2024 Playoffs: Around the League Round 1 News Thread

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
MightyMoog

Re: 2024 Playoffs: Around the League Round 1 News Thread

Post by MightyMoog »

Cap wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:18 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:19 am
I don't think any team would give up valuable assets for decrepit CP3. They'd have to bundle a decade's worth of picks with him like we love to do. IMO like Split T said they'll just let his contract run out so they can reap the salary savings. He didn't add much value for them this year and isn't worth keeping at that contract number.
Is it possible a team that wants to shed salary will trade for him before his contract becomes guaranteed (June 27, I think) and then cut him?
This is what I meant. For example would Cleveland entertain the idea of cp3 kuminga and a future first if they think Mitchell is walking anyway? Or maybe Chicago just wants to get off lavines contract.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Cap wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:18 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:19 am
I don't think any team would give up valuable assets for decrepit CP3. They'd have to bundle a decade's worth of picks with him like we love to do. IMO like Split T said they'll just let his contract run out so they can reap the salary savings. He didn't add much value for them this year and isn't worth keeping at that contract number.
Is it possible a team that wants to shed salary will trade for him before his contract becomes guaranteed (June 27, I think) and then cut him?
I think they outlawed that loophole. Would have to guarantee his salary to trade him. But maybe someone would trade a player on a longer contract for him.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Split T wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:46 am
Huge win for the Kings
If the Lakers don't get lucky and Zion doesn't get hurt, it's possible that the Pelicans finish off the Lakers. The way the Kings have owned the Lakers, you might have seen the Kings take out 2 old guards before even getting into the playoffs.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I am loving how everybody is just piling on and shitting on the Warriors.

SunsRIt

Post by SunsRIt »

ShelC wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:45 am
Wow. This is completely unexpected. :roll:

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I was just telling my wife about how Zion was supposed to be the next big NBA star but gets hurt every year. And then about 5 minutes later he leaves the game with an injury. It was like clockwork.

Carno

Post by Carno »

I was hoping he would at least last long enough to make the 8 seed and give OKC some trouble.

BKinSJC

Post by BKinSJC »

“[E]valuated again in coming weeks” sounds like “will miss the playoffs if New Orleans gets through” to me. Thunder may be catching a bit of a break, not that they necessarily need it.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Kings will be the 8 seed

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I'm not so sure. It's going to be a battle.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Cap

Post by Cap »

Should be a fun game.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I wish we had Nic Batum on the Suns.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

76ers beat the Heat to secure the 7 seed. I hadn't really looked over the East bracket yet (we should do a Playoff Predictions thread once the matchups are all settled), but the Celtics at #1 are the team you want to avoid in the 1st round. The Knicks are #2 apparently (wow), a much easier opponent. Philly could go far in the postseason if Embiid can stay healthy.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:24 pm
I wish Andre Drummond was our backup C.

pickle

Post by pickle »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
And Keon Ellis. Why do our two ways always end up being more or less useless? The only one in recent memory that we managed to uncover, we let go in free agency (Derrick Jones Jr.) and now he’s a major piece for a hated rival.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Batum would be incredible…he’s a free agent this summer…but he’d have to take the EG discount…not likely.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

TOO wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:36 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Yikes

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:15 pm
Batum would be incredible…he’s a free agent this summer…but he’d have to take the EG discount…not likely.
I wouldn’t rule it out now. It’s a relationship league and we never really know who these guys connect with behind the scenes.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Wally_West wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:18 pm
TOO wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:36 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:

Yikes
:)

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

MightyMoog wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:21 am
Mori Chu wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:56 am
MightyMoog wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:39 am
The warriors are fine. They got a little unlucky this year. The nba has shifted. You’re not going to see powerhouses anymore. If Draymond doesn’t get himself suspended they’re in the playoffs. If Klay doesn’t have the worst game of his life while Keegan Murray has the best one of his life this game swings the other way. In one game, any team in this leagues a beat any other. In a series any team missing one of their top 4 players will lose to a healthy opponent.

Everyone wants to overreact to everything. Look at our team. If Beal doesn’t miss the beginning of the season we’re in the top half of the west. Yeah we had some stupid losses, but those things happen to every team over the course of the season. Even Boston got utterly blown out twice this season. You go cold one night and the other team gets hot.

Warriors will be back. Their 4 young guys will be better next year. They’ll lose they’re old guards in Klay and Paul and will replace them with a couple of younger guys and will be right back in it.

And next year another team will experience some misfortune and we’ll act like the sky is falling.
IMO the Warriors are pretty done in their current iteration. Klay looks absolutely cooked, Draymond isn't the same and can't keep his self control. And Steph, while amazing, can't carry a team by himself. And they just don't have any other guys who can be a #2 or #3 guy on a contender. Wiggins and Kuminga just aren't that guy. Their other young guys are nice pieces but not stars. I think this is kind of what they are at this point. IMO this loss was basically the end of the Warriors as we know them. I bet they lose one of Klay or Draymond in the offseason among other changes.
I agree. But they’ll let Klay walk or sign him for very cheap. They’ll probably use cp3 to trade for another star. Will it be enough to be a #1 contender? No. But they could very easily get back in the mix. If I were them though. I’d tear down more and try to really rebuild from scratch. I think they already got their lightning in a bottle championship. I don’t think Steph can be their best player the next time they win.

At this point Klay is worth the vet minimum to other teams and the mid level to the warriors for nostalgic purposes. It’s sad, but he’s less useful than cp3.
Nah - this was one that everyone should have seen coming. I'm going to take my victory lap here:

viewtopic.php?p=290604#p290604
viewtopic.php?p=290608#p290608