Around the League: Week of 3/30 - 4/05

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
INFORMER

Re: Around the League: Week of 3/30 - 4/05

Post by INFORMER »

Yeah, with his propensity for injury, you can't give him more than a one year deal guarantee, and even that may be a waste if he's looking for a large annual salary. He still can play, he just gets injured SO MUCH.
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

I think he can be had at a discount precisely because of his injury history.

He's exactly the kind of player we're looking for. Great rebounder, very good defender (both team and individual) and an underrated passer. That gets lost because of how much time he's missed and who he plays for.

He'd be a great project for our training staff.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Shabazz wrote:I think he can be had at a discount precisely because of his injury history.

He's exactly the kind of player we're looking for. Great rebounder, very good defender (both team and individual) and an underrated passer. That gets lost because of how much time he's missed and who he plays for.

He'd be a great project for our training staff.
I take it you're done with Len?

INFORMER

Post by INFORMER »

Or Plumlee?
Trendon Watford. Please and thank you.

Phoenix219

Post by Phoenix219 »

Plumlee hit the "rookie" wall, but I am far from done with him. He's a quiet, unspoken key to team success.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

INFORMER wrote:Or Plumlee?
Shoot - I just took it for granted that Plumlee was generally somewhat beyond reproach in that aspect, but, seeing as how Varejao's more established, good point.

I was leary of Len initially, but, considering the circumstances (youth, no training camp etc.), he's shown me enough to warrant a few more years worth of slack.

SwingMan

Post by SwingMan »

Phoenix219 wrote:Plumlee hit the "rookie" wall, but I am far from done with him. He's a quiet, unspoken key to team success.
Plus, he was trying to play through a banged-up knee for a stretch.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Not done with Len or Plumlee in the least. But who knows what will happen this offseason?

SDC

Post by SDC »

if marc gasol is available... or the mercurial demarcus cousins.

TOO

Post by TOO »

SDC wrote:if marc gasol is available... or the mercurial demarcus cousins.
I know he's a giant baby, but I'd be all over DMC, he's putting it together. Plus we wouldn't have to watch him beat on us anymore...

SDC

Post by SDC »

i hope cousins becomes toxic in sactown, so the suns can trade for him cheaper.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

DeMarcus is scary to me. Great potential, but a grade-A knucklehead. You can blame some of that on the crappy situation he's in, but will he really respect the Suns staff and Jeff Hornacek, and our other players? I don't know whether he'd be a good fit here.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

Maybe winning does him well. It wouldn't be the first time. But I think talking about cousins is as absurd as discussing John Wall, for instance.

By the way, regarding Varejao, I absolutely love his game, but I'm afraid he is too injury prone to invest significant money. His age is not a huge concern to me, as this team could use one veteran who has been real places before, but signing him to what he would probably command really scares me, so I think we should look elsewhere.

Anyway, it's obvious that we need better interior defense and rebounding. When Miles was not exhausted he actually protected the rim a ton, but right now Markieff, Frye and him make an awful interior rotation on that side of the court.

Shabazz

Post by Shabazz »

Ring_Wanted wrote: By the way, regarding Varejao, I absolutely love his game, but I'm afraid he is too injury prone to invest significant money. His age is not a huge concern to me, as this team could use one veteran who has been real places before, but signing him to what he would probably command really scares me, so I think we should look elsewhere.
I really don't think 31-year old, injury prone, Anderson Varejao is going to command either a lot of $ or a lot of years.

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Shabazz wrote:I really don't think 31-year old, injury prone, Anderson Varejao is going to command either a lot of $ or a lot of years.
There aren't a lot of great FAs, and big men almost always get overpaid. Some GM is still in love with Andy from his glory days in Cleveland, and he'll make a big offer for him. Varejao won't come cheap.

carey

Post by carey »

I really don't know what to make of Miles at this point. We are a far better team late in games going small with Kieff at Center.
Go Suns!

Og Snus!