Amare Stoudemire's Ring of Honor Ceremony

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Amare Stoudemire's Ring of Honor Ceremony

Post by Superbone »

Please post all Amare ROH content here. Amare was a very special player in his time here.

Note: Check out his last name misspelling in the YouTube title. SMH.
"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Re: Amare Stoudemire's Ring of Honor Ceremony

Post by Mori Chu »

You don't know what you've got until it's gone. I knew Amare was a great player at the time, but I didn't appreciate how rare it is to find a special player like that. It's been decades since, and we have not found his equal. (You can argue that KD is every bit as effective a PF as Amare, but they don't seem like similar players to me.)

TOO

Post by TOO »

Good player, don't like him as a person, he's a weirdo.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

"Be Legendary."

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

TOO wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:59 pm
Ooooh, what did he do?

Charlie Smithy!

TOO wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:59 pm
And who was the better defensive player, Steve Nash or Amar'e Stoudemire?

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

If you look around the NBA I think retured numbers fall in four different catagories.

First is the "MVP Type" - Players who played at the level where they were considered for the award or perhaps even won one - Suns: Charles Barkley, Steve Nash

Then the "All-NBA Type" - They were perennially named All-NBA and were probably Hall of Fame players over the course of their careers - Suns: Connie Hawkins, Kevin Johnson, Paul Westphal

The largest goup is "All-Star Type" - Especially when a player spends the bulk of his prime with your team. Some of them are bordeline Hall of Famers - Suns: Tom Chambers, Walter Davis, Shawn Marion, Amare Stoudemire

And then there's also the "Very Good Fan Favorite Type" - Ocassional All-Stars, not Hall of Fame players or even AllpNBA players, but fan favorites who played their prime years with a team - Suns: Alvan Adams, Dan Majerle, Dick Van Arsdale

Which leads me wonder who else will get their numbers retired and why. Booker will eventually, he falls in the "All-NBA Type." Chris Paul would have too if he had stayed longer. And Jason Kidd if he hadn't had the messy seperation from the team. And Dennis Johnson is he had been here more than a couple years.

Larry Nance would fall into the "All-Star Type." I think he was underrated by the national media, and even the local media and fans when he played here. So would Charlie Scott, who went unappreciated because the Suns just weren't that good when he was here.

Jeff Hornacek would fall in the "Very Good Fan Favorite Type" So would Paul SIlas. Leandro Barbosa might be some condideration, but he falls a little short.

Everybody else either didn't play here long enough (Gail Goodrich and probably Chris Paul) or played here on the downside of their career and don;t really warrant it (Penny Hardaway, Shaq, Vince Carter)
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Split T

Post by Split T »

The Bobster wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:12 pm
If you look around the NBA I think retured numbers fall in four different catagories.

First is the "MVP Type" - Players who played at the level where they were considered for the award or perhaps even won one - Suns: Charles Barkley, Steve Nash

Then the "All-NBA Type" - They were perennially named All-NBA and were probably Hall of Fame players over the course of their careers - Suns: Connie Hawkins, Kevin Johnson, Paul Westphal

The largest goup is "All-Star Type" - Especially when a player spends the bulk of his prime with your team. Some of them are bordeline Hall of Famers - Suns: Tom Chambers, Walter Davis, Shawn Marion, Amare Stoudemire

And then there's also the "Very Good Fan Favorite Type" - Ocassional All-Stars, not Hall of Fame players or even AllpNBA players, but fan favorites who played their prime years with a team - Suns: Alvan Adams, Dan Majerle, Dick Van Arsdale

Which leads me wonder who else will get their numbers retired and why. Booker will eventually, he falls in the "All-NBA Type." Chris Paul would have too if he had stayed longer. And Jason Kidd if he hadn't had the messy seperation from the team. And Dennis Johnson is he had been here more than a couple years.

Larry Nance would fall into the "All-Star Type." I think he was underrated by the national media, and even the local media and fans when he played here. So would Charlie Scott, who went unappreciated because the Suns just weren't that good when he was here.

