Will the Suns make the playoffs?

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 12

Mandiraj

Post by Mandiraj »

I think the playoffs are coming up somewhat soon. I looked up the standings and there are 4 teams with similar records around the cutoff (Warriors, Dallas, Memphis, and the Suns). The Suns are only one game out from Memphis and 3 from Warriors so I was wondering how likely it is that they will make the cut. Do any of these teams have an easier/harder last set of games? Is there a big difference in advantage in the playoffs if you are the 8th vs 7th place team? I should admit I'm also a Warriors fan (I live in the Bay Area) so I'm really hoping both teams make it!

TOO

Re: Will the Suns make the playoffs?

Post by TOO »

Nooooooope.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Mandiraj wrote:I think the playoffs are coming up somewhat soon.
There are 82 games in a season and then the playoffs start. Suns are 38-28 so that means they have 16 games remaining.
Mandiraj wrote:I looked up the standings and there are 4 teams with similar records around the cutoff (Warriors, Dallas, Memphis, and the Suns). The Suns are only one game out from Memphis and 3 from Warriors so I was wondering how likely it is that they will make the cut.
My guess is Dallas and Phoenix will be fighting for the last playoff spot in the West.
Mandiraj wrote:Do any of these teams have an easier/harder last set of games?
My understanding is the Suns have the toughest remaining schedule of the bubble teams.
Mandiraj wrote:Is there a big difference in advantage in the playoffs if you are the 8th vs 7th place team?
Nope. Either position would have a very tough time winning the series and moving on.
Mandiraj wrote:I should admit I'm also a Warriors fan (I live in the Bay Area) so I'm really hoping both teams make it!
The Warriors will probably make it but they'll have a tough time making it out of the first round.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Added a poll because I'm curious what everyone thinks. None of the teams above us seem to want to lose. I think we just miss it by a game or two and we'll point to that stretch of 3 losses last week to be the dagger in our season.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

If it comes down to one or two games there will be a few to point. Washington, NY, Detroit, for instance, but if we miss the playoffs indeed it will have a lot to do with the lack of hustle showed since the Houston game.

The Bobster

Post by The Bobster »

Every team has a few of those games every year. Playing .500 ball over the course of a couple of months when Bledsoe was out is the big problem.

To be a real contender in the West the Suns are going to need to upgrade their starting frontcourt. They have one-non scorer in Plumlee and two guys who basically are standstill shooters in Frye and Tucker who need to have someone set them up for their shot (and the Suns are next-to-last in assists, so that's a problem).

Ideally Markieff improves enough over the offseason that he becomes the PF next year, but they'll need to upgrade SF as well if they're using Plumplee and Len as their centers.
Author of The Basketball Draft Fact Book: A History of Professional Basketball's College Drafts
Available from Scarecrow Press at - https://rowman.com/ISBN/9780810890695

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

I have no problems if they miss the playoffs. They've have a good run during the season.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

LazarusLong wrote:I have no problems if they miss the playoffs. They've have a good run during the season.
I say this to nearly all your posts, LL, but what the hells - I agree with ya!

Mainly cuz I personally want our Horny coach to succeed, n I figure having a season like this (playoffs or no) has to help him (and the team) in the long run.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I want us to make the playoffs because I think Hornacek has a great chance of winning CotY if we do, and not much chance of it if we don't. It would be a true accomplishment for Jeff Hornacek to win Coach of the Year in his first year as Suns coach.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Its just fucked up that we have to ask this question.... we would be the third seed in the East.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Phoenix219 wrote:Its just fucked up that we have to ask this question.... we would be the third seed in the East.
What's sad is, because of the east's suckage, should we make the playoffs as #8, we'd jump from the #14 pick right now to #20. :lol:

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Phoenix219 wrote:Its just fucked up that we have to ask this question.... we would be the third seed in the East.
I wouldn't ring that bell too loud; Chicago has handled the Suns easily and Brooklyn just beat them convincingly. Washington beat the Suns too.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

INFORMER wrote:
I wouldn't ring that bell too loud; Chicago has handled the Suns easily and Brooklyn just beat them convincingly. Washington beat the Suns too.
I was just doing a current record comparison.... yes, our record would be different if we were in the East, because we would be playing those teams 4 times instead of twice, and vice versa, so who knows exactly what we would be; But what is apparent, is that in neither case would we be fighting for our playoff existance. We are a Top 12 team, Period. Multiple teams with worse records will be easily making the playoffs, just because of conference disparity.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

I also believe that we have played like a top team with and without Bledsoe, but it hasn't been the case for some time now. Fatigue, streakiness, etc. But the reality is that our game has left an awful lot to be desired lately, whereas the Bulls have been quite solid despite suffering their own fair share of problems, included the trade of one of their biggest pieces.

Melo to Chicago makes plenty of sense, probably moreso than Phoenix. They have more playoff experience, more pedigree, a coach and a team that can mask Melo's flaws. Meanwhile, Anthony provides scoring to a roster that has had a lot of trouble making 90 points at times this season. And they are in the pitiful East, which from a strategic point of view, has to be more attractive to the player (for all the wrong reasons, granted, but still).

carey

Post by carey »

Thibs would kill Melo.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

TOO

Post by TOO »

carey wrote:Thibs would kill Melo.
I actually think Melo would be fine, its not like Rose was known for taking good shots or being a good defender.

carey

Post by carey »

Ha. OK. I guarantee you Melo gets Thibs fired within a year of signing with the Bulls.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

I dunno. I think Melo has had enough of being on weak teams with crappy coaches. He is at a point in his career where he wants to win. I think he would buy in to a successful system like the one Thibs runs.

TOO

Post by TOO »

carey wrote:Ha. OK. I guarantee you Melo gets Thibs fired within a year of signing with the Bulls.
Based on what? He's not a coach killer, he plays hard, but sometimes tries to do too much. Sure he's not a good defender, so what? He's an unstoppable freak on offense, he just needs help. The Knicks are a very poorly coached and constructed team, Melo can only do so much for them.

carey

Post by carey »

Name me one coach he's gotten along with? Not Karl, not D.A., not Woodson. Melo is his own entity, there's no way he's going to mesh well with a coach like Thibs who has a clear defense first approach that's not going to let Melo do what hw wants to do. We will see in time. He's kind of sucking up to P.J. for the moment.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!