If a player, with the ball in his possession, raises his pivot foot off the floor, he must pass or shoot before his pivot foot returns to the floor. If he drops the ball while in the air, he may not be the first to touch the ball.

Section VIII—Pivot
b. If the player wishes to dribble after a pivot, the ball must be out of his hand before
the pivot foot is raised off the floor. If the player raises his pivot off the floor, he must pass or
attempt a field goal before the foot is returned to the floor.

I mean, clearly you can't hop around the court, despite what the rules say. Which drives my point, its left open to interpretation. I don't think it makes sense to allow a player to gain this advantage, which I feel is significant. For example, this happens a lot on up and under moves where the pivot is lifted while the shooter extends to the basket to get increase separation from a defender. I don't believe that should be permitted.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think this is the rule that would make it illegal:

Upon ending his dribble or gaining control of the ball, a player may not touch the floor consecutively with the same foot (hop).

Carno

Post by Carno »

Touche. I did read that earlier, but at the time only registered the case where the feet are shuffled. And it doesn't counter my argument that someone could propel forward by a full stride.

I'm not going to concede my point though that this move shouldn't be allowed.
Last edited by Carno on Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Carno wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:53 am
Touche. I did read that earlier, but at the time only registered the case where the feet are shuffled. I'm not going to concede my point thought that it shouldn't be allowed.
Haha fair…there are definitely a few rules that allow things I think should be illegal