Game Day - Playoff Edition - Game 4: Wolves (3-0) @ Suns (0-3), Sun 4/28/24

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Flagrant Fowl

Re: Game Day - Playoff Edition - Game 4: Wolves (3-0) @ Suns (0-3), Sun 4/28/24

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

3TheHardaway wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:42 pm
Split T wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:39 pm
What pg are we getting for the vet min? Westbrook?
CP3 once GSW doesn't guarantee his deal. No way they're going into next year with 30 million to CP3.
He creates more issues than he solves if he's in the playoff rotation. He's just too old.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Split T wrote:
Nurk has to go too. He was useless in the playoffs. He had been so good at times during the regular season.

Probably gotta try and trade Beal, just don’t see it
It's their only way out unless KD asks for a trade.
Send me a PM if you're interested in joining the phx-suns.net fantasy basketball league.

TOO

Post by TOO »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:27 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:19 pm
► Show Spoiler
Hmm. Interesting. Concerning.
Spoiler: show/hide
Wow. They sure had that ready to go.
Suns had an offense built for Chris Paul but didn't have Chris Paul. Fuckin genius.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

TOO wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:50 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:27 pm
Wally_West wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:19 pm
► Show Spoiler
Hmm. Interesting. Concerning.
Spoiler: show/hide
Wow. They sure had that ready to go.
Suns had an offense built for Chris Paul but didn't have Chris Paul. Fuckin genius.
That's a overly simplistic to me. They tried to make implement the bench scheme from the Finals run as the primary set, but Saric was an actual shooting threat while Nurkic isn't at all.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ant really is a gem.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:40 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:35 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:32 pm
I still don't think they can insert a PG if they're planning to play them with Booker, Beal, and KD.

Maybe the turnovers will go down, but the rebounding and defense will almost certainly be much worse.
Yeah, I think Beal will need to come off the bench. He can be sixth man.
$50M and he's coming off of the bench. I don't see it working.

The easiest way to fix the roster is to move one of the three $50M guys for complementary players. Enough with stuff that looks good on paper, build a team.
That's fine too. But we have to find a good situation for Beal in order for him to sign off on it.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

They need to play bigger. Split is right about KD playing small. They need a legit 4 next to him. To me the 1-2-3 should be Beal-Book-KD next to a solid 4 and 5 who are good defensively and not total zeros on the offensive end. Either they can shoot 3s or rim run and be a lob threat.

An Aaron Gordon type would be great. I have no idea who that can for be but that’s what I’d be shooting for on a starting 5. Maybe Bol can be that 4 next to Durant idk.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wally_West wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:56 pm
They need to play bigger. Split is right about KD playing small. They need a legit 4 next to him. To me the 1-2-3 should be Beal-Book-KD next to a solid 4 and 5 who are good defensively and not total zeros on the offensive end. Either they can shoot 3s or rim run and be a lob threat.

An Aaron Gordon type would be great. I have no idea who that can for be but that’s what I’d be shooting for on a starting 5. Maybe Bol can be that 4 next to Durant idk.
Really? You want to continue to run without a true point guard?
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I feel for Beal tonight. He had a nightmare of a game and you could see the disappointment and frustration on his face. I hope he uses that as fuel to come back better next year and doesn't let it get in his head like Nick Anderson did many years ago.

Coach should be fired but I'm glad he tried playing some new guys tonight including Okogie and Little. But then he played Gordon a lot of ineffective minutes and didn't try Bol.

Book and KD had nice nights offensively but there really wasn't much offensive flow otherwise. Nurk had a stinker of a game and struggled most of the series. I'm not down on Nurkic but this was a bad matchup for him. Anybody saying or implying that a certain former center of ours would have been better, well, all I can say is that former center also struggled mightily against Gobert. So I don't think he would have been the answer.

We can't trade Book, we won't trade KD, and the Beal trade can't be done because he'll block it and no team would take him anyway. So we're stuck with those guys. The more I think about it, the more I think this team would be well served by bringing some of our current starters off the bench. Having Beal be our 6th man would be huge. That way we could go get an actual PG and not force a square peg into a round hole. And/or maybe we bring Grayson Allen off the bench and start O'Neale for defense. I just think we need better offensive/defensive balance on the floor.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:54 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:40 pm
Superbone wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:35 pm
Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:32 pm
I still don't think they can insert a PG if they're planning to play them with Booker, Beal, and KD.

Maybe the turnovers will go down, but the rebounding and defense will almost certainly be much worse.
Yeah, I think Beal will need to come off the bench. He can be sixth man.
$50M and he's coming off of the bench. I don't see it working.

