Phxsuns.net is dead, long live phx-suns.net!

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Superbone

Phxsuns.net is dead, long live phx-suns.net!

Post by Superbone »

The talk in the other thread got me to thinking. We had a great run with Sose and phxsuns.net. Yes, it ended suddenly and without much communication, but let's celebrate the good times we had and will continue to have. Thanks to Mori/Marty for getting us all back together. Ultimately, phxsuns.net or phx-suns.net, however you want to spell it, is all about this group of devoted Suns fans that came together many years ago and now continue to join together to talk about our beloved Suns.

Go Suns!
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Re: Phxsuns.net is dead, long live phx-suns.net!

Post by Superbone »

This is a place to celebrate that history. We've had many people come and go through the years. MEE touched many of our lives and it was a sad day in our history when we lost her.

Does anybody here remember what year phxsuns.net was first born? We know it came out of a group of us from AZCentral or whatever it was called back in the day and was created to get away from the trolls. (One in particular ;) ) I'd love it if long-time posters could give their memories of when we first broke off. Who all was here from the beginning of phxsuns.net? I know for sure myself, Swing, and Laz. Indy? Cap? JJ Slim? Who came later?

"Be Legendary."

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Yes, I was a charter member of the original phxsuns.net - the stains hadn't even dried on Lewinsky when Sose fired it up in either 1999 or 2000 because he, like most of us, were fed up with the fact that the old AzCentral board admin(s) had never heard of the term "moderator" and ignored the trolls that festered at that site.

We were - and are - a pretty tight-knit community. Enough so that we initiated several get-togethers - below is just one :

Throwback Saturday - LOL!

The date : Sunday, February 23, 2003

The place : Alice Cooperstown, back of AWA (now U.S. Airways Arena), gathered for a Phoenix Suns road game against the Minnesota Timberwolves.

The people : a considerable contingent of degenerates and assorted family/significant others of the original PhxSuns.net Phoenix Suns online message board. From left to right, going clockwise and identified by their board user names :

SwingMan (myself), Nodack, virtual9mm, CharlesV, CharlesV's wife, UnrelentingOrder, Unrelenting Order's mother, LazarusLong, RazorsEdge and, in the foreground, Sose. (EDIT : Don't know why, but RazorsEdge is cropped out - he was right behind Sose)

The outcome : The Phoenix Suns lost, but we won big time. ;)

(IIRC, Sose was nursing a massive hangover that day :lol: )
Last edited by SwingMan on Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Charlie Smithy!

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

MEE died on my birthday, but I would not have forgotten here any other way; I was particulary appreciative of her ability to reign MR in (and not to mention, myself as well). Overall, she was just a stabilizing presence that will never be replaced.

As far as how I got here, around 2002/2003, I was Yahoo searching for a Suns basketball forum and found a message (on the Yahoo Suns' message board) that stated something along the lines of "everyone is over at phxsuns.net"

I registered and unknowingly created my intro thread in the Suns/NBA section entitled "The Generic Newbie Thread." I remember you, Supe (and you avatar of Big Jake dunking on Robert Horry) and Charles V being particularly welcoming. I also got to know a few of you over the "Live Message" system that that particular forum ran.

I've changed a lot as a person over the years, and phxsuns.net has been an uncomfortable (but after all these years, and appreciated) reminder of where I was compared to now.

I wouldn't have it any other way though; you guys have had the patience to put up with me over the years and have taught me a thing or two along the way. You also gave life to the 20 Questions threads when, at the time, we didn't really have a whole lot to talk about (positively speaking) regarding the Suns.

In any case, should Mori/Marty somehow go the way of the Sose, I'll be more than happy to keep carrying the torch.

Indy

Post by Indy »

It was 2000 bone. Check Whois and it tells you. 11/10/2000 was when the domain was created. Probably shortly after the site was up.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Good stuff, guys. I'm glad you guys have good memories. I had forgotten all about the Tsakalidas dunking on Horry avatar. So, we're going on 14 or 15 years, Swing? Wow!

"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Indy wrote:It was 2000 bone. Check Whois and it tells you. 11/10/2000 was when the domain was created. Probably shortly after the site was up.
Awesome! So, 14 years next month. Good to know and have documented here. Time flies!

