March Madness: 2014

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
carey

March Madness: 2014

Post by carey »

I didn't even know Danny Manning was coaching Tulsa, let alone that he coached them to a tournament birth.

Use this thread for all things tournament related. I'd set up a bracket contest but last year I did it and we had like 5 entries, so boo on y'all.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

Bruiser

Re: March Madness: 2014

Post by Bruiser »

Most of you probably know way too much about college players already to find this interesting but for me it was a pretty fine read...

http://www.reddit.com/r/NBA_Draft/comme ... l_fan_who/

http://www.reddit.com/r/NBA_Draft/comme ... l_fan_who/

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Come on Dayton!!! (up 5 in the second half over Ohio St; I'd pick Dayton to win.)
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

INFORMER wrote:Come on Dayton!!! (up 5 in the second half over Ohio St; I'd pick Dayton to win.)
Dang, there goes my billion dollars.
"Too little, too late, too unbothered."
- Phoenix Suns 2023-2024 season motto.

"Be Legendary."

JeffreyLee

Post by JeffreyLee »

Superbone wrote:
INFORMER wrote:Come on Dayton!!! (up 5 in the second half over Ohio St; I'd pick Dayton to win.)
Dang, there goes my billion dollars.
Dayton ruined my bracket. Harvard might safe it though
You sold me two quier giraffes

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Perfect (Yahoo) bracket so far. My ESPN one has one miss; I hedged my bet and picked Ohio State over Dayton on that one.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

13/16 at the end of day one. Really thought St. Joe's and NC State would advance. Oh well.

carey

Post by carey »

INFORMER wrote:13/16 at the end of day one. Really thought St. Joe's and NC State would advance. Oh well.
Epic collapse by State. 13 point lead with 3 min remaining? Hard to fuck that up.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Thanks for nothing, Duke. Ugh.

JeffreyLee

Post by JeffreyLee »

INFORMER wrote:Thanks for nothing, Duke. Ugh.
Duke ruined my bracket completly. It was already bad, but that put the nail in the coffin.

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Being both a UofA fan and UNLV fan, I always let emotion take over and pick duke to lose early. Paying off this year!

JeffreyLee

Post by JeffreyLee »

wpmiller42 wrote:Being both a UofA fan and UNLV fan, I always let emotion take over and pick duke to lose early. Paying off this year!
I love going to the unlv games! i miss not living in vegas. But i do like that i can get to go to pro sports here.

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

JeffreyLee wrote:
INFORMER wrote:Thanks for nothing, Duke. Ugh.
Duke ruined my bracket completly. It was already bad, but that put the nail in the coffin.
I'm getting slaughtered today.

Sunsfan4life

Post by Sunsfan4life »

Anyone watching the Zona-Zags game? I love Aaron Gordon. The more I watch him the more he impresses me. He is #4 on my board right now, I think the offensive game will improve with age, but the verstility is so intriguing. I just watched him block a shot, slam home an alley opp and then hit a 3 within a span of a few mins.
“Kobe had said (after the play) I wasn’t hugged enough as a child,” Bell recalled. “My mom kind of found him after the instance and we had beat them and offered him a hug in the bowels of the Phoenix arena. She really feels a part of that story.”

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Yeah, he's looked great this game. I've been very skeptical of him, but his play in the Pac-12 championship game, and his play tonight thus far has gone a long way towards winning me over.

carey

Post by carey »

Glad someone took Boeheim to task for his dumb comments over the weekend so I didn't have to spend time on it cause they were stupid as hell: CLICK
Syracuse basketball coach Jim Boeheim made $1.9 million last year. Yet, he doesn’t believe college players should be paid.

The NCAA is a scam, and Boeheim is the recipient of the wealth. He recruits young men to play for him for far less than market value and uses them to make himself money. And in a cartel system where every college team agrees to limit the compensation of its employees, the players have little recourse.

What's all the fuss about? It's about this...
[“]I’m not going to be specific about anybody but my experience is guys look and if they see they fall where they’re favorable [they leave]…If you go 15th in the draft, you’re nothing. You might be out of the league in two years. It used to be a first-round draft pick you had a chance. That’s nothing. Those guys are out of the league. Half the guys taken in the first round the last three years are not even in the league.

“You gotta be in the top seven, eight, 10 picks to make sure you’re going to be playing in the NBA.”
It's not hard to look at Grant and Ennis' projected draft spot to figure out what motivated this yammering.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

carey

Post by carey »

Barkley barkleying: CLICK
“I want these kids to stay in school longer because the NBA is worse than it’s ever been,” Barkley said. “It’s not good basketball. It’s frustrating for me to watch. These kids aren’t physically or emotionally ready to come and play against grown men.”

More specifically?

“Jabari Parker and Andrew Wiggins are supposed to be top-3 draft picks,” he continued. “They didn’t have very good games — and it’s just one game — but if they’re going to struggle against Mercer and Stanford, they’re really gonna struggle against grown men.”
Go Suns!

Og Snus!

wpmiller42

Post by wpmiller42 »

Sunsfan4life wrote:Anyone watching the Zona-Zags game? I love Aaron Gordon. The more I watch him the more he impresses me. He is #4 on my board right now, I think the offensive game will improve with age, but the verstility is so intriguing. I just watched him block a shot, slam home an alley opp and then hit a 3 within a span of a few mins.
I really like Gordon, but I worry about his offensive game. I'm really surprised more players aren't sagging off of him and daring him to shoot jumpers. He's been a little better from 3 lately, but if I'm an opposing coach, I'm telling my guys to take our chances with him taking jumpers.

All that being said, if we were able to grab him with the 14th pick, I'd be ecstatic.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

All that being said, if we were able to grab him with the 14th pick, I'd be ecstatic.
He, of course, will not still be available at #14.

carey

Post by carey »

Games start again today. UofA has the late game, doesn't even tip off until 10:15 EST since they're playing out West. Only thing I don't like is that it's practically a home game for SDST. Really want to see this team reach the final 4.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!