The easiest way to fix the roster is to move one of the three $50M guys for complementary players. Enough with stuff that looks good on paper, build a team.
That's fine too. But we have to find a good situation for Beal in order for him to sign off on it.
Orlando is the first place that stands out to me because it's not far from where he went to school in Gainesville. They have $42M in cap space coming up without desperately needing to re-sing anyone. The talent in the deal would likely look awful for the Suns on paper.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

3TheHardaway wrote:
Split T wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:39 pm
What pg are we getting for the vet min? Westbrook?
CP3 once GSW doesn't guarantee his deal. No way they're going into next year with 30 million to CP3.
The way CP was talking after the trade was makes me think the bridge is burnt between us.

3TheHardaway

Post by 3TheHardaway »

If that 4 was Draymond Green or Lebron, you could roll with Book-Beal-KD 1-3.

If the Suns do snag Bronny, I think that means Beal stays and we go all in banking on LeDad signing for the minimum.

More likely is Beal is traded for size, and we figure out a more traditional PG thereafter.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

Superbone wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:57 pm
Wally_West wrote:

This is when having a capable PG on the bench becomes viable. I think Wally's point is that this team needs to fix it's size/athleticism to improve their defense before anything else. It's about balancing the roster.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Superbone wrote:
Wally_West wrote:

Not in the starting lineup. Beal isn’t going to the bench, thinking otherwise is silly, so that means starting a pg next to Beal and Book which makes us even smaller and even more vulnerable to teams with size.

A back up PG on the bench, replacing the EG minutes and being able to start if Book or Beal is hurt would be ideal.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

Flagrant Fowl wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:02 pm
Superbone wrote:
Wally_West wrote:

This is when having a capable PG on the bench becomes viable. I think Wally's point is that this team needs to fix it's size/athleticism to improve their defense before anything else. It's about balancing the roster.
Bingo

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

3TheHardaway wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:01 pm
If that 4 was Draymond Green or Lebron, you could roll with Book-Beal-KD 1-3.

If the Suns do snag Bronny, I think that means Beal stays and we go all in banking on LeDad signing for the minimum.

More likely is Beal is traded for size, and we figure out a more traditional PG thereafter.
Ngl Lebron would be great. Him as a pg on on this team would legit make us an offensive juggernaut. His defense has taken a big step back but he can play in spurts and lock in during big games. He just can’t do it over a full season.

A boy can dream.

Split T

Post by Split T »

I wish we could trade Beal for Dejounte Murray and Clint Capela…that would help a lot. You could still start Grayson, but I’d also happily bring him off the bench if we could find an actual wing. Like what if you traded Nurk with a 1st for Dorian Finney-Smith?

Murray/Booker/KD/DFS/Capela

Allen/Bol off the bench…plus whatever vet min guys you can find.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

No chance in hell Atlanta would make that deal because they could do much better than Bradley Beal for Murray and Capela.

And they should be skeptical of pairing Beal with Trae Young.

Flagrant Fowl

Post by Flagrant Fowl »

I brought up Orlando, so I could see something like Joe Ingles, Jett Howard and draft capital for Beal.

I have a hard time believing the Suns could directly turn Beal into the right pieces to fit the rotation. It's more likely they'd have to start by freeing up space and acquiring contracts to eventually bring in their targets.

Targets? Who the hell am I kidding? We don't really know who is even running player personnel at this point.
Last edited by Flagrant Fowl on Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SunsSince92

Post by SunsSince92 »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:59 pm
I feel for Beal tonight. He had a nightmare of a game and you could see the disappointment and frustration on his face. I hope he uses that as fuel to come back better next year and doesn't let it get in his head like Nick Anderson did many years ago.

Coach should be fired but I'm glad he tried playing some new guys tonight including Okogie and Little. But then he played Gordon a lot of ineffective minutes and didn't try Bol.

Book and KD had nice nights offensively but there really wasn't much offensive flow otherwise. Nurk had a stinker of a game and struggled most of the series. I'm not down on Nurkic but this was a bad matchup for him. Anybody saying or implying that a certain former center of ours would have been better, well, all I can say is that former center also struggled mightily against Gobert. So I don't think he would have been the answer.

We can't trade Book, we won't trade KD, and the Beal trade can't be done because he'll block it and no team would take him anyway. So we're stuck with those guys. The more I think about it, the more I think this team would be well served by bringing some of our current starters off the bench. Having Beal be our 6th man would be huge. That way we could go get an actual PG and not force a square peg into a round hole. And/or maybe we bring Grayson Allen off the bench and start O'Neale for defense. I just think we need better offensive/defensive balance on the floor.
I totally disagree on playing Little. Why on earth would you turn to a guy that hasn't played anything but garbage time minutes for months in the biggest game of the season. It made zero sense and was indicative of desperation.

Realistically we have to trade KD to have any chance of bringing back a serviceable PG/ rotation pieces. I don't see how we can go into next season with the 'big 3', Allen and a bunch of vet minimums and expect a different outcome.

Beal's not going anywhere so it has to be KD or Book. Personally I wouldn't be averse to trading either.
Last edited by SunsSince92 on Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.