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

Sure does. Crazy to think where I was when I first started lurking here compared to today. And it took 3 years before I registered and could post.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I wasn't aware of whois. Just looked it up. Get this registered physical address for the site:

1234 Harda Way

Backcourt 2000, anyone?

"Be Legendary."

carey

Post by carey »

Hey 'Bone, you didn't by chance watch the Key & Peele "Family Matters" sketch recently did you?
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

carey wrote:Hey 'Bone, you didn't by chance watch the Key & Peele "Family Matters" sketch recently did you?
I watch the show religiously with my son. Haven't seen the last episode yet.

"Be Legendary."

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Superbone wrote:
Indy wrote:It was 2000 bone. Check Whois and it tells you. 11/10/2000 was when the domain was created. Probably shortly after the site was up.
Awesome! So, 14 years next month. Good to know and have documented here. Time flies!
Ah, yes - right smack in the midst of the malaise era. :lol:

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

And, my avatar is a holdover from the original site - KK Chub/MEE put it together for me and similar avatars for about 4 dozen posters when Sose & the site was threatened with legal action over, I think, something to do with the name/suggested Phoenix Suns affiliation or somesuch.

ShelC

Post by ShelC »

I remember being on the boards when we traded for Penny, signed <CENSORED>, and Googs, which was about '99 tho. That was the old azcentral board though.

Looks like 2001 was when phxsuns.net started up. Check out the waybackmachine if you haven't. Brought back some memories...http://archive.org/web/

iLLmatic

Post by iLLmatic »

I think I found the site in 2001/2002? I used to visit arizonasportsfans.com for my fill of Suns talk and I think someone mentioned phxsuns.net in their post. I ended up frequenting the site a lot after that, however, I couldn't join because of the locked membership. The site used to give the option to put your AIM or MSN name for contact next to your site name and I added sunsbackcourt321, I think, who gave me Sose's email address where I was finally able to obtain a membership. The rest is history so they say. I remember the whole FJ fiasco and when the Suns were threatening to sue Sose over copyright, I think they said the site was too closely similar to Suns and that fans might get confused that it was an official Suns site. Isn't that when they had the banner changed?

Indy

Post by Indy »

iLLmatic wrote:I think I found the site in 2001/2002? I used to visit arizonasportsfans.com for my fill of Suns talk and I think someone mentioned phxsuns.net in their post. I ended up frequenting the site a lot after that, however, I couldn't join because of the locked membership. The site used to give the option to put your AIM or MSN name for contact next to your site name and I added sunsbackcourt321, I think, who gave me Sose's email address where I was finally able to obtain a membership. The rest is history so they say. I remember the whole FJ fiasco and when the Suns were threatening to sue Sose over copyright, I think they said the site was too closely similar to Suns and that fans might get confused that it was an official Suns site. Isn't that when they had the banner changed?
Yep. They said a casual fan might not be able to discern this site was not affiliated with them. And then they would see a picture of the head coach holding a dildo. After some discussions it was worked out. The head legal guy called me one day since I sent an email to the Suns complaining and saying I was going to cancel my season tickets. He was very nice and gave us some simple rules to follow to avoid any further action.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Pretty ironic who the poster was with the offending avatar. ;)

"Be Legendary."

Indy

Post by Indy »

I left that part out...

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Mori's on record here fessing up to it - seeing as how the married woman FJ boinked had the name of Hancock, the way Mori ran with a punchline that was begging to be made fun of was crude, tasteless and epic at the same time. 8-)

LazarusLong

Post by LazarusLong »

Superbone wrote:This is a place to celebrate that history. We've had many people come and go through the years. MEE touched many of our lives and it was a sad day in our history when we lost her.

Does anybody here remember what year phxsuns.net was first born? We know it came out of a group of us from AZCentral or whatever it was called back in the day and was created to get away from the trolls. (One in particular ;) ) I'd love it if long-time posters could give their memories of when we first broke off. Who all was here from the beginning of phxsuns.net? I know for sure myself, Swing, and Laz. Indy? Cap? JJ Slim? Who came later?
Don't forget Ladmo. And the Chameleon. I think there was about 40 or so, initially, that joined in the first couple of weeks. Cap, of course, too. Dan H. TripleB.
Window is open again ... blue skies ahead?