NBA TRADE DEADLINE 2024

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Wally_West

Re: NBA TRADE DEADLINE 2024

Post by Wally_West »

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

specialsauce wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:33 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:29 pm
Roddy is better than Ish.
You must be thinking of Wainright
LOL my bad.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Wally_West wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:56 pm
Who’s better, Ish Smith or Delon Wright?
I’d rather have Delon

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Thad and Killian for me, but I’d be ok with Cedi, Muscala too.

Delon looked really slow and old when we played Washington.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I’ll be surprised if the Suns sign Hayes. I don’t think they’d take on a guy who can’t shoot and Hayes should probably go somewhere he’s more likely to get regular minutes.

I’d like Cedi and someone who can ideally rebound next to KD in the small lineup.

Furkan Korkmaz is also intriguing to me.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya doubt we’d go Hayes as well. He’ll probably go to a team like the Spurs

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I'd go with Thad and another big, probably Biz. We need some more size and beef in the frontcourt. I think Thad can still match up defensively with some tweener forwards. Seth Curry might be a decent insurance guard. Always liked Holmes but we got rid of him as soon as Jones took over. Gallo and Muscala would add perimeter shooting but not much defensively.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Only team that increased our luxury tax payments

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Anyone who complains about the moves the Suns make is a fake fan. We've waited decades for someone to be as financially committed as Mat Ishbia.

If someone wants to say he spent his money unwisely, OK. Tell us your bank balance.

I'm content with knowing that the result won't be a championship if that's where we end up, but I'm elated that someone gives a fuck enough to go for it.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:41 am
Anyone who complains about the moves the Suns make is a fake fan. We've waited decades for someone to be as financially committed as Mat Ishbia.

If someone wants to say he spent his money unwisely, OK. Tell us your bank balance.

I'm content with knowing that the result won't be a championship if that's where we end up, but I'm elated that someone gives a fuck enough to go for it.
Totally agree... At least we have an owner who's investing in the team, the fans and the legacy of the franchise.

Funny enough I was thinking someone would be putting together a first year report card poll/thread for Ishbia.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

What I want to see in the coming years is how much Ishbia continues to spend. A lot of owners tend to spend early when they buy the team - they think spending on high priced players equals success or they want to make splash a around the league or curry favor with fans - but then when the bill comes in they realize it's not sustainable. Dolan did it, Cuban did it, Prokhorov did it, Sarver spent money that first offseason and then tightened the belt. Nearly every sports team loses money. Obviously depends on the level of wealth of the owner - Ballmer probably isn't affected by any of the spending the Clips do but Ishbia isn't on that level. Our window for a title is now, so Ishbia is willing to spend which is the smart thing. What's it going to look like 3 years from now?

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:

I think this kind of phrasing misstates the argument made by the folks who want more cautious spending. I don't think anybody here gives a flying fart what Ishbia's bank balance is, or how much money he makes / loses on his Suns investment. To me it's about two things:

1) Asset management. If we go "all in" by trading away a decade's worth of draft picks, and blowing out the cap / tax apron so much that we have a $60m luxury payment every year, it makes it harder for us to have sustained long-term success. We won't have any picks to improve the team once our stars age out, and we won't have assets to use in trades to make necessary improvements.

2) Long-term solvency. Ishbia is a wealthy guy, but he can't just eat a $60m luxury tax penalty every year for the rest of his life. At that rate he'll end up eventually running out of money and needing to sell the team, or, swing hard in the other direction and become a cheapskate owner. If his means are finite, I'd rather he be a bit more prudent now so that he can be solvent enough to own the team for a long time. I like Ishbia as owner and want him here for a long time. I don't want the Suns sold to another Sarver, or some group from outside AZ that tries to move the team.

Having said all that, I am -not- arguing against any of the particular moves we have made recently. I think it's great that we brought in Royce O'Neale. I'm just trying to state the argument as best I understand it.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Kryptonic wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:55 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Totally agree... At least we have an owner who's investing in the team, the fans and the legacy of the franchise.

Funny enough I was thinking someone would be putting together a first year report card poll/thread for Ishbia.
They did a piece on his first year with the Suns on the broadcast last night. I had a huge smile on my face through it. It was amazing what he's done in one year. What a turnaround from the last guy. He swung for the fences with Durant. He swung the Bradley Beal deal. He started a new state of the art training facility for the Mercury. He reimagined the Ring of Honor and restored camaraderie with our legends of the past. He's even going all in on the Mercury trading for 2021 WNBA Finals MVP Kahleah Copper. Oh, yeah, and the whole free TV deal for the Valley. I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff. He's been an amazing owner and a huge turnaround for Valley basketball.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

Superbone wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:19 pm
Kryptonic wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:55 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

They did a piece on his first year with the Suns on the broadcast last night. I had a huge smile on my face through it. It was amazing what he's done in one year. What a turnaround from the last guy. He swung for the fences with Durant. He swung the Bradley Beal deal. He started a new state of the art training facility for the Mercury. He reimagined the Ring of Honor and restored camaraderie with our legends of the past. He's even going all in on the Mercury trading for 2021 WNBA Finals MVP Kahleah Copper. Oh, yeah, and the whole free TV deal for the Valley. I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff. He's been an amazing owner and a huge turnaround for Valley basketball.
Yea, those were all of the things I was thinking of too... Plus the free rabbit ears! Don't forget the free rabbit ears :P

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Hmmm ?
Tsk lol

Funny if true but just sorry they got a good player
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

He’s not good enough to justify the headache of dealing with his BS.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Mori Chu wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:25 am
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

I think this kind of phrasing misstates the argument made by the folks who want more cautious spending. I don't think anybody here gives a flying fart what Ishbia's bank balance is, or how much money he makes / loses on his Suns investment. To me it's about two things:

1) Asset management. If we go "all in" by trading away a decade's worth of draft picks, and blowing out the cap / tax apron so much that we have a $60m luxury payment every year, it makes it harder for us to have sustained long-term success. We won't have any picks to improve the team once our stars age out, and we won't have assets to use in trades to make necessary improvements.

2) Long-term solvency. Ishbia is a wealthy guy, but he can't just eat a $60m luxury tax penalty every year for the rest of his life. At that rate he'll end up eventually running out of money and needing to sell the team, or, swing hard in the other direction and become a cheapskate owner. If his means are finite, I'd rather he be a bit more prudent now so that he can be solvent enough to own the team for a long time. I like Ishbia as owner and want him here for a long time. I don't want the Suns sold to another Sarver, or some group from outside AZ that tries to move the team.

Having said all that, I am -not- arguing against any of the particular moves we have made recently. I think it's great that we brought in Royce O'Neale. I'm just trying to state the argument as best I understand it.
The thing about that is no one making that argument is in the Suns front office with knowledge of their long term plans.

I’m not saying everyone should love every single move and blindly buy in, just have the awareness that most owners would rather not win an NBA title as long as they increased their bottom line.

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

The Suns still have two open roster spots. Some possible buyout candidates that the Suns are eligible to sign:

Danuel House Jr.
Killian Hayes
Otto Porter Jr.
Danilo Gallinari
Thad Young
Jock Landale
Bismack Biyombo
Cedi Osman
Seth Curry
Richaun Holmes
Delon Wright
Mike Muscala
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Split T

Post by Split T »

Sounds like suns are just going to wait and see what happens…not gonna rush to sign anyone…though I wish we’d sign Thad

Split T

Post by Split T »

We also save money by not filling those two roster spots right away.