Jeff Hornacek would fall in the "Very Good Fan Favorite Type" So would Paul SIlas. Leandro Barbosa might be some condideration, but he falls a little short.

Everybody else either didn't play here long enough (Gail Goodrich and probably Chris Paul) or played here on the downside of their career and don;t really warrant it (Penny Hardaway, Shaq, Vince Carter)
I think Booker is the only lock right now. Mikal would have to come back and play a few more years and get in in that fan favorite category. I wouldn’t rule out KD as he will likely make an All-NBA team or 2 while here. Beal is unlikely but if he somehow returns to being a healthy player and stays, he’s young enough and good enough to get there…would probably need to stay 5 years and make an all-star team or 2(or win a title here). Probably getting ahead of ourselves with Beal though, he’s very unlikely.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Tolliver, bless his heart trying to block that dunk. :lol:
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Split T wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:39 pm
The Bobster wrote:

I think Booker is the only lock right now. Mikal would have to come back and play a few more years and get in in that fan favorite category. I wouldn’t rule out KD as he will likely make an All-NBA team or 2 while here. Beal is unlikely but if he somehow returns to being a healthy player and stays, he’s young enough and good enough to get there…would probably need to stay 5 years and make an all-star team or 2(or win a title here). Probably getting ahead of ourselves with Beal though, he’s very unlikely.
Yeah, I don't think any past players are still in the running. Like you said, Book is a lock.
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Speaking of which:

"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Superbone wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:42 pm
Split T wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:39 pm
The Bobster wrote:

Yeah, I don't think any past players are still in the running. Like you said, Book is a lock.
Booker, and then also pehaps Durant, depending on how long he stays here. Kidd is the only other player who would warrant serious consideration, but the messy split kind of killed that.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

Durant isn’t going in the ring of honor lol

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

I had the pleasure of having eighth-row seats when Amare went off for 50 against the Trailblazers in January 2005. Portland ran Joe Przybilla, Zach Randolph, Travis Outlaw, Shareef Abdur-Rahim, and Darius Miles at Hell-Boy to no avail. He was 20-27 from the field, with 11 boards.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I just thought of a possible ROH member while watching the ceremony tonight. Mike D'Antoni, orchestrator of 7 seconds or less. Thoughts?

He was also notably absent. I wonder if there are health issues involved.
"Be Legendary."

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

D'Antoni is a strong possibility, and certainly deserving.

Still, it takes a while to get all the Sarver stink scrubbed off the franchise and correct all the things he ignored.

Charlie Smithy!

The Bobster wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 10:44 pm
D'Antoni is a strong possibility, and certainly deserving.

Still, it takes a while to get all the Sarver stink scrubbed off the franchise and correct all the things he ignored.
Do you know if Jerry has ever come out and said anything regarding Robert Sarver, or selling the team to him in the first place?

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

More Videos and Quotes
Spoiler: show/hide

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Where each Suns player peaked in the MVP voting during their time with the Suns -

Charles Barkley - 1st
Steve Nash - 1st
Devin Booker - 4th
Connie Hawkins - 5th
Walter Davis - 5th
Jason Kidd - 5th
Chris Paul - 5th
Paul Westphal - 6th
Amar'e Stoudemire - 6th
Kevin Johnson - 7th
Dennis Johnson - 8th
Tom Chambers - 8th
Shawn Marion - 10th

Amar'e was right there with everyone except Nash and Barkley at his peak - of course he ended up being somewhat overshadowed because Nash was here at the same time. His best years were actually after his knee injury (despite what we saw in the 2005 playoffs), but by the time he was 29 his All-Star days were over. Two years later he was no longer a starter.

Still, it's unfortunate that he left to sign with New York, but given the choice between 5 years/$100 million or the Super Sarver Discount, I think all of us would have picked the New York contract offer. So I don't blame him for leaving, but it still kind of galls me that the Knicks signed him to a ceremonial contract so he could retire a Knick, when the Suns were the team that should have been doing that.
Last edited by The Bobster on Sun Mar 03, 2024 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.