2024 Suns Offseason: Where do we go from here?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Split T

Re: 2024 Suns Offseason: Where do we go from here?

Post by Split T »

They think they are smarter than the rest of the league by using the draft as a way to improve the current roster and pass on dealing with development. I can understand a little, but they gotta nail the trades…can’t like trade Little with the 31 pick for some 8th man. Can’t use the picks to just dump the Nurk contract and add an 8th man either. They need to use those picks to add significant difference makers.

Carno

Post by Carno »

I'm still skeptical that there's a trade out there that makes sense. We will see though.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Ya I’m skeptical as well…but we also have to see how the rest of the playoffs go

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Even contending teams keep on 1-2 rookies / youngs to develop. It's just smart business. If you "hit" on your draft pick and draft a future cornerstone, that's way, way more valuable than anything you could trade the pick for. And plenty of great NBA stars have been drafted at the #22 spot or later.

Kryptonic

Post by Kryptonic »

I agree…. I feel like we were finally starting to build a long lasting franchise until the KD trade. Even Ayton, although frustrating, is still decent and has potential.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 7:01 am
Even contending teams keep on 1-2 rookies / youngs to develop. It's just smart business. If you "hit" on your draft pick and draft a future cornerstone, that's way, way more valuable than anything you could trade the pick for. And plenty of great NBA stars have been drafted at the #22 spot or later.
That’s true but I think the game they are playing is do you take 3 home run swings to hit 1 or do you just take 3 singles? You get a known commodity if you trade the pick. Better chance you draft a non-difference maker, especially at 22 or later.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Yeah, but, if you keep throwing away your picks to get veterans, you end up with (at best) a lot of Royce O'Neales, guys who might be rotation players but in 1-2 years you have to throw decently large money at them to get them to stay, else they just leave. And that's how you end up with a team full of role players making a little too much money. And no assets for a decade to make the team better. And that's a BEST case scenario; more likely you end up with some whiffs, and now you threw away your pick for nothing. I doubt we'd get much better for our pick than the kind of guys who signed cheap for us last offseason, like KBD, Yuta, and Metu.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Royce was acquired with 2nd round picks. We aren’t trading 1st round picks for guys like KBD and Yuta…ya if you have that bleak of an expectation for what is coming back via trade, then I understand not wanting to trade the pick. There’s no chance we trade the pick for someone that bad.

Why would you say at best Royce O’Neale? Dallas just got Daniel Gafford and PJ Washington last year for 1st round picks. Those guys are both significantly better than Royce.

It feels like you described a worst case scenario and called it the best case scenario.

carey

Post by carey »

The #1 thing we need to do is get off the Beale contract. Idk who would take him but maybe Philly with their %65 mil in cap space. Who else can they get on the free agent market?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Split T

Post by Split T »

I wouldn’t get your hopes up. Think Beal is here to stay. Philly reportedly will go after Paul George. Embiid/George/Maxey is quite the trio.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

carey wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 10:22 am
The #1 thing we need to do is get off the Beale contract. Idk who would take him but maybe Philly with their %65 mil in cap space. Who else can they get on the free agent market?
I think the best chance of unloading Beal would be Orlando. They're having a promising playoff run here, pushing Cleveland to a Game 7. But their guards are mostly poodoo bantha fodder, and Beal would be a big upgrade at "lead guard" for them. Plus they have a bunch of cap space and could absorb some of the cap hit. But I don't know why Beal would waive his no-trade clause to go to Orlando, unless he thought he could help be a leader for that team in a way that he hasn't been here in Phoenix.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 10:22 am
If you think that's #1, be prepared to be disappointed.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Split T

Post by Split T »

What!?
Last edited by Split T on Sun May 05, 2024 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Harden might actually make sense from a basketball perspective (needing a facilitator in the starting lineup). But I don't see why he would turn down $35+ million to come here on a minimum contract.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Well the tweet I think is wrong…he was on his player option this year. He’s an UFA. But ya I don’t really see him signing for the minimum. We’d actually have an avenue to get him if he had a player option(Beal for Harden). Think it’s probably just KD and AZ ties, plus knowing our desperation.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Here would be a thought….

Reports are that Miami is souring on Jimmy…they were also linked to Beal before.

Beal for Jimmy? Makes a lot of sense for us, but does Miami still want Beal with no Jimmy? Beal has a worse contract and is a worse player, so they probably want a pick too. Does Beal want that? Would be tricky, but Jimmy as our de facto pg who can also defend and adds size would be nice next to Booker and KD…when he actually plays at least.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Split T wrote:
Sat May 04, 2024 1:25 pm
Here would be a thought….

Reports are that Miami is souring on Jimmy…they were also linked to Beal before.

Beal for Jimmy? Makes a lot of sense for us, but does Miami still want Beal with no Jimmy? Beal has a worse contract and is a worse player, so they probably want a pick too. Does Beal want that? Would be tricky, but Jimmy as our de facto pg who can also defend and adds size would be nice next to Booker and KD…when he actually plays at least.
Last I heard, they love Jimmy Butler there. And I don't see why they would trade him for a clearly worse player in Beal, on a worse contract, as you say.

Split T

Post by Split T »

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Huh, interesting. We'll have to watch and see.

specialsauce

Post by specialsauce »

No way in hell I want to give him the extension he wants. I'd love to swap him and Beal and then get off that contract in 2026.

I'd also love to swap KD and Adebayo