Steve Albert...

Discussion of the league and of our favorite team.
Charlie Smithy!

Steve Albert...

Post by Charlie Smithy! »

So yeah, I really have never had a full-season of league pass 'till this year, and as such, obviously missed the Leander days in the booth. Now, I know he was rightfully shat upon before, but it's like everything in my head is telling me that even *he* would be better than ol' Steve-o.

I kept thinking maybe he's senile, but looked his age and figured it can't be that - gets to the point where I actually feel bad for the guy during a broadcast cuz he seems like he's always a step behind what's going on.

...What's y'alls take on SteveAl?

But hey, if our team can go to the point where our commentary was the weakest point, I'd take that any day. :mrgreen:

Wally_West

Re: Steve Albert...

Post by Wally_West »

I remember last year, not sure if anyone else can remember, but I could have sworn at point in broadcast he said he wanted Scarlett Johansson as a Christmas present. Because of that, I’m okay with him. lol

TOO

Post by TOO »

I don't mind him, mostly because he's not a massive homer. Nothing worse than announcers that come off as one sided fans to me.
Jones and Vogel gotta go.

JeffreyLee

Post by JeffreyLee »

Wally_West wrote:I remember last year, not sure if anyone else can remember, but I could have sworn at point in broadcast he said he wanted Scarlett Johansson as a Christmas present. Because of that, I’m okay with him. lol
Guy knows what he wants. Cant be mad at that xmas wish list.
You sold me two quier giraffes

JeffreyLee

Post by JeffreyLee »

JeffreyLee wrote:
Wally_West wrote:I remember last year, not sure if anyone else can remember, but I could have sworn at point in broadcast he said he wanted Scarlett Johansson as a Christmas present. Because of that, I’m okay with him. lol

I like Eddie, but i hate when he brings up his playing days all the time. He's a great guy but i rather hear him talk about our current team. He brings up his carear to much.

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

JeffreyLee wrote:
JeffreyLee wrote:

I like Eddie, but i hate when he brings up his playing days all the time. He's a great guy but i rather hear him talk about our current team. He brings up his carear to much.
Yeah, he can have his Al Bundy moments.

DesertcoastPartDeux

Post by DesertcoastPartDeux »

I think Steve Albert was another of those "We're The Suns..let's get the Less Talented Brother!" moments we've been guilty of ( please don't make me rattle off the list)

Maybe the Morris Twins taught us something ....maybe we'll trade Tom Leander and a bag of pop rocks for Marv Albert ....we'll be good to go...

Mori Chu

Post by Mori Chu »

Steve Albert isn't phenomenal, but I don't hate him. There are definitely better and worse lead announcers out there. I have to say that after Leander anything is an improvement. Trust me, it was worse before Albert.

Ring_Wanted

Post by Ring_Wanted »

JeffreyLee wrote:
JeffreyLee wrote:

Funny, because that's what I like about EJ. If he is not sharing his experiences, he is just telling me what just happened and also that 'yeah, he can do that...'. Well, we know he can. He just did!

JeffreyLee

Post by JeffreyLee »

Ring_Wanted wrote:
JeffreyLee wrote:
JeffreyLee wrote:

Funny, because that's what I like about EJ. If he is not sharing his experiences, he is just telling me what just happened and also that 'yeah, he can do that...'. Well, we know he can. He just did!
I like what he brings to the younger guys to the team, he seems to be a mentor to them at times.

In2ition

Post by In2ition »

Not a huge fan of Albert. I guess mostly, I'm just jealous of San Antonio's play by play guy.

I do like Eddie, he's probably the best of all the broadcasters for the Suns, but some of the time he gives off the impression that everyone is dumb except him.
"When we all think alike, nobody is thinking" - Walter Lippmann
"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them." ~ Frederick Douglass

Wally_West

Post by Wally_West »

I think the Clippers have a pretty solid broadcast team.

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Charlie Smithy! wrote:But hey, if our team can go to the point where our commentary was the weakest point, I'd take that any day. :mrgreen:
Why is it that I feel that comment is pointed directly at me? :lol:
"Be Legendary."

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

Wally_West wrote:I think the Clippers have a pretty solid broadcast team.
"The first to 100 wins. It's the law. Lawler's Law."
"Be Legendary."

Charlie Smithy!

Superbone wrote:
Charlie Smithy! wrote:But hey, if our team can go to the point where our commentary was the weakest point, I'd take that any day. :mrgreen:
Why is it that I feel that comment is pointed directly at me? :lol:
8-)

:mrgreen:

:lol:

Culburn369

Post by Culburn369 »

I like him. He ain't been corrupted by that asshole EJ yet. Early on I was sitting, reading, watching the game off'n & on when I heard Albert for the first time. He ain't got that aggravating way that the rest do. It's not personal with him. They well call him in and tell him to knock it off, but, he's got some semblance of decency unlike that drunken bastard Tom Chambers and mean old man EJ.

Xylus

Post by Xylus »

The only problem I have with Steve Albert is that his jokes land flat every time. Every time he pops a clever quip, you can hear the audible facepalm on the other side of EJ's mic.

I might be in the minority, but I was fond of certain Leanderisms. Whenever Amare slammed it home, I enjoyed hearing about his rise to the 10th floor, where he'd often elevate and, yes, detonate.

Culburn369

Post by Culburn369 »

Xylus wrote:The only problem I have with Steve Albert is that his jokes land flat every time. Every time he pops a clever quip, you can hear the audible facepalm on the other side of EJ's mic.

I might be in the minority, but I was fond of certain Leanderisms. Whenever Amare slammed it home, I enjoyed hearing about his rise to the 10th floor, where he'd often elevate and, yes, detonate.
Of course because EJ won't help him. Eddie treats him with condescension & resentment. Only a deaf man can't hear it. It's terribly uncomfortable listening to it. Yet, when the Drysdale girl gets in there the banter has a clarity and goodness that is readily apparent. EJ is like Luis Gonzalez for the D'Backs:::both are intellectually dishonest soreheads who are both in dire need of an attitude adjustment via a shoe store being built in each of their asses.

- Pappy

Charlie Smithy!

Xylus wrote:The only problem I have with Steve Albert is that his jokes land flat every time. Every time he pops a clever quip, you can hear the audible facepalm on the other side of EJ's mic.

Pretty much this.

Ol' Steve made a Elton Brand/Elton John quip that instantly sent my chords into the falsetto chorus of Tiny Dancer, circa 1971:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPlqGBOVYP0

Superbone

Post by Superbone »

I'm telling you, sometime Albert makes me pine for the Leander days.
"Be Legendary."