Around the NBA: Week 17 (2/12/24 - 2/18/24)

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Kryptonic

Re: Around the NBA: Week 17 (2/12/24 - 2/18/24)

Post by Kryptonic »

100% agree…. Haven’t watched one in years because nobody worth a crap does the dunk contest, and the all star game isn’t competitive at all and loath the popularity contest it is instead of the best players.

Didn’t even watch yesterday’s and reading the headlines…. People aren’t too thrilled. 😞

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Every year people complain about the quality of the All-Star game but I felt like this year there was a lot more disgust online from the bigger accounts I follow, some of which are NBA reporters/beat writers. I don't think it's an age thing where older fans don't like it and younger fans are into it. I think it's definitely about the quality of the game where no one likes watching what the actual game has become. If the players really played hard against each other, EVERYONE would watch and the NBA would get the get the ratings and engagement it says it wants. Used to be they dicked around for 3 quarters and then played hard for the 4th quarter and you got to see some real competition, but even that's gone out the window. We know the players are too friendly and too worried about injury to really play hard in an exhibition like this. LeBron basically blew off the entire weekend and only showed up on Sunday.

All-Star weekend is about corporate sponsors and, I guess, trying to attract younger casual fans who can provide the metrics the NBA is looking for in terms of social engagement. It's about numbers and data to give to sponsors and potential sponsors for more money next year - so streamers like Kai Cenat and his 20million followers are front and center. It's definitely not about actual hardcore basketball/NBA fans.

The only thing fun about All-Star Weekend that I think everyone enjoys is the 3pt shootout. The bigger names are willing to participate, there's real competition and drama involved with the contest. The Skills Competition is a mess and the celebrity game doesn't have any celebrities. The Dunk contest needs to be scrapped altogether.

I wonder if down the road there's going to be some evolution of the in-season tournament that will get moved closer to mid-season with all the teams participating in one location over a few weeks and one designated "All-Star Weekend" while everyone's in town. You won't get the best players playing with/against each other, but you'll have competitive basketball games in a Bubble-type tournament.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

This clip is making the rounds. Silver sounds like a disappointed dad addressing the Eastern Conference team at the 25 second mark. I think with all the talk about competition, he expected the guys to play harder and they blew it off. The league and players have a good relationship but it's gotta be a two-way street and Silver probably feels let down. The older guys don't want to risk injury and the younger guys are paid and don't care. That can't fly if you're Adam Silver.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

bajanguy008 wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:39 pm
This is easily my fave online community

Saying all that to say.....
Fact there isn't even an All Star Weekend thread speaks volumes
You're right bajan; we should have made an All-Star Weekend thread. It's my fault; I have been super busy this weekend with the baby and my other numerous children. I was watching most of the events but honestly didn't find any of it very entertaining. The 3-point shootout (and the Steph/Sabrina faceoff) were the only really good parts. The celebrity game was a joke; the Skills challenge seems to be a completely new event every year and is boring and lame anyway; the dunk contest feels like everything has been done, and the judging is extremely sketchy, and a bunch of nobodies compete in it; and the All-Star game itself, as many have said, is just a joke. The players just jog up the court and put up uncontested near-half-court 3s or alley-oops. It doesn't even remotely resemble a game of NBA basketball. I don't see why I should invest any energy in it if the players don't give a shit.

I don't know if it is fixable. Would it be more competitive if you paid the winning team $1m / player? I don't know. But right now the players lay it up so they don't get injured. I don't blame them; why should they try? What incentive do they have? Respect for the game, or something nebulous like that?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

Split T

Post by Split T »

I think the game is fine if you don’t watch it expecting it to be competitive. I would love it to be a competitive game, but it hasn’t been in decades. I had it on in the background and was able to find some entertainment out of it. Haliburton hitting 5 3s in 1:30 of game time was fun. So was Luka getting stuffed by the rim on his alley-oop to himself attempt. I enjoyed Dame just casually pulling up from half-court and drilling it with ease.

I personally think they should get more gimmicky…have 4 and 5 point shots. If you force a turnover, that next possession is worth double the points, etc. Just stop trying to make it even resemble a regular game.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mori Chu wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:39 am
bajanguy008 wrote:

You're right bajan; we should have made an All-Star Weekend thread. It's my fault
Wow, you read BG's post much differently than me. I don't think he was clamoring for an all-star thread. Just a commentary on how the weekend event is losing interest. Spend time with your kids, Marty!
"Be Legendary."

Furlanfufi

Post by Furlanfufi »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:25 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
bajanguy008 wrote:

You're right bajan; we should have made an All-Star Weekend thread. It's my fault
Wow, you read BG's post much differently than me. I don't think he was clamoring for an all-star thread. Just a commentary on how the weekend event is losing interest. Spend time with your kids, Marty!
I read the same way... no need for a thread worse than Ayton's.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Mori Chu wrote:
bajanguy008 wrote:

You're right bajan; we should have made an All-Star Weekend thread. It's my fault; I have been super busy this weekend with the baby and my other numerous children.
It's not your fault. Anyone could've done it but chose not to because there was nothing interesting to discuss and we already have plenty of places to complain.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

I was surprised too, but it has turned into such a meaningless event. I can’t remember the last NBA all-star game I watched. It’s been at least a decade.

Vladimir_Taltos

Post by Vladimir_Taltos »

Not sure how true this is, but one rumor seems to be Daniel House to the Suns for our last spot...he appears to be a buy out by the Pistons, thus becoming available...

Daniel House Stats: https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... eda01.html

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Hmm, seems like Dane may have forgotten somebody on his dream lineup. Maybe a certain teammate of his? Even if he doesn't really think Giannis should be on the team, how do you not shout out your best teammate like that? Ouch.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Superbone wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:25 pm
Mori Chu wrote:
bajanguy008 wrote:

That makes sense. My read of it was, even though it was an awful All-Star weekend, we still should have had a thread to complain about it and mock it. So I took it more personally that I failed to initiate that.

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Yeah "Mori"
Definitely what the others said and All Star Weekend or Your Kids is super easy decision which requires no explanation or apology 8-)
SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

bajanguy008

Post by bajanguy008 »

Wow and Yikes......

SUNS Fan from the Land of Sun, Sea and Sand ;)

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Vaughn was put in a no-win situation with the task of trying to redeem production out of Ben Simmons. Maybe he told management that he'd be able to do it to save his job in the first place.

Anyway, the Nets are in full rebuild mode with a great second guy in Mikal. They'll have cap space and plenty of trade assets to take another shot at being a contender relatively soon and it's probably best to get the right coach in for that longer term plan.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mikal does not like it there and the fans don’t like him. It’s sad. He deserves better. I still kinda want him to stay there until 2026 though so he’ll come sign with us in free agency.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

The fans don't like him? I've not seen any of that besides some trolls.

Maybe some had false expectations after a great start after the trade last season, but I don't think anyone who really follows the league thought he could be a first option guy. The last thing they should do is alienate one of the nicest and hardest working players in the whole league.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:11 pm
Mikal does not like it there and the fans don’t like him. It’s sad. He deserves better. I still kinda want him to stay there until 2026 though so he’ll come sign with us in free agency.
What?! The fans there don’t like him? First I’ve heard of that.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."