2024 Suns General Offseason News

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: 2024 Suns General Offseason News

Post by Split T »

Probably…and I don’t want him…although he’d shoot 3s at least…our defense would be worse though.

TOO

Post by TOO »

I could definitely talk myself into Trae if you could get him to cut back on the 30 footers, he's got more killer instinct than KD and Booker do, he's just too damn small. I think he ends up in Wembyland and Pop teaches him how to play properly.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Trae and Wemby together are scary…match made in heaven(or hell depending on your perspective).

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Despite my repeatedly complaining about defense, I actually would enjoy having Trae Young on this team. He's a great passer, and he is also a very good scorer and shooter. A swap of Trae for Beal would IMO be a big upgrade for this team. But (a) I don't think Atlanta would go for it (what would Beal give them that they need?), and (b) it'd have to come along with other moves to heavily upgrade our team's defense. So it'd be tough.

Split T

Post by Split T »

And Beal would have to agree.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:38 am
Right. He never would agree.

Honestly I would trade KD for Trae Young (plus whatever pieces on either side of the deal), even though I think KD is a better player in a vacuum. KD is too redundant with Book in the sense of "guy you give it to who will take a tough contested long 2 as the shot clock is running down." We need a guy to start and initiate plays, and Trae does more of that.

If we traded for Trae, the obvious problem would be the gaping hole at PF. We would have to make more moves. It would also call into question which guys to start among Trae, Book, Beal, Allen, etc.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

This is an example of a trade package that would be really tough to swallow. I do think this team is a dead end, but I would not want to make trades like these.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Ugh
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

TOO

Post by TOO »

Devin Booker garners way more than that garbage from the Knicks or Magic.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Mori Chu wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:52 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:38 am
Right. He never would agree.
I still don't understand this line of thinking.

He's a third option on an unbalanced team, so he has to do more role player stuff than he probably enjoys without getting the payoff of a title chance. If he thinks it's not going to work here, he'd should welcome a move to a team that will elevate his role. Sure, he has the right to be picky about which team he moves to, but it's not at all as if he'd just outright reject everything. He'd pick the best option for himself, which is how he ended up in Phoenix in the first place.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Sure but it’s gotta make sense…Atlanta doesn’t make sense. They won’t be that good. He’ll be picky and pick the team he wants to play for. We won’t be as desperate to move him as Washington, so we can get a real return, but it won’t be great.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

My point has always been that it's not impossible.

Actually, I think it's the most likely big move which is why I get triggered by people pushing it aside. Sort of like when someone says the Suns don't have a draft pick for a decade.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I just think it’s gonna be tricky…I tried to look at it this morning and I just don’t know who the team is. He’s got the no trade clause and he makes 50 million dollars. Not easy to find a trade partner.

The teams I settled on that might want him were Orlando, Atlanta, Miami, Philly, New Orleans, Chicago, Brooklyn…

We can’t trade with any 2nd apron teams, Philly has literally nothing to trade but I guess we could dump him there and take nothing back. Would Miami still be interested? I don’t want Herro but we could try to flip Herro somewhere else.

It’s possible but I’m not sure how likely it is. I think all 3 will be back.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Who would want Herro that could offer what the Suns need, either a PG or wing defense?

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:41 pm
I just think it’s gonna be tricky…I tried to look at it this morning and I just don’t know who the team is. He’s got the no trade clause and he makes 50 million dollars. Not easy to find a trade partner.

The teams I settled on that might want him were Orlando, Atlanta, Miami, Philly, New Orleans, Chicago, Brooklyn…

We can’t trade with any 2nd apron teams, Philly has literally nothing to trade but I guess we could dump him there and take nothing back. Would Miami still be interested? I don’t want Herro but we could try to flip Herro somewhere else.

It’s possible but I’m not sure how likely it is. I think all 3 will be back.
Of course it's hard to find the move right now, but we have no idea how teams will change in the coming few months that will open opportunities. Did anyone consider Beal to be an option for the Suns at this time a year ago?

Right now I agree, most likely outcome is all 3 will be in training camp, but I don't know how long that will last if they aren't successful in adding balance to the roster. I think we'll be in a similar situation again and Ishbia will look to make a change before the deadline.

Split T

Post by Split T »

TOO wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:52 pm
Who would want Herro that could offer what the Suns need, either a PG or wing defense?
Maybe Brooklyn would give us Ben Simmons, pg and wing defense 😆

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Clearly that would be a downgrade and would make everyone insane, but at least it would dramatically improve flexibility.

And if they're not going to push for a title, Ishbia needs to have a little more foresight.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Split T wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:09 pm
TOO wrote:
There's a very small part of me that still believes in him and Lonzo Ball. I love defense pass first guards man.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

TOO wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:13 pm
Split T wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:09 pm
TOO wrote:
There's a very small part of me that still believes in him and Lonzo Ball. I love defense pass first guards man.
I think he's more likely a defender who lets guards pass by him now. Sadly.

Split T

Post by Split T »

It’s not the worst idea if we decide to blow things up. Trade KD for picks and prospects. Dump Beal for our 2025 pick and Simmons. Clean out our salary situation and then mini rebuild in 2025/2026 while we have our own picks. Go crazy in free agency 2026.